Petition: 'Make Plus-Size Princesses In Disney Movies!'

Okay, I'll be "That Guy" and ask the question:

If you expressed your support for Disney simply representing "life" in this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3228589

Why would you not support this aspect of the same concept? Doesn't society contain an ample (excuse the pun) percentage of Plus-Size people?

I'm surprised to see a different sort of response here (jokes about buffets, etc).

I certainly don't think it would be a bad idea for Disney to include a plus sized princess. I do think that Disney is moving more in that direction. Think of the animated movie, The Incredibles. At least people saw the natural results of aging and child bearing. Even with the diet and exercise, older Mr. Incredible never looks quite the same as young Mr. Incredible. Same with Elastigirl.

What’s next? Writing a superhero movie about a guy who saves a cat from a tree because little Johnny can’t relate to Thor?

Superhero movies are exactly what they should be; entertainment and are not real. They take us away from every day life and offer us pure 'who cares' for the length of the movie. Why on earth a princess movie should be treated ANY different is beyond me.

I think this idea is ridiculous. I'm a plus-size woman at size 18 and I'm a huge Disney nut. I don't feel that this is needed. The only extra representation of Disney princesses I agree with is racial. Belle is my favorite princess but, as an African-American it was a nice change of pace to see Tiana become a princess. I think that cartoons are cartoons and great storytelling is what's most important. Growing up, I never focused on how skinny or fat a princess was. I just enjoyed the stories for what they were, and I hope my future children will do the same. :earsboy:

+1. ...and I'm a white guy. :) I was glad to se Tiana - AND that was a great movie.

What about how the hero/men are always ridiculously proportioned as well, with huge pecs & biceps, trim waists? You don't hear us guys belly aching about that image portrayed. :headache:

Really, I just wish people would put their chin up and try harder. The end result would be better for everyone.

Really, I just wish people would put their chin up and try harder. The end result would be better for everyone.

This! Very well said.

I must say though, that I come down firmly on both sides of this issue: On the one side, from the parents perspective, it is up to them to instill proper values and self esteem in their children. I know people of various sizes that never had an issue with Barbie or Disney because they were taught to ignore cultural expectations and they were given a sense of self worth.

On the other hand, from Disney's perspective, what would it hurt to have a somewhat larger princess? It would have to be written well and designed carefully, but it could be done.

There shouldn't be an obligation to do such a thing because a few people want it.

The same way there shouldn't be an obligation to do such a thing for a princess who is mexican, or from india, or who is parapalegic, or whatever.

There can be a case made for a lot of princesses, but there's a lot more involved to a story than just "this one is fat"

I think this idea is ridiculous. I'm a plus-size woman at size 18 and I'm a huge Disney nut. I don't feel that this is needed. The only extra representation of Disney princesses I agree with is racial. Belle is my favorite princess but, as an African-American it was a nice change of pace to see Tiana become a princess. I think that cartoons are cartoons and great storytelling is what's most important. Growing up, I never focused on how skinny or fat a princess was. I just enjoyed the stories for what they were, and I hope my future children will do the same. :earsboy:

Hear hear!

I gotta say I'm on the girl's side. I don't necessarily think the princess should be plus-sized, just not the cookie cutter shape that they all seem to be. I will probably never be plus-sized but I'll also never be tall. But I know that girls go through some real changes in body shape around the time they'd be interested in princesses, which may make them feel plus-sized but they're actually normal.

So I'm happy for the diversity they've shown so far and I just want them to keep going.

There shouldn't be an obligation to do such a thing because a few people want it.
The petition has generated almost 23,000 signatures in a few days. Hardly "a few".
I think what we're seeing more and more is a desire for "real women" to be represented in media. Look at Dove's "Real Beauty" project, the Aerie Real campaign, and countless articles about model's un-Photoshopped pictures. I agree with a PP that people are tired of seeing "cookie cutter" princesses. People come in all shapes and sizes. I have a hard time with the "celebrating ideal image" comments, but probably because I have so many friends that have celebrated that ideal so intensely that they wound up in a hospital room with body dismorphia. But maybe that's just me.

(Jumps onto personal soapbox)....:wave2:

My daughter is an animator. For her Master's thesis, she designed two female protagonists and set them in a "Space Opera". They were definitely idealized characters in terms of body size but their characters are strong, fearless and clever. She has participated in a number of panels on women in animation and this subject does come up. Essentially, if a young girl cannot identify with the personality of the character, the character will not "sell". Girls and women want to identify with these characteristics regardless of their body size. They want strong role models. Remember, women animators are few and far between and it is very new. Who knows what changes will come as a result.
That said...

A cartoon is a cartoon. Think of a characature of yourself, does it have to look like you to capture "you"? My daughter has animated herself in numerous iterations. The marketable ones are superhero style in the Marvel and Disney traditions. I love them! However, she does have some cute graphic novel style versions that show her as a crooked little girl. You see, she had severe scoliosis until last winter when she had titanium rods put in her back. Does anyone want to buy those characters? Not so far, but I'm convincing her to do a series of patient information pamphlets for young people facing scoliosis surgery.

The brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen did not write stories about princesses who were not idealistically beautiful so those stories should not be illustrated any other way. Our role models are those we admire and aspire to be like. It's time we give up the notion that appearance should be our aspiration.

In Martin Luther King's "Dream Speech", he had a dream that his four children would not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character. Why not apply the same dream to the body mass index of our children? It goes both ways, no cute, little girl with perfectly smooth curls wants to be judged solely on her appearance either.

Off soap box now...:wave2:

Agavegirl1 - that is so cool. I would love to sit in on one of her panels, they sound really interesting, and I would be interested to hear the perspective of a female animator.

I agree with you, I think we need to get past physical appearances. My question for you is - How do we get there? Should we continue with the status quo? Or is it time to try something different?

Is there anything wrong with a strong female cartoon with larger than a six inch waist?

Agavegirl1 - that is so cool. I would love to sit in on one of her panels, they sound really interesting, and I would be interested to hear the perspective of a female animator.

I agree with you, I think we need to get past physical appearances. My question for you is - How do we get there? Should we continue with the status quo? Or is it time to try something different?

Is there anything wrong with a strong female cartoon with larger than a six inch waist?

No Lauren, there is nothing wrong with it...however, women are just making strides in the animation field and they understand that what attracts us to a character (or actor/actress) is how symetrical their features appear. Things like waist/hip ratio for example. It's just human nature or an evolutionary characteristic that we look for as a sign of health. Other cultures also consider a little extra weight to be a sign of health but the media has transformed and perverted what we are "supposed to" consider attractive.

The talks and panels my daughter attends are generally in California (she lives in the San Francisco Bay area). She is very disappointed she missed one discussing "Frozen" last week but it couldn't be helped. She loved the movie by the way. One was recently held at Pixar Studios. If I lived in California, I would go too.

Thanks for your interest. It's fun to be a mom of grownups sometimes. :)

The petition has generated almost 23,000 signatures in a few days. Hardly "a few".
I think what we're seeing more and more is a desire for "real women" to be represented in media. Look at Dove's "Real Beauty" project, the Aerie Real campaign, and countless articles about model's un-Photoshopped pictures. I agree with a PP that people are tired of seeing "cookie cutter" princesses. People come in all shapes and sizes. I have a hard time with the "celebrating ideal image" comments, but probably because I have so many friends that have celebrated that ideal so intensely that they wound up in a hospital room with body dismorphia. But maybe that's just me.

So they should have a princess that refuses to wear makeup? what about a princess with lots of tattoos? a princess that smokes? a princess that's divorced? Why not petitions for those?

Those are both perfectly valid things as well, that are more "real".

So they should have a princess that refuses to wear makeup? what about a princess with lots of tattoos? a princess that smokes? a princess that's divorced? Why not petitions for those?

:thumbsup2

I see why people criticize the princesses as being unrealistic (because like Barbie, they aren't real so I think that's sort of expected.) As many of you have said, there's a delicate line between the whole 'teaching health' and 'teaching acceptance' debate when it comes to weight. What is healthy? What is unhealthy? Should Disney make a role model who looks like the 'every-day, average' women even if there are negative health consequences to being that way? What about countries where the population body norm is thin? After all, obesity is a very prominent problem in America but that isn't necessarily the case everywhere else (and Disney is a global company.) There are so many questions to consider!

This certainly is an interesting debate. I'll be interested to see if Disney chooses to respond to the petition or not.

Who wants realistic? Who wants real life when they go to Disney?

No one, at least that I know. It is not called 'Fantasyland' for no reason. People go to Disney to get 'away' from all the reality that we face day to day. We want to laugh and play and be little kids again no matter our age.

What sells is what Disney will produce. I can't see overweight princess dolls selling very fast. I sure would never buy one to give to an overweight child. Is that supposed to make her feel better, or surely worse like you were mocking? :confused3

As for the other things that have been mentioned in the last few posts, those that may have faced illnesses, accidents, that in 'their' eyes may make them 'feel'

less than 'perfect'. Even 'they' would surely not opt for a doll in their image. We see plenty imperfection in bodies every day in general public or hospitals - why would anyone want to 'play act' with that type doll (whatever).

:rolleyes2

(Jumps onto personal soapbox)
You see, she had severe scoliosis until last winter when she had titanium rods put in her back. Does anyone want to buy those characters? Not so far, but I'm convincing her to do a series of patient information pamphlets for young people facing scoliosis surgery.

Spinal fusion? :D Me too. I had my surgery when I was 16, and seeing something like that---something from a real person, would've helped. Yes, people come in all shapes and sizes; but like many PP have said, these are still cartoons Disney is producing.

Everyone looks for fantasy (fun), not real life when going to Disney. We get enough of real life everyday - what would then be the point of getting 'away' from it all and enjoying pixiedust: for a couple weeks?? :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter