• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Phone and Internet- Ability to work from cruise?

Internet on the ship is very slow and there really isn't a way around that. The best he'd be able to do is connect to internet when in port, but sea days would just be filled with frustration. Maybe look at a cruise with very few sea days? Or a quick 3 night cruise over the weekend? I'm not sure if he needs to work weekends, but if you did that cruise you'd be able to work most of the day Friday and back early morning Monday. You could pair it with a land trip somewhere where internet will be reliable.

Have you looked into a satellite phone for phone access? Rentals are fairly inexpensive and would at least solve the no cell service problem.

That sure is a grim narrative! I’d be surprised if it happened all that often. I tell you what, though, if a company is choosing between two people who to keep and who to go, and one who checked out on vacation and weekends while the other worked 24/7, they are going to keep the one who put in more hours.

I keep thinking about that government lawyer who refused to come in to a weekend emergency hearing on child separation cases (which I worked on, on the other side than the government) because she had “dog walking responsibilities.” She had an attitude that her personal life was more important than getting traumatized kids out of cells and back to their parents. and I hardly think that is something to be proud of.

I’m not sure I agree that’s the case of companies ridding their lower hour employees. If the high hour employee made WAY more money than the lower hour employee, guess which one would go, especially if they’re older.

I’m not sure I agree that’s the case of companies ridding their lower hour employees. If the high hour employee made WAY more money than the lower hour employee, guess which one would go, especially if they’re older.

I guess it depends on the industry you are in. I was at a law firm, and they charge by the hour so more hours=more money in that business. We were also expressly told it was a job requirement to work during vacation if any work arose on our cases, and that frequently turned out to be true: I would spend as much of the vacation day as I could with my family, and then work from 9pm to 4am (or sometimes all night) on my laptop before sleeping a couple of hours and starting the next day, not because I thought I was "essential" or "special" but because I was told I had to by the person paying my paycheck. I was even told in that job I had to work when I had actual pneumonia, and when my grandmother passed away. Glad to be now in a different job that allows "real" vacation (and sleep). And it is not all in my head: I do actually know of someone who was let go because he took all of his vacation days and that was seen as a sign of poor judgment/work ethic.

Not trying to throw a pity party, but I just find it really harsh that so many people here are saying some variation of if you work on vacation it is because you either have too high an opinion of your own worth or because you don't understand how your own job works. Not every job gives you a choice.

I guess it depends on the industry you are in. I was at a law firm, and they charge by the hour so more hours=more money in that business. We were also expressly told it was a job requirement to work during vacation if any work arose on our cases, and that frequently turned out to be true: I would spend as much of the vacation day as I could with my family, and then work from 9pm to 4am (or sometimes all night) on my laptop before sleeping a couple of hours and starting the next day, not because I thought I was "essential" or "special" but because I was told I had to by the person paying my paycheck. I was even told in that job I had to work when I had actual pneumonia, and when my grandmother passed away. Glad to be now in a different job that allows "real" vacation (and sleep). And it is not all in my head: I do actually know of someone who was let go because he took all of his vacation days and that was seen as a sign of poor judgment/work ethic.

Not trying to throw a pity party, but I just find it really harsh that so many people here are saying some variation of if you work on vacation it is because you either have too high an opinion of your own worth or because you don't understand how your own job works. Not every job gives you a choice.

How horrible of a company is that. I am glad that you are out of there. To have someone work during a family funeral is completely unethical in my book. Shame on them. Thankfully, most companies are not like that.

Just updating...

I was on the 7/21 Dream, and we lost satellite connectivity for about 24 hours. They were aware and trying to fix it, but sometimes there is no easy fix.

Unless you book a Royal suite with unlimited internet access included, you will spend a fortune paying for the limited service DCL has with that kind of use
The only cruise we have done in concierge, for my wife's 60th birthday, we did stay in the Walt suite, and we went thru 3 of the maximum size packages. The cost for them was credited back to my account. Fortunately, none of this was work related and was all used by our adult son.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter