• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pete's Dragon comes again

I have been very concerned about this one since I first heard the remake news a couple of months ago. I'm sure the kids today might enjoy it. But for those of us who grew up with this one, I don't know what to make of it. Most people I know hated this movie, and so I wouldn't imagine they'd be in for a remake. Me personally, I loved this film. Not because it was good, I love it because of how bad it was. And I really only liked it because of the villains. The Gogans, Doc Terminus and Hoagy were awesome. I had no time for Pete or Nora. Lampie was a decent enough character, but he was the town drunk. After Disney turned "Annie" 's Miss Hannigan from a drunk during Prohibition to just a mean woman, I don't have high hopes that they'll leave Lampie boozing it up. Wonder who they are trying to gear this one to?

Then again, I don't quite get the latest version of Cinderella, either. The coming attraction tells the entire story. Not that anyone doesn't already know the tale. But hasn't this story been done to death at this point?

I love Pete's Dragon. I've enjoyed many reboots of classic movies. But this one I am not looking forward to. No Lampie or Nora? No light house, Doc Terminus, or Gogins? No MUSIC?!? My heart aches.

I love Pete's Dragon. I've enjoyed many reboots of classic movies. But this one I am not looking forward to. No Lampie or Nora? No light house, Doc Terminus, or Gogins? No MUSIC?!? My heart aches.
And in much the same way Disney ruined Miss Hannigan in "Annie", I'm willing to bet my house that Lampie isn't a drunk in this reboot.

For the record, Miss Hannigan was only a drunk in the first movie. I've never seen her played that way in the many productions of the stage version I've seen. And I actually find her more terrifying sober. Her drunkenness is just one of many reasons I can't stand the original version of Annie.

But back to the topic at hand. I love Pete's Dragon. Oh, I get that it's campy and cheesy, but I love it anyway. Take away the music, and I'm out. The songs are the best part of the original for Pete's Dragon's sake!

For the record, Miss Hannigan was only a drunk in the first movie. I've never seen her played that way in the many productions of the stage version I've seen. And I actually find her more terrifying sober. Her drunkenness is just one of many reasons I can't stand the original version of Annie.

But back to the topic at hand. I love Pete's Dragon. Oh, I get that it's campy and cheesy, but I love it anyway. Take away the music, and I'm out. The songs are the best part of the original for Pete's Dragon's sake!
She was a drunk on Broadway, too, I believe. The idea was that the story takes place during the Great Depression (I guess kids wouldn't get the Herbert Hoover reference, so they pulled the song from the film) and Prohibition. I'm sure some local stage productions have chosen to leave the gin out of their shows, though.

I love the original's score which I have on CD and listen to every so often. Brazzle Dazzle Day and Candle on the Water are true Disney classics. I believe I've heard Brazzle Dazzle Day playing in one of the parks.
I'll skip the remake as I do most all of them.
And I prefer the original Broadway version of Annie!

When I watched the original Pete's Dragon I really enjoyed the story and the songs. The little boy that played Pete was great as was Mickey Rooney as Lampie. I don't think I'll like this remake that much with no Lampie and an adult Pete.

When I watched the original Pete's Dragon I really enjoyed the story and the songs. The little boy that played Pete was great as was Mickey Rooney as Lampie. I don't think I'll like this remake that much with no Lampie and an adult Pete.
Actually adult Pete gives me a lot of hope that this IS a sequel and not a true reboot. I mean other than Pete and Elliot not one other character shares a name with a character from the previous movie. Heck none of the character descriptions even sound similar. I mean take Grace who is a park ranger instead of being Nora the teacher. While many professions such as lighthouse keeper and fake medicine salesman are out of date (and child slave trader probably a bit too uncomfortable for today's society for a family film), being a school teacher is still very much a profession today. So why the change? Now think about the end of the original Pete's Dragon...Elliot tells Pete that he needs to leave to help more unfortunate children.

The old movie took place sometime in the early part of 1900s. The new movie takes place in the 1980s. This Pete could be a completely different boy who just happens to be named Pete. Heck maybe Adult Pete is just the name of new Pete's father? Or maybe just exists in a dream sequence or flash forward at the very end.... (Or depending on exactly when the original took place if it was 1920s or 1930s then original Pete would only be in his 60s-70s...with a little makeup someone in their 40s like Craig Hall could probably pass especially since older people are often portrayed younger in Disney movies.) I mean we know for sure that a 10 year old actor is playing Pete for the majority of the movie. The point still stands though even if there is no mention of the original that there is a strong possibility that we may be able to still think of this new movie as more of a sequel in spirit than an actual reboot.
(Also keep in mind that the No Singing in the new one means we won't also likely be getting much in the way of duplicate songs...although if we don't get an nice version of Candle on the Water and/or It's Not Easy during the end credits I may feel the need to riot.)

It probably will need to be in the 21ist century and with a different child.
Bryce Dallas Howard already confirmed that the movie will take place in the early 80s in an interview
Bryce Dallas Howard said:
“The movie takes place in the early 80s and so for me that’s when I grew up, I was born in the early 80s, and so it felt so much kind of like those classic 80s movies that you love about kids doing extraordinary things and going on adventures and kind of teaching the adults in their life just how to be a child again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter