Pets?

Rland8228

DIS Veteran
I tried to do a search and could not really find a newer post about the subject. Are we allowed to bring our dog with us in our pop up camper in April or are they not allowed with us. TIA

I tried to do a search and could not really find a newer post about the subject. Are we allowed to bring our dog with us in our pop up camper in April or are they not allowed with us. TIA

FW rules for pets in pop ups and tents say they have to be kept in containers/crates. :goodvibes

Would think that would be a safety issue for your pets, also other guests and their pets. Soft sided rv's/tents could easily be broken out of.

Okay thanks so much. Maybe I will call tomorrow and look at getting a pet site and brining the dog!

Do you have AC? It can get pretty darn hot in April, and even more so inside of a crate which is also inside of a pop-up.
We leave our AC on and I'm still paranoid that a breaker will pop or the power cord will get pulled and the "fur babies" will bake inside while we are away.

I am pretty sure if you leave your buddy in a pop up or a tent you MUST HAVE AC.

It can get pretty hot and Humid in April!

Also your dog, when left alone cannot be a barking type. We have a trailer and when we leave our dogs in the trailer we leave the TV or radio on. It works pretty well, but not likely to work in a tent or pop up.

AKK

Yes we have AC I would not even think about bringing her if I did not have AC. We may not even bring her, I just wanted to clarify what we could or could not do. Thanks

Here is a strategy that I would suggest if you want to bring your furbaby and you have a pop up with a/c and a dog that won't disturb the folks around you.

When you plan on sticking around the campground and can monitor the behavior of your pet, the temp and weather keep dog in a crate or in your pop-up at your site with the family.

When the thunderstorms are scheduled to roll in (remember we are the lightening capitol of the world here) or you can't be with your do due to other activities outside of the campground make a back up plan for your dog to stay the best friends resort (which is right around the corner from the fort). This a wonderful, classy pet resort with indoor and outdoor runs, grooming and they offer both day camp and over night stays.

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/waltdisneyworldresort/

Thanks Mmketeer, we were thinking about trying the best friends pet resort for the day. More than likely we will not bring her with us since we live with my parents and they have three dogs so she is always with someone. I don't want her to get lonely. I just wanted to see because all we will get while we are away are phone calls about how bad she is being and everything else. Which my dog is not lol.

Thanks Mmketeer, we were thinking about trying the best friends pet resort for the day. More than likely we will not bring her with us since we live with my parents and they have three dogs so she is always with someone. I don't want her to get lonely. I just wanted to see because all we will get while we are away are phone calls about how bad she is being and everything else. Which my dog is not lol.

Your welcome, I really don't want to see anyone discouraged about bringing their pet. We fought long and hard to be able to bring them (some of you will remember when we were restricted to just a couple of Full hook up loops). But, it does break my heart when I see them at the site tied up or caged and left all alone. That's great that you have family that can take care of her, they do seem to be pretty comfortable at home when they aren't all alone :) You sound like a great pet owner, I am sure you'll make the right decision for your pet and your family. :)

See you at the Fort!

When we had a popup, we brought our dog and just closed off the bunk ends so he couldn't get up there and somehow get out. Not likely since that would require him to get up off the couch and move instead of napping all day :laughing: but still, we wanted to be careful.

I'm always afraid of the ac going out and him getting overheated as well so I understand that fear. We have a travel trailer with central air now but we always leave 2 windows open and the vent fan on in the bathroom just in case.

I hate to admit this but.....Sometimes I leave the laptop up and run a live video feed so I can visual check on him from my phone throughout the day while we're at the parks or something. I know, I know...overkill :laughing::blush:

I hate to admit this but.....Sometimes I leave the laptop up and run a live video feed so I can visual check on him from my phone throughout the day while we're at the parks or something. I know, I know...overkill :laughing::blush:

What a great idea! I had never thought of this.

LOVE IT .... not overkill at all.

Although we bring the pooches with us on most trips, we have yet to bring them to the Fort. I just can't relax and be spontaneous in the parks thinking they need a potty break, it's feeding time, they're barking, the AC is out ... A video feed might help!

When we had a popup, we brought our dog and just closed off the bunk ends so he couldn't get up there and somehow get out. Not likely since that would require him to get up off the couch and move instead of napping all day :laughing: but still, we wanted to be careful.

I'm always afraid of the ac going out and him getting overheated as well so I understand that fear. We have a travel trailer with central air now but we always leave 2 windows open and the vent fan on in the bathroom just in case.

I do not believe you have a choice now in a tent or pop up, you must have a cage or crate for the dogs.

AKK

I do not believe you have a choice now in a tent or pop up, you must have a cage or crate for the dogs.

AKK

They told me animals have to be crated in a tent but as long as the popup had a hard door and box, he could stay in there with bunks end barriers. With the bunk ends closed off, and the door shut, there's no way out in the majority of current pop ups.

The canvas siding is screwed in top and bottom to the box with a metal railing. The bunk ends however are just attached with bungees underneath the bed slide on most popups and I could see a dog getting out or worse, getting hung :worried: If our dog wasn't so lazy and laid back, I wouldn't take him camping anyway just because a hyper dog would get on my nerves in a camper. Plus I wouldn't want to worry about him barking, wanting to run around, and what not.

Our hybrid bunk ends were different than the pop up and there was no way out of the bunk end unless you unzipped the emergency evacuation panel then pushed it out. we still closed them off though just to be on the safe side - those net things people use to replace the tailgate on their truck worked great for this.

I'm glad we didn't have to get a crate for 2 reasons:

1) Where would I find a crate big enough to fit this 135 pound pony/dog
2) If I did find such a crate, how would I fit it in the popup!? :laughing:

Just on a side note for those with pops ups or hybrids and have little kids or smaller dogs- If you take the mattress out of one of the bunk ends, you can fit 2 port-a-cribs up there (we did that for the little ones) so I'm sure 2 nice sized dog kennels could fit in there as well.

The Ustream video feed really helped me relax about leaving him- especially with the hybrid/popup. If we were going to a park further away like EPCOT, we would usually lock him in the van instead of the popup (it is a camper van with A/C, TV, power, kitchen, toilet, sink etc) just out of being a little paranoid. Again, we would leave the two back slider/screen windows open with the vent fan running just in case the A/C went out.

We also turn off all propane when we leave, again, overkill I know LOL

I've looked at several FW maps and cant find the dog walk areas. Where are the closest ones to the premium loops? Thanks

OP - yes, you can bring your dog to the fort. You just have to request a Pet Loop and pay a pet fee 5$ per day.

We have kennel/crate trained for years. Our Maltese is perfectly happy in her small crate. We close the window curtains and close the curtains to the beds so that the main part of the p/up will cool better since the canvas over the beds loses the cooled air quicker. I use the open wire type small crate rather than the plastic more closed in type crate. It allows for better ventilation. I also turn up the TV so she is not tempted to bark at little noises. She is older now and harder of hearing, so that will be a plus. We would not take her if we were planning a commando tour being out from park opening to closing. We are taking a more relaxed approached and plan on being back everyday for happy hour ;) and cooking dinner. So I believe this will be a good trip for the dog too. I wish the fort had a system to auto call you if they lost power. Just a thought.

In regards to "where to find a crate" I found a collapsible travel crate at PetSmart the other day, which I thought would be perfect for the camper! Just told it down and slide it under when not in use. Not that Im an expert, we just got our first puppy 2 weeks ago and he hasn't seen the motorhome yet because it's been too cold.

Since no one else has answered this one, I'll take a guess.

I believe there is a dog walk behind the 300 loop and one behind the 900 loop. And of course there is the dog park near the entrance to the 300 loop/ across from 500. Now, maybe someone who really knows, will chime in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter