• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

phone calls from room?

pampam

DIS Veteran
What is the best way (most economical way) to make long distance phone calls from my room? Usually I go to a pay phone and use my calling card #. Is it more reasonable to buy a phone card and use it from my room? I've even considered buying a cell phone and taking it with me but I suspect that could cost even more money. I really don't want to be paying unnessasary charges. It is somewhat of a nuisence to be running to a pay phone in the lobby, especially if the person I am calling is not there and I have to make repeated trips.

If memory serves, you get a pretty high (as hotels go) charge every time you use the phone, even if you use a calling card. Some hotels charge 50 cents, but I'm thinking that WDW charges $1.00.

Cell phones have gotten so cheap now -- if you shop around you can find a free phone with really low monthly rates. We all have those plans with no roaming charges (one rate per month for X numer of minutes) and they start at very low rates. I only use my cell phone at WDW.

Get yourself a cell phone, it's a lot cheaper in the long run and alot more convenient.

If you won't be needing the cell phone when you're not on vacation, it's going to cost you a lot more in the long run. I would go with the calling card...Sam's has the cheapest I've seen. There are phones all over, if they're not home the first time you call, try later from wherever you're at.

I second the calling card from Sam's. Why get a cell phone if you only need it for the trip. If you buy a prepaid phone the minutes are expensive.

I should have added I will be calling out of country. I allready have a calling card # from my plan at home. I have never used a prepaid phone card. Is it difficult? Will it save me money? I have a cell phone but it is set up on a minimum # of minutes per month, local use only.

That's a good question - why don't you ask over on the UK-DIS board?

I know that when I go to Europe the calling cards seem to be the way to go -- (So cheap!) But I don't know how it is in reverse. I'd be curious to know about this, too.

It is possible to rent a cell phone at WDW - I've done it. We needed an extra one to keep tabs on a large group. But I don't remember how we arranged it -- I know I found out about it on these boards. Does anyone remember?

Back in October it was 75 cents to use a calling card from your room at All Star sports.

Also wanted to add I know if you use a calling card from like Wal-Mart at a pay phone they charge you minutes. The one I have right now from Walmart(at&t prepaid phone card) says *a surcharge of at least 9 minutes(subject to increase)applies to all pay phones.

Originally posted by shelleyz
Also wanted to add I know if you use a calling card from like Wal-Mart at a pay phone they charge you minutes. The one I have right now from Walmart(at&t prepaid phone card) says *a surcharge of at least 9 minutes(subject to increase)applies to all pay phones.

We are charged nine minutes for using our card at a pay phone, but, at less than .03 a minute, it comes out to like .25 cents per call...cheaper than a local call! :D

All outside numbers dialed from your room phone will be charged a $0.75 per connection. (local, 800, internet, etc...)

Long distance charges will be the connection charge, plus the AT&T Operator Assist Day rate plus a 55% surcharge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter