• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pet question??

Pets are not allowed in a pop up or tent. It is not stated anywhere on the Disney site. It is a apparently a guarded secret among Disney reps. Had I been told this back in November when I made the initial reservation in November it wouldn't have been a big deal. I wonder what Disney would have done had we showed up in a week with our dog?

When we called and asked... we were told right away no dogs in tents or popups. As well... the 1500 and 2000 (specific to tents and popups) loops are NOT pet loops... not that you can't put a tent/popup on the other loops.. but that atleast gave us an indication that we should double check. It makes sense really..... the AC I can understand... but most popups have AC. We were told by FW that a dog could not be 100% safely contained in a tent or popup. I have seen a dog chew through the plastic in a popup to get out. Even if your dog has never done this... you can't guarantee 100% they won't panic with the sounds and all at FW if alone. We take our dog camping in our tent.. only when we are on hiking trips where there is no possiblity of us going anywhere the dog can't go... .and there are areas in FW that you can't take your dog... like the beach for instance. If you plan on viewing the fireworks from the beach... you can't have your dog there. How scared will they be if left alone with fireworks going off, especially in a popup where there really isn't a noise buffer.

I would agree with avoiding "Best Friends". They are lax on their bortadella requirements and they give very little attention to the dogs. Last time we left our dogs there for day care they both ended up with coughs even though they get annual vaccines. We don'e frequently board our dogs, but our vet requires it as a routine vaccine in case of overnight stays for any medical treatment. When I was checking out I heard one of the pet guardians talking to another guest about vaccines and she stated that since that dog had not had bortadella they would need approval to give it to him there. That is of no use if the dog is already infected and kennel cough spreads like wildfire through a kennel.

We took our pup in for the bortadella shot because he is staying while we are headed to Daytona 500, Vet told us that the shot is over rated and that he knew of no dog that had died of kennel cough and that they would recover.:confused3

We took our pup in for the bortadella shot because he is staying while we are headed to Daytona 500, Vet told us that the shot is over rated and that he knew of no dog that had died of kennel cough and that they would recover.:confused3

I agree with your vet that kennel cough won't kill them, but if your dog ever gets it you'll wish you had given them the shot. We had three dogs get kennel cough from our groomer and it was the most disgusting thing ever. They cough and throw up constantly for days. I'd rather pay for the shot than live through kennel cough again.

I agree with your vet that kennel cough won't kill them, but if your dog ever gets it you'll wish you had given them the shot. We had three dogs get kennel cough from our groomer and it was the most disgusting thing ever. They cough and throw up constantly for days. I'd rather pay for the shot than live through kennel cough again.

I believe I did say that our pup had the shot, I was just passing along what our vet said.

We just stayed at FW earlier this month and had some issues with our dog so we have done the research.

In the FW Directory of Services that we were given in our welcome packet it states under the column headed "For Your Safety and Enjoyment" ...

"All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is at least six feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner's personal recreational vehicle. For pop-ups and tents, pets must be secured in a container, such as portable cage or kennel .....

Pets that interfere with the quality of the guest experience ... in any way (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel, or leave the resort."

We were in a pet loop in an RV and a neighbor left us a note about our dog barking (from separation anxiety). We contacted the front desk and they told us that a certain level of noise is expected in pet loops; not to worry unless a "legitimate complaint" was lodged. We ended up finding the neighbor who left the note, explained the care we were taking with the dog and resolved the issue.

I would take your dog and a crate (if he is used to being crated) ... the wording in the FW Directory of Services makes it clear that you can crate your dog, but I agree that depending on the weather and air conditioning. But, you should know that dogs are strictly limited to pet loops and pet paths. To enjoy FW there will be many times that you will be leaving your pet in the crate if you want to go to restaurants, the playgrounds, the docks, the stables, etc.

For future trips we will probably get a dogsitter for our fur-baby.

Through the years, we've always taken our dog with us to the Fort and we have always left him in the camper whether it was the pop up or the hybrid.

It depends on your set up, how you tour, and your dog. Since we go several times a year, our dog is accustomed to the Fort, he is an easy going, giant lazy slug that can't be bothered to get up even when dogs come up to him barking. Then again, he is bigger than most dogs so I guess that doesn't intimidate him LOL

Our popup had A/C and we closed off the bunkends so he couldn't get in them. He would sleep on the dinette bed with the tv on if we left for awhile. We now do the same thing with the hybrid, close the bunks off so he can't get in, turn the tv on and let him sleep on the jack knife sofa bed.

Our touring is also laid back. We got burnt out on the parks long ago so we generally just go down to camp. On a 7 day trip we might do a few hours at MK and a few hours at EPCOT. So we're generally with him at the campsite or dog park.

Don't think we ever left our dog in the popup more than an hours or so though. If it was going to be longer than that, we locked him in our tow vehicle- the camper van. Turn the A/C and tv on and he would get up on the bed and sleep the whole time.

Oh, and he doesn't bark so no issues with possibly bothering other campers. There again, know your dog.

Used to love the MK kennel, too bad they outsourced to Best Friends. It would have to be an emergency for us to leave him there.

ETA: we have stayed in the tent loops many times with our dog and paying the pet fee. It has never been an issue. It's been a year or so since we've stayed in a partial though, we generally stay in full hook ups now.

You're talking about the "Best Friends Pet Care" near FW? I haven't heard anything but praise from people that have used them :confused3

I took my 2 pups there for a day while we went to Tampa RV Show, plus I took them there again a couple of weeks ago for baths and nails. We were very pleased with the place, btw they did an excellent job on nail grinding, which is not easy with these two.

Thanks for all of your opinions about my puppy. It does seem that the rules are not very clear. Our gentle golden doodle is spending the week with his human grandparents. Will we miss him of course!! Our pop up has an AC unit but that was never an excuse we were given. I was told NO PETS in pop-up or tents regardless. Either way this time tomorrow night my family will be snuggled in our pop up tent at the Fort. I am a rule follower after all I have little eyes and ears that I have to set the example for:)

Thanks for all of your opinions about my puppy. It does seem that the rules are not very clear. Our gentle golden doodle is spending the week with his human grandparents. Will we miss him of course!! Our pop up has an AC unit but that was never an excuse we were given. I was told NO PETS in pop-up or tents regardless. Either way this time tomorrow night my family will be snuggled in our pop up tent at the Fort. I am a rule follower after all I have little eyes and ears that I have to set the example for:)

The confusing FW pet rule aside ----------- I do admire you for setting a standard for your children. So many parents don't ----It's more like, do as I *say*, not as I *do* :sad2: You follow the rules, I don't have to!

Have a wonderful pixiedust: camping trip!

we've always taken our dog with us to the Fort and we have always left him in the camper whether it was the pop up or the hybrid...He would sleep on the dinette bed with the tv on if we left for awhile.

My understanding from a previous comment that is the Fort Wilderness directory of services indicates "For pop-ups and tents, pets must be secured in a container, such as portable cage or kennel".

But since it appears that FtW campers have dogs in pop-ups but not secured as required in a cage or kennel while the owners are away, it seems in practice there are no rules.

My understanding from a previous comment that is the Fort Wilderness directory of services indicates "For pop-ups and tents, pets must be secured in a container, such as portable cage or kennel".

But since it appears that FtW campers have dogs in pop-ups but not secured as required in a cage or kennel while the owners are away, it seems in practice there are no rules.

Yes, there *are* rules, and they are *spelled* out in writing, even if each person is not specifically told.

If someone's dog like PixieCamper would actually get out, attack another dog or someone, or whatever, the rules would certainly apply. They would be held liable. Just because they *got by* doing it doesn't mean it was supposed to have been done.

Yes, there *are* rules, and they are *spelled* out in writing, even if each person is not specifically told.

If someone's dog like PixieCamper would actually get out, attack another dog or someone, or whatever, the rules would certainly apply. They would be held liable. Just because they *got by* doing it doesn't mean it was supposed to have been done.

There was no "getting by" with anything.

I called to make a reservation, he asked what kind of site, I told him I didn't know as I hadn't been to the Fort before. He asked me what kind of RV I had, when I said a pop up, he said "Okay, let's look for a partial site".

He asked all the other questions about how many guests, names, ages, etc, then asked if I had a pet, I told him yes and he said it would be an additional $5 fee. When we checked in, I paid at the gate, paid the pet fee and site fees with the dog sitting right up front. I know she saw him, because she was talking to him. I went to the site they told me to go to like I do at any other campground.

It was the same several times after that, until we started using the shower in the pop up and needed the full hook up (then later upgraded to the hybrid).

I couldn't tell you why they would do that if it was against the rules, I don't know. I just went to the site they told me to go to.

I do know they have put us in non-pet loops before even though the dog was with us and we told them that when we made the reservation. Something about being over booked? I don't know, they told us if anyone complained to just politely refer them to the front desk, no one did. Campers, for the most part, tend to be easy going, mind your own business kind of people.

fortpetagreement-001_zpsbf3f6632.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter