Pet owners I have a question about dog food

Iott Family

DIS Veteran
Ok, we have always fed our past pets Iams brand but our new puppy keeps getting a recurrance of diarehea and the vet seems to think it is the Iams causing issues so wants us to feed him their brand of food. I dont think I have to tell you its very pricey and we feel like they are just pushing their brand for profit. My question is, what brand do you use?

Thanks!

Two things:
1) Iams is a pretty bad dog food. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, it's just not an area that people know a lot about! Iams, along with many, many other foods have a high percentage of grains (corn, wheat etc) and that can often cause a lot of tummy toubles!

2) The good news? There's a ton of foods that are low in grain and high in protein and do not cost a ton, and you certainly don't need to pay the vet a ton of money. The main thing you want to do is examine the first 5 listed ingredients. They should be all meat sources (And preferably whole meats or whole meal--not by-products). After that, some grains (rice is best, but others are ok too).

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul is a good one that isn't too pricy. We've used the Wellness brand for a long time and have been really happy with it.

We feed the Costco Kirkland brand to our Danes, and have had great results. It's very highly rated and is much less expensive then some of the brands we've tried in the past.

When researching foods, you want to be sure to make sure that the protein is the first ingredient listed, and the food doesn't contain fillers and known allergens such as corn. Make sure a SPECIFIC protein is listed. Anything that just says "meat" can contain anything from roadkill to euthanized pets. Google the article "foods pet die for" for more information about the pet food industry. And don't do it before lunch! :(

My beloved dog suffers frequent urinary tract infections. Several years ago she'd formed crystals in the urine. Rather than have her condition lead to developing stones, I took the vet's advice and feed her a special food I buy from the clinic. It is pricey but my dog's so worth it. I hope it decreases costs in other areas as a result. She does still get UTIs--but no bladder stones (and therefore no surgery)--but her health is undoubtedly aggravated by her allergies. :sick:

As a disclaimer, the vet and I are friends. He has heard frequently how expensive I think veterinary care is but he's an associate, not the owner. However, I also listen to his viewpoint that veterinarians have the same underlying medical preparation as human physicians, both at significant expense. He also points out that prices build in the expense of maintaining an office and staff.

If I were to get another dog in the future, I think I'd investigate the cost of pet insurance.

I'll also mention that I attended a vet conference in January where costs/income were topics of several seminars. Some of the vets are willing to work with clients in bill payment and one speaker mentioned how his staff "saw the writing on the wall" and was willing to forgo raises this year. The staff at my friend's office wasn't even offered that option: salaries froze at last year's rates. So they're not totally oblivious to client expenses, not that it's helpful to those of us paying the bill.

I also wanted to add, that for my friend at least, it's not a 9 to 5 job. His office opens at 8 AM and closes at 5 PM. On Mondays, the office is open until 6 PM (at least). When he's finished seeing clients, THEN he has lab reports to evaluate and call-backs to make. Some nights, he's been there until midnight.

For those vets who are "large-animal" vets, the hours are worse; they often work from 6:30 AM until 6:30 PM, and then someone takes "call" for which they're available for the remainder of the night. No extra pay of course.

Starting salaries aren't all that good, around $50K. Not an easy job at all.

One dog eats the Solid Gold Wolf King for large breeds.

The other eats Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit for small dogs.

We have been using so many different ones trying to find the perfect fit. Honestly better food besides being better for the dog means smaller poop! they are using more of what's in the food.
So I rationalize it that way.
I check out Dog food analysis
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Iams is rated only 1 star. (full of fillers)

Solid Gold is a 4 star product. I try to stay in the 4 star or better. We used to use Evanger's Pheasant and Wild rice but that's hard to find(it's a 5 star rated) I do buy it when I can find it - at the agway. But the dogs seem ok with either one. My little one has trouble with the Evangers because the kibble is too large for her.

That being said back in the day before "specialty dog food" We fed our English Bulldog Purina One lamb and rice(a one star rating). He lived a long and heathy life. (14 years old when he passed away:sad1: miss you Harry)

We buy Merrick's dog food. Our shih-tzu is the world's worst eater and I tried everything under the sun, and this seems to be the only thing that she is OK with.

She likes their Cowboy Cookout, Thanksgiving Dinner and Turducken.

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

Two things:
1) Iams is a pretty bad dog food. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, it's just not an area that people know a lot about! Iams, along with many, many other foods have a high percentage of grains (corn, wheat etc) and that can often cause a lot of tummy toubles!

2) The good news? There's a ton of foods that are low in grain and high in protein and do not cost a ton, and you certainly don't need to pay the vet a ton of money. The main thing you want to do is examine the first 5 listed ingredients. They should be all meat sources (And preferably whole meats or whole meal--not by-products). After that, some grains (rice is best, but others are ok too).

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul is a good one that isn't too pricy. We've used the Wellness brand for a long time and have been really happy with it.

Do you work at a pet store? Because this the EXACT spiel I got from the guy helping me when I asked for IAMS- they aren't going to be carrying it anymore. And he did recomment the Chicken Soup dog food, which I did get.

I felt like crap when he compared the ingredients, and DH thinks I just fell for a sales pitch. :rotfl:

When we had Ted (miss you Ted :(), we figured out after a lot of vet visits that eh was allergic to wheat. We ended up feeding him California Natural, which was wheat free. It wasn't cheap, but neither was taking Ted to the vet once a month to get medicinie to clear up his allergic skin rash, so we went with the food. ;)

With a puppy, I think sometimes maybe they might get into something and upset their little tummies. Also, Ihave read with changing over food that you do it slowly...start with 1/4 serving of the new food mixed with 3/4 serving of the old food. The next week make it 1/2 new & 1/2 old, the next week make it 3/4 new, 1/4 old, the next week all new.

Locally we get very few choices. Among what's available, we have settled for Royal Canin's Poodle formula and Cesar. That's because they are the only ones Mia would actually eat. Any dirt on those?

We have always used Science Diet. Pricey too, but it is what our vet wants them on.

I've had luck with Nutro, they sell it at petsmart. $45 for a big bag, but it lasts me two months so that's not too bad.

This is a great web site:thumbsup2 for understanding the quality of food you are feeding you dog. I also used it when picking food for our Yorkie. I ended up using Merricks (wet) and Innova evo (dry).

I believe it is better to feed them the best food you can afford. The healthier your dog is: the longer, healther life he will have. With hopefully less trips to the vet.;) I think of it like 'people'...the better you eat the healthier you are.

What kind of dog do you have & how old is it?

My Great Pyrenees Molly had a lot of stomach problems when she was fed Iams. I had posted on this board about her frequent diarrhea and Nature's Recipe was recommended to me. I feed that to Molly now (the fish meal and potato) and she has been doing much better, thank the Lord!

Science Diet is low rated dog food. (and the vets get kickbacks from that company from what my vet friend tells me)
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=135&cat=all
If it's pricey really check out some of the better rated foods here. Most of the 4 stars are available at your local Petsmart or whatever pet store.

Yes, please don't feed your dog Science Diet. It's a very poor quality food. Many vets recommend it because they sell it and get kickbacks from the company, my vet included. From the vets I know, most don't know much about canine nutrition. They just don't teach that much about nutrition in vet school.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul is a good, low cost dogfood.

I feed Taste of the Wild, because it's a quality food and my dog likes it. I switch brands often though since he is a picky eater. i've also used Canidae, Wellness, Pinnacle, Innova, Blue Buffalo, all of which are quality foods.

A few years ago after our dog had a few severe bouts of dirrhea & vomitting, we found out that she was allergic to anything beef flavored, including her dog food. We put her on a chicken-based dog food (Purina natural blends) and we haven't had any problems since.

Maybe you could just change the type of food your dog is eating. Try chicken or lamb if your dog is currently eating beef and vice versa.

My yorkie really likes By Nature Organics. We get it at Petsmart. The pieces of food are tiny enough for her and she hasn't had any issues with it! HTH!

When we had Ted (miss you Ted :(), we figured out after a lot of vet visits that eh was allergic to wheat. We ended up feeding him California Natural, which was wheat free. It wasn't cheap, but neither was taking Ted to the vet once a month to get medicinie to clear up his allergic skin rash, so we went with the food. ;)

With a puppy, I think sometimes maybe they might get into something and upset their little tummies. Also, Ihave read with changing over food that you do it slowly...start with 1/4 serving of the new food mixed with 3/4 serving of the old food. The next week make it 1/2 new & 1/2 old, the next week make it 3/4 new, 1/4 old, the next week all new.

We feed California Natural now and Go! Natural dry. Both very good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter