Phone Cards For Calling The UK

walkerford

Mouseketeer
Don't know if anyone can help with this, but when we have travelled to the states before we have always purchased a phone card from the travel agents which has allowed us to phone back to the UK from the resort. The cards were like a credit card size with a scratch off patch on the back which revealed a pin number, calling the access number then allowed the kids to call back to nan and grandad to make them jealous!
We have tried to get one this year but none of the travel agents seem to have any.
Does anyone know where I can pick one up from/ order one as it really did save a lot of money when we have used them in the past.
We travel out to Villas at Wilderness Lodge for 2 weeks on the 12th so if any one has any info then that would be great.
Thanks in adnance. Nigel

you can buy them at WDW resorts and the airport for sure - they may be more expensive than buying them somewhere like Walmart but as non-USA drivers we have to get them in the main areas :goodvibes:

It's not really what you've after, but we've found truphone to be excellent.
http://www.truphone.com

You get a sim for your own phone, with a global number and local number for the US. Rates to call back to the Uk are good, and you only pay a local rate whilst in Florida.

Calls to Uk (when you're in the US) are: 22p/min to mobiles, 10p/min to landlines and SMS are 10p each, not bad for transatlatic calls and texts.

Calls when in the US to other US numbers are: 10p/min to other mobiles, 10p to land lines and 8p/text.

I think data works out at 20p/mb, which compared to the £8/mb my phone provider charges is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worth a look.

I know that in the past we have bought phone cards from vending machines at downtown disney and under the rail station at magic kingdom, but the times that we got on these were a lot less than on the ones that we had bought in the uk.

Try an AT&T phone card; those work on all payphones too and have an 800 number (so hotel phones should be free with an 800 number).

I always buy ours off the internet. Do a search for phone cards.

For $20 get something like 1000 minutes. Much better than ones you buy in Walmart.

Would definitely not buy from travel agents though. Just another thing for them to sell you to make more money (not that I ever use travel agents anyway).

This is something we are going to do, probably get one from Walgreens / Walmart. Can you use the in room telephones at the WDW Resorts with the phone cards? I have never had a phone card here or abroad so haven't a clue how they work :)

This is something we are going to do, probably get one from Walgreens / Walmart. Can you use the in room telephones at the WDW Resorts with the phone cards? I have never had a phone card here or abroad so haven't a clue how they work :)

Yes, but some cards have a 99c surcharge if you use from public phone/hotel phone....

Yes, but some cards have a 99c surcharge if you use from public phone/hotel phone....

When using a phone card from a public phone most, if not all, have a surcharge of between 65c - 99c. It's a FCC imposed charge. It can quickly "eat" all your credit on a card.

I have taken the plunge and bought a card over the internet. I have to say in the past that when we have used the cards purchased in the uk we have never paid any surcharge when used at the hotels in Disney. Will just have to wait and see this time. I have a pin e mailed to me and an access number to call, I will report back!

I have taken the plunge and bought a card over the internet. I have to say in the past that when we have used the cards purchased in the uk we have never paid any surcharge when used at the hotels in Disney. Will just have to wait and see this time. I have a pin e mailed to me and an access number to call, I will report back!

I suppose it depends if hotel phone is classed as a payphone or not?

I suppose it depends if hotel phone is classed as a payphone or not?

And whether it's a local access number or a 800 access number. I thought Disney charged 75c for each 800 number dialled though that may have changed.

Some cards have a good surcharge per call even if you don't use a pay phone (a larger surcharge if you do use a pay phone). My own experience is that I like the ones that have a low surcharge or no surcharge even if the per minute rate is higher.

Truphone works in unlocked phones.

I have just received mine, took two days to arrive :thumbsup2

Trying to work out what numbers to use when ringing a uk mobile etc, do I need to put a code in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter