Phantom of the Opera Movie

Charade said:
Just got back from seeing it.

Michael Crawford (is there a better Phantom?).

Yep, there was....Davis Gaines. Of course that's just my opinion but I liked him way better than Michael Crawford.

Disney_1derland said:
Yep, there was....Davis Gaines. Of course that's just my opinion but I liked him way better than Michael Crawford.

What year(s) did he play the part (and where)?

Charade said:
What year(s) did he play the part (and where)?

LA, San Francisco and Broadway. I saw him in LA and that was back in 1990-1992, after that he went to San Fran then to Broadway. He is my favorite Phantom. I've seen Michael Crawford, Robert Guillaume, lots of lesser knowns and Davis Gaines.

Disney_1derland said:
LA, San Francisco and Broadway. I saw him in LA and that was back in 1990-1992, after that he went to San Fran then to Broadway. He is my favorite Phantom. I've seen Michael Crawford, Robert Guillaume, lots of lesser knowns and Davis Gaines.

Hmm.. if he did Broadway in the early 90s, it was probably him that I saw. That's when I saw the show.

Charade said:
Hmm.. if he did Broadway in the early 90s, it was probably him that I saw. That's when I saw the show.

Did you keep your program? I just ran across several of mine last weekend while going through some old stuff. Still have a souvenir program signed by Davis Gaines. Gave me a smile :cloud9:

Charade said:
If I had to give any negative comment at all, it would be about the Phantom himself. His acting was superb but his singing was a bit rough compared to Michael Crawford (is there a better Phantom?).
You know, I was just noticing on a couple of the trailers that I've seen lately, that Gerards speaking voice sounded rough too. Now I want to go back and see the movie to remember if it was that way all the way through. Perhaps is was a deliberate choice to speak and sing in that manner, :confused3 I know he has a great speaking voice (and a WONDERFUL Scottish accent:love: )

Disney_1derland said:
Did you keep your program? I just ran across several of mine last weekend while going through some old stuff. Still have a souvenir program signed by Davis Gaines. Gave me a smile :cloud9:

No, I don't think so. I usually save stuff like that.

ibouncetoo said:
You know, I was just noticing on a couple of the trailers that I've seen lately, that Gerards speaking voice sounded rough too. Now I want to go back and see the movie to remember if it was that way all the way through. Perhaps is was a deliberate choice to speak and sing in that manner, :confused3 I know he has a great speaking voice (and a WONDERFUL Scottish accent:love: )

Not only was it a little rough, it was a little slushy. But it was only that way at certain times. His acting made up for it. He was great.

October 1996 was the end of Davis Gaines run on Broadway as Phantom( think he started on Broadway in 1993). He played the role for 5 1/2 years. He is still the person to hold the title of longest run as Phantom on Broadway.

He's not a singer though is he? I think he did a pretty good job for not being a classically trained singer like Emmy Rossum.

The critics seem to keep expecting that it would be more like a modern movie. You know, with plot twists, a very very strong and defiant heroine and the like. Except that this isn't modern. This is a musical put on the screen. They are expecting too much.

Wow, can't wait to see it! Never get to the movies.

Does anyone who has seen it think that it would be too much for my 10 yo DD? She loves musical theatre, but hasn't been exposed to the more recent, darker shows. That is likely the only way I will get to see it, sitters are hard to come by, and the nearest movie theater is about 30-40 minutes away.

If she likes musical theater, she'll like this.

eeyore0062 said:

Does anyone who has seen it think that it would be too much for my 10 yo DD? She loves musical theatre, but hasn't been exposed to the more recent, darker shows. That is likely the only way I will get to see it, sitters are hard to come by, and the nearest movie theater is about 30-40 minutes away.

I think if you explain the storyline to her beforehand then it will be fine. Otherwise, it might be a little hard to follow, but I think she'll still like it :)

eeyore0062 said:

My 11yo DD loved it. There are some scary/intense parts, so if your DD can handle that then she'll be fine.

Absolutely loved it! I've seen it four times and would recommend it to anybody. It was just fantastic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter