Phone Service at Ports

msminniemouse

DIS Veteran
Has anyone used their cell phones in any of the ports successfully?
I will be going on Western Cruise, and have Verizon cell phone service. I called Verizon and they said that it is about $1.00 to $1.19 per minute roaming charges, depending on the island.

DITTO!!!!! I can't wait till DH has no internet and cell phone service so he can connect with his family!!!! He is a conductor for Union Pacific and has caotic hours----I am sure he will be going through withdrawals:rotfl:

On the Western, Key West works fine as it is part of the US. Great cell service. As to the other ports....you are on vacation, forget it! If you need to communicate back home, there are cheap coin operated phones in the ports and the crew members know where you can sometimes get a 5 minute call or a short amount of internet time free. They'll tell you if you ask.

I don't really know about the cell phone charges, but I would be very cautious about charging to a credit card or using a calling card. In Nassau, years ago, the pay phones would not use calling cards. To charge it, cost a small fortune. (Over $10/min.)

(I understand the other answers, but I know that some things need you to call back for - someone watching the kids, ill relatives, etc.)

I used Cingular in the Nassau port (July 07) and the charge was 1.99 a minute. While using it at sea Disney charged 1.99 per the ship port.

If you use the room phone it is like 6.95 a minute :scared1: DH has nextel and it wouldn't work anywhere.

I used my phone to call everyone from the ship. I was so excited to be their it was my first cruise. I have Verizon I had them put coast to coast on it and it didnt cost that much. Call people its fun.:thumbsup2 :cutie:

I used my phone to call everyone from the ship. I was so excited to be their it was my first cruise. I have Verizon I had them put coast to coast on it and it didnt cost that much. Call people its fun.:thumbsup2 :cutie:

What is coast to coast? Is that the same thing as enabling international dialing, which Verizon said would be free?

We enabled our international calling on Verizon just prior to leaving. We had service in Nassau and on the boat but did not at Castaway Cay. Since we just got back yesterday, I haven't checked our bill yet. From what I've read, etc. we are expecting it to be around $2.00/minute. We had kids at home so we had to check in periodically. Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter