• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

phone service in Europe

coastiewifern

DIS Veteran
We are traveling to Europe this summer and will need to have cell and data coverage as we will be making spur of the moment lodging reservations. We have verizon in the USA. What is the most economical way to get coverage in Europe for 2 weeks?

The most economical way is to get a SIM card when you get over there. For Verizon, their only international plan is $40 for a month and you only get 100mb of data, plus 100 minutes of calls and 100 outgoing text messages. If you get a SIM card when you get there it will be much cheaper.

OK sounding silly but can you get them at the airport? If not where do you get one when you get over there?

The most economical way is to get a SIM card when you get over there. For Verizon, their only international plan is $40 for a month and you only get 100mb of data, plus 100 minutes of calls and 100 outgoing text messages. If you get a SIM card when you get there it will be much cheaper.

DH and I both have iPhones, so we can't crack them open like my old Droid - any advice on SIM cards for iPhone users, or is this just not an option?

OK sounding silly but can you get them at the airport? If not where do you get one when you get over there?

I haven't done it yet (will be doing it next week), but I believe that usually you can get them at the airport. There are usually kiosks, from what I've read.

DH and I both have iPhones, so we can't crack them open like my old Droid - any advice on SIM cards for iPhone users, or is this just not an option?

Iphones have SIM cards that you can pop out too.

What countries are you visiting? Because every country has different providers. As soon as you cross a border you will pay more for data, texts and calls. So that would mean you buy a new SIM in every country you visit.

What countries are you visiting? Because every country has different providers. As soon as you cross a border you will pay more for data, texts and calls. So that would mean you buy a new SIM in every country you visit.

Some SIMs cover multiple countries.

On my last trip to Europe, I had no problems finding plenty of free wifi. To "call" home, I used Facetime. You can also use Skype, WhatsApp, and Viber. They all work with wifi. I have Verizon too. I just put the phone in airplane mode and turned on the wifi. Worked perfectly and cost nothing.

I have no idea. We are winging it. Using a buddy pass and whatever flight to Europe we can catch we will. Then once we get there we will quickly have to make lodging plans. Hoping to use Airbnb to make reservations so will need data. We are hoping to make it to Spain and Italy but it could be anywhere

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter