• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Peterborough (& Area) Disers, I have driving questions to WDW.

MaMudduck

Disney Princess Forever
I have friends joining us in WDW at the beginning of Dec. They are driving a 2004 Caravan, with 4 kids (7,5,3,8months). Checkin is Sat.Nov 30/13. So this will be ending the US thanksgiving weekend. Please help with strategies for getting them there safe & sound. :drive:
1) when's the best time/day to leave? from Peterborough.
2) which route is the best, for both: drive times & safety in early Dec.?
3) which city is the best to stop overnight and a good hotel there?
4) any other tips that will help would also be great.

I've estimated $400 total return in gas expenses, does that sound reasonable?
Thanks

I have friends joining us in WDW at the beginning of Dec. They are driving a 2004 Caravan, with 4 kids (7,5,3,8months). Checkin is Sat.Nov 30/13. So this will be ending the US thanksgiving weekend. Please help with strategies for getting them there safe & sound. :drive:
1) when's the best time/day to leave? from Peterborough.
2) which route is the best, for both: drive times & safety in early Dec.?
3) which city is the best to stop overnight and a good hotel there?
4) any other tips that will help would also be great.

I've estimated $400 total return in gas expenses, does that sound reasonable?
Thanks

Your gas might be off by about a $100 or so... We drive but haul a travel trailer and last year it cost us around $1000 round trip for gas. I'm guessing a van would be roughly 1/2.

Leaving from Peterborough one of the Niagara crossings would be best. After that, it's dependant purely on weather and what route is best according to the weather. We like the I79 but in bad weather forget it....

Overnight stops would be dependant on how far they travel with lil ones. We usually try to make the first day the longest drive with about 14-15 hrs drive time but we also have a preteen.

I don't envy your friends driving on that long weekend. It's a long drive- around 22-23 hrs (driving time only). I agree that crossing at Buffalo would be the way to go. I 90 to the I 79, then on the I 77- I 26 - I 95 - I 4.
I think the key is to stay off the I 95 as long as possible (that thing can be a parking lot on holidays and rush hours around the big cities).

The overnight stop would depend on the endurance of the driver(s), and how well the kids travel. I'm thinking that with a baby they will need to stop more frequently, so total travel time will welll exceed the actual driving time. By the way- the Welcome Centers located as you enter each state are great places for a bathroom and rest stop. Charlotte NC is around 1350 km away (around 14+hours). Columbia SC is another hour down the road. And Orangeburg is a little under an hour away from Columbia. All have well priced chain hotels (we stay at the Marriott hotels) located close to the freeway exits. CAA is a good source for hotel info.

As for estimating gas- I'd recommend going to gasbuddy.com. It will give you gallon estimates as well as pricing depending on your make of vehicle and route. It can even recommend places to stop for gas.

Good luck to your friends. As much as we enjoy our drives down, I'm not sure I could do it with that many young children.

I would agree with PP in that you may be off in your gas estimate. We had a Pontiac Montana and it was about $80/475kms. They're not good on gas at all.

We always crossed at Windsor/Detroit. I don't really know why we always chose to cross there, but my parents always have, and my snowbird grandparents always did.

I highly recommend getting a Trip Tik from CAA. They highlight the route for you, and each page opens to give you a more detailed map of the area around the highway.

Now I personally disagree with some here. Dec is one of the worst times to be on the 77/79/81/95 route. Way too dangerous to be in the mountains at that time of year. Secondly, I just drove to and from Disney in our 2008 Pontiac Montana and spent 365.00 total round trip. We get 900 kms per tank full. I started full and filled again in Lima, Ohio (3.15/G) and south Georgia (3.08/G). I topped up in Fla before leaving and then filled in Georgia again (3.05). Then filled again in south Ohio (3.21) for my last fill to Peterborough. We have not spent more than $450.00 (roof carrier and 3 extra ppl in '07) to be fair that was our old '02 Montana and gas was more expensive in the states. Each trip since '08 has been the five of us. I think for a 3.8L engine the gas mileage is pretty darn good. I left Disney at 2:45pm and got back to Peterborough at 2:45pm. Hope this helps....

Rob

I forgot to answer time of day question. If you are doing a stopover I would leave 8ish and drive till 9ish. That puts you in Tennessee near the top. I would suggest a Drury Inn as they come highly recommended. I tend to drive straight through so I can't help with that.

Rob

We drive that time of year often and also have a van, although it is AWD. We go over at Hill Island and I would suggest leaving like 4-5 am, and aim for at least Roanoke. I'm mindful of the ages of your children. I would suggest booking a couple of motels along the way that allow for same day cancellations, and then gage how everyone is doing when deciding where to stop. Regardless you will all have a wonderful trip, and Disney at Christmas is beautiful.

Now I personally disagree with some here. Dec is one of the worst times to be on the 77/79/81/95 route. Way too dangerous to be in the mountains at that time of year.

Perhaps it's a matter of driving confidence in winter conditions? We have made that trip a few times during the winter. We did make sure that we had proper snow tires on the car. And we watched the weather very carefully in the days leading up to departure. We were prepared to leave a day early if necessary in order to avoid a bad storm. The Interstate Weather forecasts are indispensible for this.

Perhaps it is because I grew up driving in the Rockies every winter that the "mountains" we encounter on the drive don't bother me in the least. Normally prudent winter driving is all that is required.

Driving confidence is not something I lack. I have been a driving instructor for 18 years. I am trained in all types of road conditions. I train professional drivers as well as novice and advanced drivers in skid control, emergency swerving techniques, abs and threshold braking techniques. However, driving in that mountain range during winter is not a good idea. Great location for freezing rain and ice to form. You can be the best driver in the world but all it takes is some idiot with minimal skills to permanently end your vacation. Why risk it for one hour of driving difference? Snow tires are ok for up in the mountains and in snowy conditions but you will ruin them in the southern states driving on them unless you plan on changing over to all seasons half way down. Not to mention kill your gas mileage and reduce your control using them on dry roads for that distance. Just something to think about as well.

Rob

Welcome home Rob -- enjoyed your updates from WDW!

What route did you drive? I seem to recall you mentioning that you crossed at Detroit? I'm not sure we're up to making the trip without stopping, but I'm always interested in hearing from people who do it.

Did you leave Peterborough at 8-ish? And if so, doesn't that leave you stuck in some nasty 401 traffic across Toronto?

Thx. Yes we took I-75 down and back this time again. We left Ptbo at 8am. We take the 407 across Toronto to Halton Hills exit and continue on the 401 from there. We arrived at POR at noon. We stopped for 3 hrs in a rest area on the way down. Also got caught in a nasty rain storm in Cincinnati that flooded the roadway. Spent almost an hour through there. The most interesting thing on the way back was the lack of policing on the freeway. I did not encounter a single police officer doing patrol until Ohio. Usually there are plenty especially in Georgia.

Rob

I like all your suggestions and advice everyone. DH & I did the drive 12yrs ago and I remember the same reasoning we did about which route to take, we did do I75. I think the booking more than 1 hotel with same day cancellation policies is a great idea.
Has anyone ever done a late in the day start time e.g. 3:00pm- driving until 2am, my thought here is: that with kids that age that they most like sleep through the worst of the driving?
Any other tips to pass on to them?

Rob, I believe you taught my daughter to drive, Ainslee.
We just moved from Peterborough to St. Thomas

I use to do the drive, leave around 5 am, 401 to 75.
stop around 8, try to get past lexington kentucky, and get there in two days.
think gas and hotel may be light.

do you plan on stopping?

Hi Icekats, yes I was Ainslee's instructor. I did not hear that you moved. Please tell her hello for me. Hope all is well in St. Thomas. You used to live around the corner from me. We just got back from Disney on Friday. We usually drive straight through so I am not much help when it comes to hotels other than what I have heard. If I need a break I will pull into a rest area for a quick nap.

Rob

thanks Rob, will see her this weekend.
We spent 8 nights at VWL in Aug, 2 bdrm, nice resort
Off to OKW for 5 nights in Nov. without the oldest two as they are at University. Flying out of Flint Michigan, Southwest, $200 return and 2 free bags

Rob

Very nice! We have stayed at OKW on rented points and enjoyed it. Nice pool area. Enjoy the Osbourne Lights they are awesome! I have not done the MVMCP yet. Maybe in 2015?

Rob

Hi Wendy. Keep in mind that leaving at 3 puts you in rush hour on the other side of Toronto.

I agree with Rob and say I75 for that time of year.

If you are leaving at that time of day I would take the 407. You will just sit on the 401 for an extra few hours at minimum.

Rob

We have driven to WDW many times....as recent as August. This year we drove in my Xtrail and the gas was $420 RT. Granted we did drive at or very slightly over the speed limit the entire way. Many places the speed limit is approx. 120KM/hr....so that eats more gas. In past years we have driven in our Chev Venture and spent around $550-$600 on gas. We live in Oakville so you would need to add in a little bit more for gas to Peterborough....maybe $50.

We have taken a ton of road trips when our kids were little and we found the best way to do it is to drive over night while they sleep. I think this would be particularly helpful when driving on a big holiday weekend like Thanksgiving. That said this is only a good idea if you are able to get a few hours sleep before you leave. The kids may need to go visit the grandparents or a neighbour for a while to get this accomplished.

Pack all the food/drinks/snacks that the family will need in a cooler. It cuts down on stops, saves money, and keeps behaviour much nicer. Meaning no sugar highs for the kids in a confined space. We pack lots of fruit and veg, hummus, cheese, crackers, pretzels, sandwiches, hard boiled eggs and bottled water. For a treat we will have chips or some homemade cookies(low sugar/high fibre). Things that are not sticky or leave a stain are best. Bring a couple of rolls of paper towel and lots of wetwipes. We have found that fast food meals don't sit well with us on a road trip....so packing our own food is much better on all fronts.

Be prepared for car sickness. Have some gravol, etc. on hand as well as some plastic bags.

Comfort is also a big deal. Have pillows and blankets for everyone. Eye masks and soft earplugs are also good. For night driving we find that adding sunshades to the windows helps to cut some of the bright light at rest stops and gas stations.

Entertainment is a very big deal with young kids. Some new movies that they have never seen as well as the old favourites are great. I used to go to the dollar store to get items to make a bag for each child. In the bag were simple things like crayons, paper, colouring books, puzzle books, stickers etc. but all things were new which made them fun and exciting to the kids. Once I made Disney travel journals for my girls. I printed about 25 pages for them that had trivia, word searches, drawing and fill in the blank journal pages. Mad Libs are also a lot of fun. There are lots of car games that you can play as well...google can help with that. For very young kids the Crayola Colour Wonder products are fantastic in the car.

Someone pointed out that you would ruin your winter tires if you drove around in FL on them. My DH works in the auto biz and tires are part of what he does. He says your tires would not be ruined. It's just not hot enough in FL in Dec and you won't be there long enough to do any damage. A good portion of your drive will be in colder/winter weather so winter tires would be important.

Hey Wendy...long time:wave2:
My 2 cents...go I75...get Dave Hunter's book (I think it's still around)...like dancin Disney style said, take a cooler (the plug-in style is great)...and you can use it as a fridge at WDW (make sure you have an adapter). But just be careful what you have in it when you cross the border. Check the US/Canada border website. We usually stocked up with fruit once we got over the border.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter