Pets and the 4th

Bec3b1g

DIS Veteran
Any tips to help my dog deal with the fireworks on the 4th? Last year I tried giving her Benadryl and it didn't seem to help.

Any tips to help my dog deal with the fireworks on the 4th? Last year I tried giving her Benadryl and it didn't seem to help.

Time to go to your vet and get the meds that he/she recommends. Picked meds up for our dogs yesterday.

Reactions: Kae
I use the Thunder Jacket for my Westie. It doesn't solve it, but he seems to get over it more quickly with it on.

this is my first 4th of July with our dog. I am wondering how he will do. my biggest worry is that my BF is VERY VERY afraid of fireworks and thunder. I am worried about the dog feeding off his energy.
I think we will get out of the city for the night and spend the weekend out in the country at his parents.

Just a note to those of you that will get a sedative from your vet, they are now saying that Acepromazine, which is frequently given in these cases, actually can make the loud noises WORSE for your pet. So ask lots of questions if that is your vet's plan. Seems like a lot of doctors are now moving away from using Ace for this fear.

Definitely invest in a Thunder Shirt or Storm Defender Cape for your dog. I would also call the vet regarding medication, if the vet thinks it's necessary.

You could also try: a white noise machine, calming pheromones, ear muffs for dogs (if your pup will wear them), or actual music for dogs that's supposed to help them relax - here's a CD that is supposedly wonderful.

I think your best bet is to call the vet before doing anything. We always stay home with our dog and make sure he's SUPER tired on the 4th - we go to the park, go on very long walks, etc. in hopes of just tuckering him out. We close windows and blinds & keep the tv on (but nothing "scary" - our dog will react to stressful sounds in movies/shows like car chases, gun fights, etc).

Best of luck!

ETA: decent article about this topic (with links to the products I mentioned): http://www.thatmutt.com/2015/06/30/my-dog-has-extreme-fireworks-and-thunder-anxiety/

I was wondering if there was going to be a thread about this. DH and I have not gone out for the 4th of July in over 7 years. We have to stay home and comfort our 7 year old Pomeranian. She is terrified of fireworks. Well, all loud sounds for that matter. Recently we adopted a 2 year old Chihuahua, and this will be his first holiday with us, so we don't know how he'll react to loud sounds.

Our pom likes to chew and lick things when she's anxious. So we'll have a treat toy standing by.

Is it possible to go somewhere where you can't hear them for that evening?

Where we live, the fireworks started last night. It will be this way until July 6, or so. We medicate and have the added benefit that our vet lives about 7 houses away. Our vet medicates his dogs, as well.

I have twin sisters and one is deathly afraid of thunder and fireworks while the other could care less. When I was just at the vets I renewed her prescription for sedatives. They were not expensive and help her so much. When I was there, the doctor also suggested Prozac as an option. She said that can really come my dog down. I stuck with what I knew already worked.

What MrsDuck said, plus dogs DEFINITELY feel off their owner's emotions, so the calmer you are, the calmer they will be.

If your dog is crate trained (which I advocate for all dogs), you can do what my DM did for her Wheaten who was psychotic when it came to fireworks: wear her out during the day, give her the vet prescribed pills, move her crate into the walk in closet in the bedroom, put dog in crate and drape crate with heavy (noise deadening) moving blankets. After doing this a few times, the dog was thrilled to go to it's "cave" and take a nap! (Obviously she checked on her and didn't just lock her in there and close the door...)

And don't assume that "the country" will be quieter, we live in the middle of nowhere, and idiots will be shooting off fireworks all weekend long from their private properties, not just on the 4th. Makes me crazy....

Terri

Another vote for the thunder shirt! It worked miracles with our dog. She would still shake a bit but the shaking and anxiety were definitely decreased when she wore the shirt. Before we got the shirt, she would shake so badly that she could hardly walk.

I hear ya Yoopermom! Drives me nuts too!
We live in Providence, where fireworks are legal and people have been shooting them off all week and it will probably be doing so for the next 2 weeks. Our neighborhood is full of OLD Victorian houses close together. Im always so scared about a fire.

Our "country" getaway would be in MA where fireworks are illegal so it does cut down on it a bit (although there's always people who still have them anyways). And they live out in the middle of nowhere so it will be quite a bit better.
I am hoping the dog will be ok- I try to literally laugh off everything he's scared of so he can just learn that hey-that big branch in the street isn't scary- its fun! He hasn't been too bothered by the fireworks this past week so hopefully he does ok.
Honestly- I think it bothers my BF more then it will the dog hehehe

Back from the vet. She recommended a combo of a sedative, thunder shirt, and collar with pheromones.

Ugh. I am dreading the 3rd and the 4th. My Havanese goes crazy when she hears fireworks. I may need to call the vet. There's no way I can sleep when she is stressed out. My other dog has a thunder shirt but I think her hearing is going. May be time for another thunder shirt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter