• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Peter Pan Cast Member Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just returned from our WDW trip this past weekend. My son is 7 and in a wheelchair. I suppose I could help him step down a ladder, but it's highly unlikely to happen. When we got the assistance pass, I actually asked the CM about Peter Pan specifically, since the mechanics of an evacuation for the attraction had recently crossed my mind. She suggested I speak with the CMs working the attraction, since they'd have more info. My understanding is that Reedy Creek would have to be called in to assist in almost any circumstance unless they could pull the cars through, so I decided not to worry about it. Good thing we didn't - the wait times were far too long throughout our trip, and my son absolutely hated the attraction the last time he rode it anyway, so we skipped it altogether. Maybe another time.

I rode the Peter Pan ride. As the lap bar went down and CM requested to lift to check, I was telling her loudly lift it off, lift it off. As the bar went down it took my memory foam Nike sandal front and two middle toes into the opening the lower bar disappears into. It was horrific pain and I could get no assistance until I saw a face at the end of the ride. They hit the kill switch and had to get me out of the contraption without losing my toes.
They were crushed tight, but not amputated or broken, just a crush injury, but no more walking my trip. The ride was stopped and people I heard were evacuated. So it does happen. I heard there were 22 stairs to get out. It was reopened later. I sucked it up in a wheel chair having my family park me and I waited for them to get off the rides I couldn't do. The next day I ended up stuck on a broken Under the Sea listening to the song over and over and over....ugh. Not even a FP for another ride. My next vacation is going to be on sand with waves and maybe a hammock.

Wow I would have thrown a fit if that had happened. That is some massive negligence on Disney's part! Did they offer first aid?

I see this as a "nothing to see here". CM may have been attempting humor, or just was awkward. IMO nothing that rises to the need to report.

My teenage son was stopped by a senior citizen castmember 2 1/2 years ago and asked if he could climb down a ladder if necessary at the peter pan ride. This was outside, before we were in line.

My son's non-verbal, autistic and in a wheelchair due to foot braces from previous surgery for tip toe walking. He doesn't walk long distances well. So he rides around the park.

My husband and I told the castmember that no, he couldn't just climb down a ladder. So, he didn't add any info, he just looked at us....so we walked away and didn't ride again until recently. But, we aren't sure what to think.

Another ex employee told my husband they can get him out without climbing down a ladder....but who knows. We usually skip it. I think only teenagers could easily climb down a ladder! Lots of kids and senior citizens on that ride it looks like.

I believe they asked you, because he did ask us. I don't think I want to take the monorail now either with their recently publicized break-down.

Wow I would have thrown a fit if that had happened. That is some massive negligence on Disney's part! Did they offer first aid?

Offered first aid and a wheel chair, but I was already pushing a wheel chair and had put a lot of money into the event tickets. I had ice, taped the two toes together and they gave me Naproxen. I ended up with very strained foot, and two bruised toes. I am home, hobbling about. It isn't broken so not much to do. If only it wasn't an event night. The kids upset for me that I had to plant a fairly normal face, and walk on the outer edge of my foot. I was glad they were not amputated.

I didn't know all the details of the McD's coffee lawsuit, but a quick Google search says that 155-175 is typical with most leaning to the 175 degree mark. So McD's was definitely higher, but I wonder how much less significant the burning would have been at 175 degrees than 180-190? I assume there is now a regulation in place stating the maximum temperature at which coffee can be served.

And I'm sure there are people receiving 155 degree cups of coffee who are whining about it not being hot enough.

I do feel sorry for the lady that got burned though. That does sound pretty terrible. I'm glad I don't drink coffee. I do plan to ride Peter Pan though, and I will ride it with full knowledge of the ladder length I must descend should things go awry.
I expect my coffee to be hot so I don't have an issue with that. The issue I do have is when the workers don't bother to make sure that the cover is properly attached and you don't realize it until it falls off and spills all over you!!

So I'm totally off topic here...:offtopic: but I wanted to comment on the McDonald's hot coffee case - LOL! Nothing against the poster but it is one of my hot button topics. In the McD's hot coffee case, McD's knew their coffee was a hazard and had already paid out $500,000 in a 10-year period to people who were burned. They ordered franchises to keep their coffee between 180 and 190 degrees because commuters would want their coffee to stay hot, despite knowing that at those temperatures people were being injured. The woman in this case was the passenger in a car that her grandson was driving. He parked the car so that she could add cream and sugar to the coffee. She spilled the coffee (which I would think is a predictable accident) and was burned so badly she was in the hospital for 8 days and had to have multiple skin grafts. She had third degree burns on 6% of her body and had first and second degree burns on 16% over her body. She had to be cared for by her daughter for another 3 weeks and had health issues for another 2 years. Her cost of the medical bills were not quite $11,000 and she originally asked McD's for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses and time off work and they refused. They eventually got a lawyer and in interviews I read the jury foreman said that they thought the same thing as the public that they couldn't believe someone would sue over hot coffee. Then after hearing all of the evidence the jury of 12 men and women (presumably as reasonable as all of us) awarded the woman $2.7 million in punitive damages they were so outraged. They decided to penalize McD's 1-2 days worth of coffee sales ($1.35 million a day).

But...the woman didn't get that. The trial judge reduced punitive damages to less than $500,000. McD's appealed and it was settled for even less than that.

If something sounds too ridiculous to be true it usually is. And there is so much rhetoric about frivolous lawsuits when really a lot have merit but the medical and pro-business lobbyists use the McD's case constantly to point out how we need tort reform in this country and that's only because it protects them, not us.

Thank you all for listening to my off topic rant :goodvibes

When people bring this (and other) cases up without knowing the facts ... makes my blood boil. Thanks! Love it when disciples of Paul Harvey step in.

... and that was "the rest of the story."

I rode the Peter Pan ride. As the lap bar went down and CM requested to lift to check, I was telling her loudly lift it off, lift it off. As the bar went down it took my memory foam Nike sandal front and two middle toes into the opening the lower bar disappears into. It was horrific pain and I could get no assistance until I saw a face at the end of the ride. They hit the kill switch and had to get me out of the contraption without losing my toes.
They were crushed tight, but not amputated or broken, just a crush injury, but no more walking my trip. The ride was stopped and people I heard were evacuated. So it does happen. I heard there were 22 stairs to get out. It was reopened later. I sucked it up in a wheel chair having my family park me and I waited for them to get off the rides I couldn't do. The next day I ended up stuck on a broken Under the Sea listening to the song over and over and over....ugh. Not even a FP for another ride. My next vacation is going to be on sand with waves and maybe a hammock.

Offered first aid and a wheel chair, but I was already pushing a wheel chair and had put a lot of money into the event tickets. I had ice, taped the two toes together and they gave me Naproxen. I ended up with very strained foot, and two bruised toes. I am home, hobbling about. It isn't broken so not much to do. If only it wasn't an event night. The kids upset for me that I had to plant a fairly normal face, and walk on the outer edge of my foot. I was glad they were not amputated.

So you were pushing a wheelchair for someone else, and ended up in one??? That would suck!

So you were pushing a wheelchair for someone else, and ended up in one??? That would suck!
Yes, but we got through it. I was able to get a one day, last day of the trip rental of a scooter for $44 for the disabled adult, Disney offered to reimburse me for. I have the receipt but waiting for response to see if it happens. It just became to painful to keep walking on the outside edge of my foot and push the chair with my own medical issues. I have fibromyalgia and lumbar issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter