Pfaltzgraff vs Fiestaware

Lanshark

<font color=red>Peace be still<br><font color=purp
It's time for new everyday dishes. The last ones I bought were about 15 years ago. Since I redecorated I need different colors. I love fiestaware but there are also a few of the Pfaltzgraff patterns I like. Can anyone tell me, from a durability standpoint, which are better suited to a family? My last set of dishes has only one chip on one plate so we're careful but I am concerned about it. Do people generally mix colors of the fiesta?

OMG, I was raised on the Fiestaware...and not the kind that you can buy in the store...the original, collector's type. If we had chipped a single piece, it would be death I tell you!

It was relatively sturdy, but what you purchase new may be different.

And yes...you most definitely mix and match the colors...that's the charm of it!

My mom got Fiestaware, and the plates were too fat to fit in the dishwasher. You may want to buy just one piece from open stock and see if it fits in your machine before you buy a lot of it. I love the look, but there's no way I'd ever hand wash the everyday dishes.

I have the new Fiesta. Durable? Heck Yes! Fit in the dishwasher? Darn Skippy! (No hand washing here either). So far DS (5yo) has not managed to damage any of it either (I can't beleive I just typed that, I am so doomed now! ;)).

I have 6 different colors, and I just love how they look, even just stacked in my cabinet.

and my 92 yr old GM has the "original" (which I *pray* to inherit!). Buy the colors you like, mix old with new, it's all fun. The only trouble I had was with one pale yellow and one pale pink plate where the dye was not true (each had a wide streak). Just open the box and double check each piece before buying. Love it!
Terri the Yoopermom

Actually, I have both. I display the Fiestaware on a bakers rack. Love the way all the colors look. Very durable. Fits in my dishwasher. And I love mixing the colors when I set the table.

My Pfaltzgraph....it's OK. You can see a bunch of scratch marks in the plates from cutting meat.

I even have flatware to match:) YES you need to mix colors that's the charm of it. wben if you just do a 2 or 3 color scheme.

Wow! What a fiestaware fan club we have here. You guys told me exactly what I wanted to hear. I really wanted the fiestaware but am so practical I wanted to be convinced. Now any suggestions as to where to get it.

In my area I can find it at Marshall Fields, Kohls, Younkers, Kaufmans, Cracker Barrel and in Jcpenny Gift registry and big book catalogs.

Thanks Fire

I have 2 Kohls within about 15 minutes from me. I'll try that. I've been researching on the net the past hour or so. I never realized Fiesta was so collectible. I just like the colors:D

is Ebay.

A ballpark figure is a 5 piece place setting runs me about 25.00 plus taxes. This is for Dinner plate, Lunch plate, Soup bowl, Cup and saucer.

I also know bloomingdales sells it if you have one of those in your area.

Word of warning... I too am a Fiesta fan.

Kohl's has limited and "unusual" colors. Black, navy, yellow. That is about it.

If you watch for JCPenney to come out with their "frequent" 25% sales on catalog and on line orders you can get it at a really good price and they carry pretty much all of it. I mixed periwinkel and mint green to begin. So far have not added but would love to add salmon and yellow.

Here is another question. Do most of you like the mugs or the cups and saucers? I usually like mugs but the cups and saucers many be more flexible. Opinions anyone. I found a place online that had a 5 piece (if cup and saucer) or 4 piece (if mug) for $20 plus shipping which would put it at or over the $25 mentioned.

Go to JCpenney.com. They are having a 25% off sale if you buy two or more pieces of Fiestaware. I bought mine about eight years ago when they first started making it again. I believe it's made by the same people who made the original stuff, although the new stuff is lead free.

Also check out bettycocker.com. They carry some unusual, limited pieces as well.

Just wanted to put in a vote for Pfaltzgraff! I'm the proud owner of Yorktowne dishes and I love them!

I have the white Filigree pattern from Pfaltzgraaf... I second having lines in the plates from cutting meat... maybe it's b/c they're white dishes? But - they go right in the dishwasher, and one good thing about Pfaltzgraaf is they never retire a pattern, so you can always find the pieces you need. And the catalog they send you (if you register your pattern) has all kinds of neat stuff in it! :)

If I could pick another pattern from them, I'd go Jamberry or that vineyard one they have. I love their stuff!

Also, I have some of the light yellow Fiestaware and it shows the knife marks badly.

is i buy 5 piece place settings since this is all my area sells. and than buy coffee mug in that color.

When we were remodeling our kitchen, living room and Florida room last year, I bought ALL my Fiestaware from Ebay.
I got mostly new pieces and some old ones. I love it!
I got a TON of different things from Ebay during that period, like my kitchen faucet and disposal, other various kitchen items, 2 big area rugs from Pottery Barn, and even a couch and loveseat!
I became very good friends with the UPS man, and he was a cutie pie too! ;)

My new kitchen:
fcc767df.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter