Photo board Assignment: Scavenger Hunt, July – October 2013

These are all great!! I'm going on a photo walk this afternoon, so I'm hoping I can get some shots to fit some categories - if not it's shots from my home town!!! :rotfl:

Tazdev - great shots. I'm still on Photobucket but am ready to ditch it for Flickr. The new version takes a lot of getting used to!

Heather - hope to see your shots soon!

Welcome to the Photo Board Scavenger Hunt!

The purpose of this Assignment is to get out and have fun using our cameras, maybe learning a few things along the way, so pictures should be new as often as possible (though if you have a relatively new picture that fits a category, you can use it). All cameras and skill levels are welcome.

We'll run until October 15th. No prizes can be rewarded other than recognition for a job well done!

Where possible, please use pictures taken from 1 July. If you do have a recent (2013’ish) picture already on file, by all means post it – but the intent of this hunt is to get out and about.

Cool may do this if I can find the time.

From the Disney Songbook collection and also from a Photowalk of Melbourne.

Be Our Guest

Last weekend,the Open House Melbourne event was held in Melbourne. This event showcases many of the city's buildings to the public, providing a free and rare opportunity to discover a hidden wealth of architectural, engineering and historic buildings nestled around the city.

I started out at the Royal Society Building.

The Royal Society of Victoria has been an active and vital part of Melbourne's scientific heritage since 1854. Membership is open to anyone interested in science and the promotion of science for the benefit of the community.

Located in the heart of Melbourne, the Society's Hall at 9 Victoria Street (entrance 8 La Trobe Street) is the venue for an interesting program of public scientific lectures, symposia and events to promote the sciences to the Victoria and Australian community. These lectures are open to the public.

This room was where the doomed Burke and Wills expedition was planned and started out of. Poorly planned, poorly executed and with both Burke and Wills losing their life during the expedition, their story is one that is part of the folklore of Australian history,

When their bodies were returned, they laid them out in state here. Their funeral was the first State Funeral in Victoria. According to the docent, there would have been 120,000 people living in Victoria in those days. Apparently, 80,000 - 100,000 of them came to pay their respects!

The Society continues to publish various scientific journals today. And whilst a number of their journals are now of the electronic variety, the dates of these tomes stretch all the way back to 1854.

The other claim to fame of this building is this room.

Reputed to be the first raked/raised seating theatre in Australia, this room is now where the public lectures are held. In the early days, they conducted disections in here and the raised seats allowed everyone to see.

My second go-see was Wesley Church. I'm claiming this one as Touch the Sky.

I chose this church because I walk past it on a very regular basis and everytime I've checked, the church is closed. Rather an uncharitable thing to do for a church!

The church was designed by Joseph Reed, who also designed the Melbourne Town Hall, the Scots' Church and the Independent Church. It might not be as opulent as some of the major churches around town, but it was charming in it's own right.

That organ pipe? It's the first in Melbourne!

The leadlight is rather pretty in here....

....as is the front chapel.

This church goes back to the 1840's and the location in Lonsdale Street is a rather curious thing. I believe that in those days, the streets around this part of town were known for their bordello's and associated trimmings.

My third Open House was one that I was rather familiar with. I had spent a bit of time studying in this location when I was at University. The memories are always bittersweet in here but I've always remembered the architecture.

I am in the State Library of Victoria.

The State Library of Victoria (SLV) takes up a complete city block in what can only be described as super prime real estate space. It is on the block bounded by Swanston, La Trobe, Russell, and Little Lonsdale streets, in the northern centre of the central business district.

With a repository of over 2 million books and 16,000 serials, including the diaries of the city's founders, John Batman and John Pascoe Fawkner, and the folios of Captain James Cook, R.N., this is THE major resource to come to when you're totally frustrated by the University libraries.

The Queen's Hall was opened this weekend. It is one of those areas that are completely closed off to the general public during the rest of the year. This hall was opened in 1856 and is in need of major refurbishment. However, take a look at it......

I See the Light. Absolutely gorgeous!

There are a number of reading/study rooms in the library.

Did you see it? The mash-up of Arabian Nights Can you Feel the Love Tonight!

This is the Redmond Barry Reading Room, where I spent quite a few afternoons in. Redmond Barry was the founder of Melbourne University.

I used to head upstairs.

Which is where I headed to for a trip down memory lane. It really is Part of Your/My World.

There are also a number of Galleries in the SLV. This one is the Cowen Gallery.

It is flanked by the Red and Blue Rotundas. Guess which one I went into?

But the place I was really heading to in the SLV is the Dome Galleries. I've never been able to bring a camera in here until now!

Each level in here houses amazing artwork and there is even Ned Kelly's armour on one of the floors. But I was really here for the view.

Top......(another Touch the Sky)

...and Bottom!

Every year, I keep saying that I need to dedicate the whole weekend to 'go-see's. Maybe next year!

princess::upsidedow

Love your pictures Princess and Love the way you tell a story with them too:)
I wish I had that knack!

Great pics Princess.

After debating which category for the next set of pics I decided for in the Tiki Tiki Room. Now anybody who knows me or has read a TR here knows I am terrified of birds. However I love taking pictures of birds. So here are the birds.

Black Swan

Coscoroba Swan

Humboldt Penguins, and a very rare treat. They were in the water swimming

Magpie Shrike

Buff Crested Bustard and Egyptian Plover

Palawan Peacock Pheasant

Mariana Fruit Dove

Bali Mynah

I'm not sure what the next few birds are

Yellow Knobbed Curassow

Nicobar Pigeon

Inca Tern, I loved the handlebar mustache

Saffron Finch

Blue Dacnis

Blue Grey Tanager

Sunbittern

And finally some Lorikeets. These were really hard for me because it was a Lorikket Encounter. You are given a small cup of nectar, I passed, and then when you go in the birds land on you to feed. I was terrified and fascinated at the same time. Thankfully only one bird attempted to land on me and flew away quickly.

Blue Streaked Lory

Australian Rainbow Lorikeet or Black Capped Lory

Possibly the Rainbow again

Black Capped Lory

I have avoided the Avian center or rushed through it when visiting the zoo. This trip I took the Philly Phlash from my last batch of pics after a doctors appointment and went to the zoo just to take pics of the birds. These hunts have not only gotten me out using the camera they have also helped me deal with a life long fear.

A funny story though. While I was taking pics I noticed some blue billed ducks in a corner. I had seen them before in Disney and had never gotten what type they were. I was really happy about that and the girl working in the aviary started chatting with me. I mentioned this to her and she looked at me rather oddly. She loves Disney and has a trip planned soon. She never knew that in the Animal Kingdom on the Pangani Trail there are all kinds of birds. She now has a new quest when she goes there this year. I got pics of birds and spread some Disney cheer.

Beautiful pictures Tazdev!!! Do you use a tripod?

Thanks. I actually did those all hand held. Didn't want to carry to much equipment around on the train during rush hour.

I've finally been through my pictures from Disney- here's the first batch of Scavenger Hunt pics!

A Pirate's Life For Me

Tortuga Tavern by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Why is the rum gone? by bianchiea5, on Flickr

A Spoonful of Sugar

Honey Spoons by bianchiea5, on Flickr

This is part of A Whole New World at the Magic Kingdom

Beast's Castle by bianchiea5, on Flickr

This is my version of Arabian Nights at Disney- taken from the Sunshine Tree Terrace area, behind the Magic Carpets

Wishes by bianchiea5, on Flickr

We managed to get in to Be Our Guest, but we didn't have any grey stuff

Be Our Guest by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Chocolate Cupcake by bianchiea5, on Flickr

BOG ceiling by bianchiea5, on Flickr

BOG window by bianchiea5, on Flickr

This is the area Between Two Worlds- Fantasyland and Frontierland

Untitled by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Then it was time to Chow Down

Strawberry Champagne Cheesecake by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Duck two ways by bianchiea5, on Flickr

French Onion Soup by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Here's the Circle of Life, or our Spaceship Earth

Spaceship Earth HDR by bianchiea5, on Flickr

And lastly for tonight, let's look at the Colors of the Window

Rainbow over Main Street by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Wow, there are some amazing photo's here. This looks like so much fun. Can I join in? I need an excuse to get the old Canon out ;)

Tazdev - great shots of birds!! Where was that?

kofslinky - Welcome back. Your holiday looks great. That's a great interpretation of spoonful of sugar. :rotfl:
And I'm hungry just looking at the duck two ways.

MissHippy - Please join in. The more the merrier and it's not about how old your Canon is.....but the fact that you HAVE a Canon. :duck:
(Seriously......this is not about what equipment you have; rather just to have fun and to get out and about taking pictures.)

Tazdev - great shots of birds!! Where was that?

kofslinky - Welcome back. Your holiday looks great. That's a great interpretation of spoonful of sugar. :rotfl:
And I'm hungry just looking at the duck two ways.

MissHippy - Please join in. The more the merrier and it's not about how old your Canon is.....but the fact that you HAVE a Canon. :duck:
(Seriously......this is not about what equipment you have; rather just to have fun and to get out and about taking pictures.)

Loved your pics Princess. The last one at the library reminds me of the layout of a prison here. Weird I know but it was the model for many prisons here in the states. I may try and get there this summer.

My bird pictures were all taken at the Philadelphia Zoo. We have a really nice avian center as well as some outdoor areas there.

kofslinky very nice pics.

Thank you everyone for the kind words so far. Here's another set:

Everybody has a laughing place

Brer Rabbit by bianchiea5, on Flickr

I think we can all agree that Everybody wants to be a cat

Tiger Tiger by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Then, we walk around the corner to Feed the Birds

I was in New Fantasyland, and I was here, thinking Hakuna Matata

Here's a Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride, or more appropriately a Polynesian Monorail Ride (taken from the platform)

Poly monorail by bianchiea5, on Flickr

I see the light, and it's even in the new Tangled area!

It's a small world after all

IASW by bianchiea5, on Flickr

IASW Heaven Room by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Welcome to the Tiki Room, where the birds sing words and the flowers croon

These are Just Around The Riverbend from each other

BTMR by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Splash HDR by bianchiea5, on Flickr

Liberty Belle by bianchiea5, on Flickr

And for our last tidbit this time around, he deserves some Kanine Krunchies

Pluto by bianchiea5, on Flickr

I wish there was a like button here. These photo's are great.
Thanks Princess, I will hopefully get started this weekend :thumbsup2

Loved your pics Princess. The last one at the library reminds me of the layout of a prison here. Weird I know but it was the model for many prisons here in the states. I may try and get there this summer.

I think that's why I preferred the Redmond Barry reading room rather than the Dome Galleries. :lmao:

kofslinky - WOW!! Great pics. You've labelled one with "HDR". Are you happy with it?

kofslinky - WOW!! Great pics. You've labelled one with "HDR". Are you happy with it?

Thanks Princess! I labeled one as HDR since I bracketed the three images together, but I'm not sure I'm quite happy with it. It was my first real attempt, so for a first try it's not bad, but if you've got any suggestions I'd love to hear them!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter