• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pet questions

dbanzai

DIS Veteran
I may be moving from NY to the west coast along with my puppy (oaky, she's four and not a puppy anymore, but they are always puppies!). Where I live now, I'm very close to my parents and when I go on vacation, they watch her. If I move, I won't have their dog-sitting services to depend on.

I'm not keen on leaving my puppy alone in a kennel. I'm not sure by the time I'm ready to venture to DL that I will have many dog-owning friends who I would trust to watch her. Therefore I have these questions:

Does DL still have a kennel?

Do any of the Good Neighbor hotels allow dogs? I'd ask about the Dis hotels too, but I'm fairly certain I remember that being a no-no... And I can't pass her off as a service dog. ;)

Yes they do, but unless their policy has changed recently, they don't allow overnight stays.

There is at least one nearby hotel (big national chain and even though I can hear their commercial in my head, I can't seem to come up with the name right now--it's the one that leaves the light on for you) that does allow pets. I believe this hotel is located on Katella Ave.

Thanks.

Do you think if I call Dis and say I need to stay at a dog-friendly hotel that they will know which hotels those are?

The Residence Inn Maingate is dog friendly - I like it because it has some nice landscaping, so you can take your pup on walks where there's grass instead of just cement. Also, the Coast Hotel takes pets, but it's ungoing some renovations right now & will have a new name once they're done. There are some rooms on the ground floor w/patio doors (if I remember correctly), where you can take your 4-legged family member on a nice walk w/grassy area. There are some others, but can't think of them right now off the top of my head.

We just came back from a road trip to Disneyland with our Pom and stayed at the Anaheim Hilton. They're pet friendly and have a garden/patio area as well as walkways with greenery around the perimeter near the convention center. If you go, request the 5th floor. We really enjoyed it, plus we had a Disney View room. Plus it's convenient with the ART shuttle making only one stop before picking up/dropping off at the park. We were able to feed/walk him in the morning, return to the hotel to feed/walk/play with him again during lunch and as needed throughout the day.

-Halo :paw:

Also, the Marriott hotel directly across the street from the Hilton is pet friendly as well. They're the only other stop our "E" bus on ART makes on the way to Disneyland. Only thing you miss out on there is the unobstructed Disney view.

:paw:

Yes, DL still has a kennel (correct about the no overnight stays thing). They have all sizes of kennels from small to large enough to house 2 dogs together (provided they belong to the same person). Just bring a blanket or toy (something that will make your pet feel at home). You have to come back during the day to "potty" your pet, as they will not do that for you. There is also a small grassy shaded area inside the kennel walls where you and your family can come eat a picnic lunch while you play with your pet. We've never used it, but took a long look at it during one of our DL visits. We've never been able to find a nice pet friendly hotel in the area (you know, one that doesn't smell of dog/cat urine). Our large dog is kennel trained when inside the house, so we prefer to stay someplace without pet hair all over the place. Of course... that may be why we haven't found anything yet.... :teeth: I'm certain you'll find the DL kennel quite nice though!

We brought our golden a couple of years ago and stayed at a nearby hotel....For the life of me, I can't remember which one...It was a fine hotel super cheap...$55 per night...We drove into the park and our dog rode the shuttle with us. We would drop her off at the kennel in the a.m. and come get her in the afternoon for a break then come back in the evening and drop her off again. It worked out fine. :pug:

Another option may be to find a pet sitting service close to your house. Then the dog could stay at home and be in a familiar setting.

I cant guarantee it, but I was told these are the pet friendly hotels...

Anaheim Marriott Hotel
Hilton Anaheim
Anaheim Marriott Suites Garden Grove
Anaheim Residence Inn by Marriott
Embassy Suites Hotel Anaheim (North)
La Quinta Inn
Red Roof Inn Anaheim - Maingate

You can also check out the American Kennal Club for hotels. They hold a dog show in the Convention City every year and those pampered pooches are way to valuable to board or leave in the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter