Pet Peeves - In Regards to WDW Theme Parks

I didn't read through all the peeves, but the thing that bothers me is the people who don't seem to understand or care that there is an organized line for characters. This has gotten much better through the years with the CM help, but there are always overly anxious little ones that walk right up to characters and their adult is not there to crowd control them into the line. Its not cute to me when we have waited then i am trying to take my quick photo and out of nowhere comes a wandering child that does not belong to me.

Another one I forgot to mention is when someone steals your turn on an attraction. A few years ago we were lined up for the Magic Carpets of Aladin when as we were getting into our vehcile this father tells his daugther this one is free and cuts right in front of us. Plus that happened to be last one available so we had to wait a few more minutes and what a great leason where his little girl thinks it's ok to cut in front of people. :sad2:

Me, too, so I don't see the need to complain about loud conversations in another language unless it's just the fact that speaking another language is the pet peeve. Just say loud talkers bug you. Or if it is the fact that they speak another language, just buck up and say it. Sure, you'll get flamed, but at least you'll be standing by your beliefs (even if the rest of us think they're strange). OK, done! :upsidedow

I think the original statement was that a family talking through Beauty and the Beast "in their native language"

How do we know that English was NOT their native language - maybe they were speaking English and we are all making the assumption that it was in "another" language. Maybe that statement was just incredible politically correct? :banana:

I think the original statement was that a family talking through Beauty and the Beast "in their native language"

How do we know that English was NOT their native language - maybe they were speaking English and we are all making the assumption that it was in "another" language. Maybe that statement was just incredible politically correct? :banana:

The statement she/he was agreeing with was one that specifically stated that people were in America "where the language is English" and were speaking loudly in a foreign language.

I think my biggest pet peeve is younger people not giving up their seats to older people or small children. My teenage boys, my husband and I always offer up our seats if needed. Sure I love to sit down, but I know how hard it is for a small child to hold on during a bus ride. And having taken my 76 year old parents last trip I know how hard it was for my Mom to stand and hold on during the return trip from the park. She was standing next to people that were teenagers up to people in their 30's and 40's. Come on people we're all tired, but let's help people that need it.....Okay, I feel better now

Thank you for saying this. I've read quite a few posts on the Dis where people are irritated because of the opposite (not wanting to give up their seats after a long day at the park when they too are tired). On my last trip with my parents I watched my 76 year old father give up his seat every single day to any man, woman, or child who looked like they might need it. The last morning of our trip, despite our best efforts to hold on to them, I had to watch my 3 small children being thrown around like sausage rolls on a very crowded/rough bus ride to the magic kingdom. Not one of the 30- something y.o. people sitting next to us offered their seat/ some even gave us dirty looks because my child fell into them. And this was on the WAY to the Magic Kingdom. It was 8:00 in the morning.

I disagree with you. We do this all the time. It is the only way to get a table. If you wait to try to get a table after you have your food, your food will be cold by the time you sit down.

I have to disagree with you on this. If people weren't saving tables or just coming out of the rain and sitting under the pavilian etc, there would be tables for everyone getting their food. I can remember a time when there were no tables and 3/4 of the people in Pinochio's did not have food at their tables. It was raining really hard and most were just sitting out the storm. We ended up eating standing around the trash can with our tray on the trash can. No one offered us their table even though they saw us struggling with the huge tray looking for a table.

But then, I also have to agree with you too. Your whole party of 6 do not have to be in line to get the food. Think how long that would take and how crowded that area would be. It gives younger and older people a time to sit and rest while someone gets the food. I am getting to the age where resting might become a thought. LOL so it is a catch 22.

I also think that if you are a group of 2 at a 4 person table for example and you see someone that can't find a seat, what is the harm in saying" Hey, you can share our table". We do this and meet people from all over the world.

What you said :goodvibes Why does anyone care what someone else does, unless it's truly malicious and obviously intended that way? :confused3 (and how would they know it's intended that way?) Beeeeeeee the magic you want to experience. Can I go with you next time WDSEarcher? I love watching people take in the magic that way; it helps me feel it too.
Hey -- the more, the merrier!! :woohoo:

:earsboy:

Sure, that would help in the future, but if the CM noticed she dropped the glasses, the courteous thing would be to pick them up and place them back where they were sitting. ?

But what if the CM DIDN'T notice? If you're making your way around an area picking up towels and a pair of glasses falls into the sand or ground below, you may not notice them. How many people lose glasses and sunglasses at water parks because they didn't notice that they dropped through the webbing of the chair or fell out of their bag? Put the glasses in a case and there's a bit more heft to notice (and probably at least a "thunk" when they fall).

Also, does anyone think a CM is going to pick up their unused towels?
CM doesn't know whether they're used or not. They're just picking up the towels that are out that don't seem to be associated with a person. You need to "claim your space" at a water park or pool. A folded up towel on the end of a lounge chair -- when it appears that there's nothing else on the lounge chair -- doesn't exactly look like someone is setting up camp there. It looks like someone left a towel behind. You unfurl the towel ... add a book ... maybe a water bottle. Claim your space! :thumbsup2

My pet peeves:

People who send one person to queue then have the other members of their family join them. Me and DH stand side by side and refuse to budge now :)

People who swear.

People who pee on toilet seats and people who don't wash their hands after using the toilet, especially those with little ones. Nice lessons they are learning.

People who push you out of the way to get on the seat in front of you on a ride. When we were waiting for a ride last year 4 teens sprinted to get in line in front of us. As we neared the front of the line they asked for a 2 to fill 2 seats, we went past them, say down in the ride and waved and smiled as they scowled at us :wave2:

People who smoke away from the designated areas.

And one for the Brits, people who say "Oh are you from England? Do you know my Aunt Nelly who lives in London?"

Feel better for the rant :rolleyes1

Thank you for saying this. I've read quite a few posts on the Dis where people are irritated because of the opposite (not wanting to give up their seats after a long day at the park when they too are tired). On my last trip with my parents I watched my 76 year old father give up his seat every single day to any man, woman, or child who looked like they might need it. The last morning of our trip, despite our best efforts to hold on to them, I had to watch my 3 small children being thrown around like sausage rolls on a very crowded/rough bus ride to the magic kingdom. Not one of the 30- something y.o. people sitting next to us offered their seat/ some even gave us dirty looks because my child fell into them. And this was on the WAY to the Magic Kingdom. It was 8:00 in the morning.

Why didn't you just wait for the next bus?

Mine would be those that have to do with courtesy. Who cares whether someone sends someone to stand in line while they take care of restroom breaks, etc. I can't imagine not allowing someone by.:confused3

People who sit in the smoking section and get upset that people smoke? (No, I don't smoke.)

People who are prejudiced against those who are different.

People who are ignorant enough to believe that ECV users, skip, cheat, and lie to get onto a ride quicker. It doesn't work that way. In the same bend, I hate that people ignore those in wheelchairs, and ecvs, cutting in front and ignoring them.

OK ... here are mine:

• People who roll their eyes when someone gets an attraction, character or show name wrong. Everyone was a Disney newbie once, and there's a lot to learn and remember. And does it really take anything away from your vacation if I call it "The Haunted House" instead of "The Haunted Mansion" or if I say "Goofy" when I really mean "Pluto"? :upsidedow
  • People who push by me when I've stopped on the sidewalk trying to figure out where to go. I'm not purposely blocking your way, it's just that I've never been here before and I'm trying to navigate the map. If I'm in your way and taking up too much space, either say "Excuse me" with a smile, or offer to help me, since you seem to have a much better handle on how to get places!
  • Families who attack WDW and get upset if they don't get on X number of rides in Y number of hours. The people who complain about my nephew, who has stopped for a second in the line to read some of the queueline stuff. Honestly, folks ... there are still a hundred people in front of us. If my nephew takes three minutes to read something, and the gap between us and the people in front of us gets a little bigger, it's not going to put you any more behind than if he doesn't. You're still in line for the same amount of time. It's not a contest, it's a vacation. :thumbsup2
  • People who scold me (or shake their heads at me) for sleeping in on my vacation and not getting to rope drop so that I can get to Dumbo immediately. If my niece and I don't mind standing in line at Dumbo for 75 minutes, why do you care? We're having a great vacation doing it our way!
  • People who make fun of other people for what they're wearing, what they're eating, what they look like, how they talk, what they don't know about Disney or how little they planned. It's not your job to be the Fashion Police, the Diet Police, the Character Police, the Grammar Police or the "How Best to Enjoy Your Vacation" Police. You enjoy your vacation and let them enjoy theirs.
  • People who have never visited WDW with a stroller complaining about the people who do. Try navigating one through some of those crowds and shops and restaurants and THEN come back and tell me how not to bump into people or accidentally run into folks when they stop short. Try a trip with a stroller, wheelchair or scooter first. Then complain, if you still can. :goodvibes
  • People who scowl at me when I check my voicemail or e-mail in the attraction line. I promise I'm doing my best to be on vacation, but sometimes there are things that just need to be followed-up on that I didn't get to before we left. I know the company won't fall apart without me, but I'd rather take a minute now to check on it than to worry about it all week.

This post wins! You can all stop posting now.... :rolleyes1

This isn't a peeve, its just wrong. When rude remarks are made b/c they have been standing in line and up comes a evc or wheelchair then the bus and they have to wait a little longer. Um.. the park isn't going anywhere, you will get there, and the same with going home to you resort, it will still be there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher
OK ... here are mine:

People who roll their eyes when someone gets an attraction, character or show name wrong. Everyone was a Disney newbie once, and there's a lot to learn and remember. And does it really take anything away from your vacation if I call it "The Haunted House" instead of "The Haunted Mansion" or if I say "Goofy" when I really mean "Pluto"?
People who push by me when I've stopped on the sidewalk trying to figure out where to go. I'm not purposely blocking your way, it's just that I've never been here before and I'm trying to navigate the map. If I'm in your way and taking up too much space, either say "Excuse me" with a smile, or offer to help me, since you seem to have a much better handle on how to get places!
Families who attack WDW and get upset if they don't get on X number of rides in Y number of hours. The people who complain about my nephew, who has stopped for a second in the line to read some of the queueline stuff. Honestly, folks ... there are still a hundred people in front of us. If my nephew takes three minutes to read something, and the gap between us and the people in front of us gets a little bigger, it's not going to put you any more behind than if he doesn't. You're still in line for the same amount of time. It's not a contest, it's a vacation.
People who scold me (or shake their heads at me) for sleeping in on my vacation and not getting to rope drop so that I can get to Dumbo immediately. If my niece and I don't mind standing in line at Dumbo for 75 minutes, why do you care? We're having a great vacation doing it our way!
People who make fun of other people for what they're wearing, what they're eating, what they look like, how they talk, what they don't know about Disney or how little they planned. It's not your job to be the Fashion Police, the Diet Police, the Character Police, the Grammar Police or the "How Best to Enjoy Your Vacation" Police. You enjoy your vacation and let them enjoy theirs.
People who have never visited WDW with a stroller complaining about the people who do. Try navigating one through some of those crowds and shops and restaurants and THEN come back and tell me how not to bump into people or accidentally run into folks when they stop short. Try a trip with a stroller, wheelchair or scooter first. Then complain, if you still can.
People who scowl at me when I check my voicemail or e-mail in the attraction line. I promise I'm doing my best to be on vacation, but sometimes there are things that just need to be followed-up on that I didn't get to before we left. I know the company won't fall apart without me, but I'd rather take a minute now to check on it than to worry about it all week.

Im with Dopey

This post wins! You can all stop posting now....

BayouMickey

This isn't a peeve, its just wrong. When rude remarks are made b/c they have been standing in line and up comes a evc or wheelchair then the bus and they have to wait a little longer. Um.. the park isn't going anywhere, you will get there, and the same with going home to you resort, it will still be there too.

I could travel with you all! People need to chill out. It isn't about a park, it is about an experience, not just one person's but many. Be nice, watch out for others, be courteous and treat others with respect.:)

But what if the CM DIDN'T notice? If you're making your way around an area picking up towels and a pair of glasses falls into the sand or ground below, you may not notice them. How many people lose glasses and sunglasses at water parks because they didn't notice that they dropped through the webbing of the chair or fell out of their bag? Put the glasses in a case and there's a bit more heft to notice (and probably at least a "thunk" when they fall).

CM doesn't know whether they're used or not. They're just picking up the towels that are out that don't seem to be associated with a person. You need to "claim your space" at a water park or pool. A folded up towel on the end of a lounge chair -- when it appears that there's nothing else on the lounge chair -- doesn't exactly look like someone is setting up camp there. It looks like someone left a towel behind. You unfurl the towel ... add a book ... maybe a water bottle. Claim your space! :thumbsup2

See, and I'd think the unrolled/unfolded towel was used and ready to go to wherever they take used towels. Seeing a dry, folded towel signals unused and awaiting a wet person to me. :laughing: Obviously there are differences of opinion, as you think the opposite. I think it's silly to have to bring extra stuff to the pool just so your glasses don't get tossed (velcro straps, books, etc.). And I'm just realizing how silly this is (debating the position of a towel). :upsidedow

a lot of mine have already been mentioned. and i am a pretty laid-back individual, so not a lot really bothers me. a few incidents that did, however:

1. a family who kept standing in the open pathway before a parade. the cm repeatedly asked them (nicely) not to block the path. they would back up, the mom would call him names in a foreign language, and then they'd move right back into the path. this went on for at least 15 minutes. the poor cm was getting frustrated. we were standing right at the edge of the path, out of the way, so we could move up once the path was closed. we had been waiting for awhile. the mom moved up and indicated to me that she'd let my dd stand with her. um. no. i've been here for quite longer than you and i will be with my dd. anyway, the cm finally closed the path and the family took up almost the entire front space, in front of other families who had been there longer. and all of the adults in their party stood up (when they could have sat) and had their children stand beside them in one big long line. i sat on the ground with my dd in my lap, so i wouldn't block others' views. it bothered me how the family treated the cm, how they stood in a line when they could've had their children in front of them and how they were incredibly rude pushing other guests out of the way when the path was closed.

2. at flame tree barbeque, a family made a horrible mess while eating--food and napkins everywhere. when they were done, not only did they leave their junk on the table, they actually set one tray down on the ground, with their napkins, uneaten food and trash all over the ground. it made me sad. we always clean up our mess.

regarding people who call things by the wrong name, my mom ALWAYS does this. and she knows what the real names are. but she just has always been this way. i roll my eyes and just laugh.

2. at flame tree barbeque, a family made a horrible mess while eating--food and napkins everywhere. when they were done, not only did they leave their junk on the table, they actually set one tray down on the ground, with their napkins, uneaten food and trash all over the ground. it made me sad. we always clean up our mess.

regarding people who call things by the wrong name, my mom ALWAYS does this. and she knows what the real names are. but she just has always been this way. i roll my eyes and just laugh.

I hate when people do this, and not just at WDW. A few weeks ago I was at a local CS restaurant and there was some kind of team (lacrosse, I think) eating there. The kids were at one table (well, actually several tables pushed together), and the adults were at another. When they left, the kids' table was a disaster area, and the adults did nothing about it (I don't recall if the adults had at least cleaned off their own table.) Nice, huh? :sad2:

Well sorry, but I'll chime in on this one too. Last year, my daughter and I were TRYING to enjoy Beauty and the Beast, but it was next to impossible because a large family was holding a VERY loud conversation in their native language throughout the ENTIRE and I do mean ENTIRE show!:confused3

This actually happened to us at the Indiana Jones show. There was a big group of people who couldn't understand the dialogue at the show, so they just talked loudly the entire time. It was very disruptive for those who wanted to enjoy the show, and I would've been just as annoyed with the people doing that if they spoke English. The only difference is I could've given then a piece of my mind. :rotfl:

Also, about the scooters. I *know* there are people who rent them and don't need them, but please give people the benefit of the doubt. My mom had achilles tendonitis during our last trip. She could walk just fine at home, but WDW was obviously way to much for her, so we had to rent a scooter. She may not have *looked* like she needed it, but she did.

A lot of pet peeves out there! To each their own :upsidedow

My parents were both in EVCs this time around. Both in their late 60's, pooh-sized, father has a bad back and developed bronchitis halfway through the trip, and mother had two broken toes (no walking cast, cane, or anything like that)....so we definately had the stares and the comments that they were "fully capable of standing in line with everyone else". My parents wouldn't have made it through the trip without using the EVCs and they certainly could not have stood in line for 100 minutes at TSM without pain or difficulty.

People are quick to judge. It happens. My mom asked me to drive her EVC because she was sore from sitting for so long and wanted to walk from JIYI to The Land pavilion. Well I did drive it over there and in that time span, the looks and comments I got from other guests made me feel like I had just shoved my mother out of the chair and sped away. Not that others should bother me, but I didn't drive the EVC after that.

But my pet peeve?

The misting fans. No...I do like the refreshing cool sensation they give on a hot summer day, but I don't like it when someone's misting right next to me, not paying attention, and then I end up with water spots on my camcorder lense and I have to try to clean it off. A CM was misting guests before a parade and my hand instinctually covered my lense and he just did an "OOPS!" face, ducked, and aimed for my legs as he crossed. I mouthed "Thank you!" and we got a little laugh out of it. I really appreciated that he noticed and changed his aim. However, I didn't appreciate a CM outside of RnR who was misting, but the fan wasn't even attached to the bottle, so would that be squirting? I was wearing a white/flowered satin summer dress and he started going after me and I quickly tried to scurry away saying "No water! White dress! White dress!" Well I ended up getting water marks on the lower back of my dress....so the water ran lower.....and I spent some time in the bathroom trying to dry it off. Amazing that I survived the severe rainstorm that day without a problem by wearing the poncho, but had to worry about the squirting/misting fans! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter