Phoenix DISers - do you fly or drive?

BrienBear said:
I'll toss my cookies into the ring!

Cookies? That would be hat. Unless you really did mean it. Lol
To toss one's cookies, means to vomit. :faint:

Peace out man! :flower:

I just moved to Phoenix from South Dakota at the end of January/beginning of February.

We've not done the drive/flight yet. But I'm happy to see it's not terrible!

Might have to stick a DLR trip in after our Sept trip to WDW

Easy Valley here, so about 6 or 6.5 hours driving depending on how many stops we make for bathroom/food. It's a hot boring drive across the desert, but it's all interstate. When my kids were little it was a tougher drive, but I still felt better if they cried/misbehaved in our car than in an airport or on the flight.

I have flown to DLR when it was just me, but if two or more people go, I think the airline cost is always going to be higher to save barely a couple hours. Plus people have pointed out the ability to bring a cooler and all your stuff -- we eat all of our breakfasts in room and that saves us a lot of time and money too.

If you are going anywhere but DLR while visiting SoCal, you're gonna want a car, so I'd rather bring my own.

BrienBear pointed out that even airline employees sometimes drive -- my sister and her family often did that when my BIL worked for US Airways. The stress of getting 5 standby seats on the same flight, combined with the rental van cost once they got there, meant they really didn't save any time or money.

PHXscuba

I've done both, but driving is prefered. It takes us about 6 hours, but it's always fun.
We're heading to DLR again in October, but we also want to visit the LA Science Museum to see the shuttle and Pompeii exhibit, so a car is a must.

We are in North Phoenix near the 51 and Shea. We've done both. For a quick weekend trip like over Fall Break or Presidents' Day we usually fly SW. For our summer vacation, i.e. longer than 6 days we drive. We usually have a beach day thrown in and it's nice to have the beach "stuff". Do all you fellow Phoenician's have AP's? Ours expired in June. Waiting until June 2015 to get new ones :(

Do all you fellow Phoenician's have AP's? Ours expired in June. Waiting until June 2015 to get new ones :(

We are hoping to get AP's for the first time in February 2015. Hoping to get in at least 3 or 4 visits with them. :thumbsup2 We usually always go around Thanksgiving with a 3 day park hopper. I'm excited to have more options and go at different times of the year. Our visit last year, December 1,2,&3, was just too short!

Do all you fellow Phoenician's have AP's?

Given that this year I will travel to San Diego a bunch for business, I picked up an AP for myself. We do family trips for Dapper Day in the spring, I've been once by myself this summer, the wife and I are going for Dapper Day in September (she will have multi-day hopper), and we are planning our now annual family trip in October for the oldest and youngest's birthdays. If I wasn't doing San Diego for business and doing short trips up to DLR, I wouldn't have bought one as 6-7 days with the family per our normal routine wouldn't have made fiscal sense.

We live in Tucson and we normally fly. As a rule we plan our trip by finding cheap airline tkts. Also there is only the 2 of us, if there were more we would drive.

We are in North Phoenix near the 51 and Shea. We've done both. For a quick weekend trip like over Fall Break or Presidents' Day we usually fly SW. For our summer vacation, i.e. longer than 6 days we drive. We usually have a beach day thrown in and it's nice to have the beach "stuff". Do all you fellow Phoenician's have AP's? Ours expired in June. Waiting until June 2015 to get new ones :(

We did just get APs again, because the Deluxe pays for itself after 2 3-day Parkhopper ticket trips and two trips would only cover DS and DD's birthday trips! We will make at least 8 trips of 3-4 days with the APs.

We recently moved from Mesa to Flagstaff and drive. We are a family of 8 and driving is much cheaper and we can bring anything we want. Lots of snacks and lots of shoes.:lmao: We don't have to leave at a specific time (this big family is typically running late and vacation is fun so I don't need the added stress of trying to make a plane flight) and we love the drive. I try to make it fun for the kids and every hour they get a little something to open, usually things I would bought for them anyway but now they get it as a gift. This year we will add about 1.25hrs to our trip do to the move but then the kids just get to look forward to one more gift.:banana:

I have driven ever since I had a 7 hour flight delay - I could have driven and then some! :)

I also like to take my own specific hair products which would require checking a bag and that's such a hassle.

So how many of you all have stopped in Cabazon and climbed into the T-Rex head? :)

I always price out flying but we always end up driving. It's right about 5.5-6 hours for us (depends on who's driving...lol) and I love being able to take the snacks we want and of course, his beer. We stop just this side of the state line for gas both ways. There's a Wendy's there too so we'll sometimes grab a bite if the lines aren't too long.

Next time, we plan to take the train out and fly back though. I've never taken the train and we can sleep on our way to DLR. :thumbsup2 The train back doesn't leave in time for him to be back to work though so we'll have to fly home or take more time off.

So how many of you all have stopped in Cabazon and climbed into the T-Rex head? :)

I just did that!
"C'mon, Simone, let's talk about your big but!"

My parents live about 15 min from there so I've gone to the dinosaurs tons of times, but I just took my kids to the paid dino attraction and I was surprised that it was much better than I expected! To me though, being able to finally get inside that T-Rex after all of my childhood years of wishing I could was worth the price of admission!

The General Patton museum is a fun little stop too (outskirts of Indio). We happened to get off at that exit to find a restroom and DS recognized it from the Mysteries At the Museum tv show so we had to check it out!

We didn't do either on a DL trip though - no time to spare!

We've been in it! But since they started charging admission for the "museum" we haven't returned. I do love seeing them though! :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter