PETRIFIED of planes..HELP!!!!!

CatDisney16

Earning My Ears
heyy all,
My mother is petrified of planes. My family and I are attending WDW in January 08 and there is 9 of us going. Please give me help or tips 2 make my mom a little better on planes. She will probably have a panic attack. She has not been on a plane for a longg time,probably aout 15 years. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Thank u!

p.s. we don't want to drive or take amtrack!

My husbands the same way. He goes to the Dr and get's a RX for Ativan, which helps him to relax and sleep most of the way.:banana: :banana: :banana:

Do you know which airline that you will be flying? For example, if it is Jet Blue, then all of the seats have TV's so maybe watching TV will keep her distracted.

I've had the same problem, have flown before years ago and in my estimate, not worth the hassle or drugs. We just go by train, easier on my mind and body. Half way through a stay I would start getting antsy about flying home and ruin the rest of my stay. We just board Amtrak, not everyone likes it, but for me, no stress, no worries, no panic and a relaxing vacation stay because I know on the way home, I can relax and unwind while the train chugs me home.

I have always been terrified of flying. 9/11 helped me safer because fo the focus on safety but I was still overboard when it came to being rational. After researching the options and talking to my doctor he suggested medication over therapy since I don't fly all that often. I find it is a great way to start my trip because:
1)It just pushes away the fear I have of flying.
2)I forget about the little nuerotic things I worry about (is the house locked?;will the cats be lonely? ).

This starts my trip off very relaxed.

But the most important thing to think about is what works for her and, of course, getting a Doctor's opinion.

I take 2 adivans.

If possible bring a dvd player and headset to watch a movie.

Pepe,
Could you tell me about amtrack? Where do you get on?
How long is the ride? How much? Do you take your car? Is there food?

Hi
I hate flying also. My doctor prescribes xanax for me and it works great. I sleep the whole time. It feels as if I'm only on the plane for about 15-20 minutes. I take it about 30 minutes before boarding and then I'm out. It's the only way to fly!!

I take 2 adivans.

If possible bring a dvd player and headset to watch a movie.

Pepe,
Could you tell me about amtrack? Where do you get on?
How long is the ride? How much? Do you take your car? Is there food?

We board in Alliance Ohio, bout 45 minute drive for us, comes in around 3:30 am, total run is about 27 hours, 3 hours layover in DC. East/west is usually late so the layover in DC is short. We then board the north/south and head to Kissimmee. Prices ahve just about stayed the same year in and year out, runs 450.00 for 2 round trip tickets. Its regular Amtrak, not Auto-train, that only boards in Lorton Virginia and that a 11 hour drive for us. We done it once 30 years ago when we thought we would need a car, putting the car on board was expensive. After 38 plus trips to WDW, we have no need for our car once on property so we use regular Amtrak, we pull into Kissimmee around 11am, if we're running on schedule and we take a cab to our resort, always on the MK section and the fare one way is about 35-38.00 and only about 20-30 minutes if that. Food on the train is expensive, but pretty good. The first leg of our trip we pack a big lunch with drinks and we usually get a roomette, small sleeper for 2, from DC to Kissimmee and this includes all meals which we then use and its all linen, nice dining when you don't have to pay for it. While we're at dinner, they prep our room for sleeping, in the am, they give you a newspaper and juice and then serve breakfast and you're pulling into Orlando, we detrain in Kissimmee, closer to WDW, less chaotic, everyone getso off in Orlando and Kissimmee is only 20 minutes further but less congested.

We have used Disney transportation over 39 visits with no problems but Disney is all walking and waiting, we always stay 10-12 nights so rushing everywhere is not what we do. We have AP's and popping in and out of different parks for just a snack or meal or to just catch a parade is no big deal. We've seen the endless stream of taillights of cars trying to leave various parks while on the bus or monorail and thats not how I want to spend my vacation behind the wheel trying to manuver the roads to find my resort. We go to the right resort bus stop and board and we're there, A/C cold and quick. We like MK mostly and stay in either the Poly or Wilderness Lodge and that either a boat or monorail ride to and fro.

Sorry for the long reply but I gave you all our reasons for using Amtrak and where we go, been using it over 10 years now, I do not like to fly anymore and driving in about the same length of time and money but the train has no stress, sheer relaxation and we arrive refreshed, non-moody and ready to begin our adventure.

Thank You Pepe! I went to the website. I found it difficult! So I gave up. We would be interested in using Amtack someday. I just bought tickets on AirTran for this year. :-)eek: getting sick thinking of flying already!:eek: )

That was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Hi
I hate flying also. My doctor prescribes xanax for me and it works great. I sleep the whole time. It feels as if I'm only on the plane for about 15-20 minutes. I take it about 30 minutes before boarding and then I'm out. It's the only way to fly!!

I agree!

I know you said you don't want to drive, but how long would the drive be for you? My family rents a motorhome so we can all ride together...there are nine of us, as well.

I take ativan too. It puts me to sleep and lets me relax. Although, this year will be a challenge for our first time taking DD to DW. Hoping DH can handle her.

heyy all,
My mother is petrified of planes. My family and I are attending WDW in January 08 and there is 9 of us going. Please give me help or tips 2 make my mom a little better on planes. She will probably have a panic attack. She has not been on a plane for a longg time,probably aout 15 years. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Thank u!

p.s. we don't want to drive or take amtrack!

If anyone can relate to this it is me. After being downtown NYC on September 11th and witnessing everything first hand I did NOT fly for 5 years!!!! While my friends and family would go away on trip after trip I would stay home and not go anywhere due to the things I saw that day and the fear I (thought) I would have on a plane.

Last July my boyfriend literally begged me to go to Las vegas with him..enough time had pasted and I was sick of living in a little bubble and constantly having anxiety and panic attacks everytime the thought of flying came up. Im happy to say i flew 5 hours to las vegas. I did cry when we first got on the plane. but i did some things that did help me.

1. I got a presciption of xanas from my doctor. I had never taken anything like this before and it def took the edge off. (oh yeah and i had a couple of drinks b4 i got on the plane as well:goodvibes ).

2. for about 3 weeks before the plan i listen to this hypnosis CD entitled OVERCOME THE FEAR OF FLYING that i bought on amazon.com Yes i looked ridiculous everynight with my headphones on listening to this cd...but i think it def worked!!!!!!

3. FLY jet blue if possible i have to say having my own little personal tv in front of me was a godsent..being able to be distracted the whole flight esp the take off and landing was beyond helpful.

4. going with family members helps as well..the support is priceless.

since july i have flown two times to las vegas and disney...and i have another flight coming up this may 5th as well to orlando for our trip to disneyworld again!!!!

I can def understand someone fears when it comes to flying the biggest thing that helps me on the plane is all of the above and DEEP BREATHS!!!

Don't make it a big deal. That only hightens the concern. You and your husband should just go about it as though it was the most normal thing in the world to do. No need to be continously reassuring, that actually works against what you're trying to do.

For those of you who do not want to take narcotics (Ativan and Xanax) a good alternative would be Dramamine (motion sickness medication). That's what I take before flying, and it can make you quite drowsy. I also caution "having a few drinks" and taking these narcotics at the same time, especially if you're not used to these medications on a regular basis. Alcohol and narcotics are not a good combination. Just my 2 cents from the nursing profession.

I too have scared to death of flying, but what helps me is the fact that my children are there, how can mommy be scared in front of the kids? So far this has worked great. Now I will say that if the kids are not there, I can't get on the plane. No drugs is powerful enough to make that happen, don't ask me why, but I just can't do it. The one thing that really helps me when we do go is listening to music. For me that is the best relaxation technique. You might find out what works for your mom. Another thing we did was read books about flying to the kids, while they were for the kids, I learned some, and that helped also.
In general I am so happy to know that I am not alone with this fear.

Thanks for the words of wisdom BusyMomto3...

The advise 'take some medication and a drink' always makes me cringe.

i have SEVERE anxiety, and panic attacks. i didnt mind flying when i was younger..we had not flown in about 12 years. we have taken Amtrak numerous trips, like 8, 9 or more times. well ............last month my dh and i FLEW Jet Blue to Texas. my dd, baby grandson and son in law are at Fort Hood.he is in the army. they moved down there on Jan 2.i missed them so much that i was going crazy. ....my sister and also sister in law had also recently flown and used lorazpan.. my family and friends were SHOCKED when i told them i was flying, im serious i do not know anyone with such anxiety as me. and everyone would tell me, Oh just have a drink (i dont drink) or just relax................hello...........people dont understand when you have such panic,etc. well anyways,sorry this is long. i took 1/2 pill early 3 am. and the other 1/2 before we got on board the plane. i was NOT nervous at all. i actually was so EXCITED bacause i knew when we got to Austin, Tx. wewould see my daughter and grandson at the airport. i know people frown on taking drugs to fly, but pleas let your mother know that this will really help. i am looking forward to flying again to see them. i never thought i would say that............hah...........Sorry this was so long. ........oh yeah my Darling Grandson turned 1 year old today................have a great trip.

hi im sorry i forgot to mention after getting on the flight, we had tvs , and snacks. i actually slept off and on . but i was not nervous,scared or anything. it just made me sleepy. i did not even think about flying home either, i was fine. and like i said, i will be flying again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter