Personal info was also stolen in Target breach

Shelly F - Ohio

Disney Extraordinaire
Will Target be able to survive the breach in customer data. Our paper did an article about a lady in our town who files a federal law suit against them. How many other law suit will be brought again them especially now that personal information was also stolen.

http://www.newsnet5.com/web/newsnet...redit-card-info-was-stolen-during-data-breach

Might be worth it to sign up for credit monitoring rather than deal with the wrath if you have ID theft.

It sounds like more than one database was scraped here because address, phone number, email, etc. are not stored on the mag stripe on your credit card. Possibly their online shopping database, gift registries, their pharmacy database, or their own records of RedCard holders/applicants. Or somebody got the information they gather when your DL is scanned to buy alcohol or pharmacy items.

I don't have a RedCard, but if I did, I'd be concerned because if that's one of the DB's that got scraped, then the thieves would have SSN's, too. Target's not saying that right now, but the way they've been dribbling info. out, it wouldn't surprise me if that's next.

How could someone hacking Target's credit card files result in ID theft? They can get credit card numbers and that is about it. I think someone is trying to drum up business and whip people into a frenzy for no good reason.

Also for someone to win a lawsuit and seek damages they have to show they incurred losses. How was this person harmed?

Might be worth it to sign up for credit monitoring rather than deal with the wrath if you have ID theft.

On NPR today they said that Target will be providing 1 year of free credit monitoring to those affected by the breach. Target said they would announce details of how to sign up for the service next week.

Apparently Target ended up automatically replacing everyone's Red Cards even if you didn't request it, like me. I tried to use my card last weekend and a message popped up saying the card had been canceled. The cashiers had no idea why, but then today I got a new card in the mail.

I honestly don't think this is going to have a huge long term impact on Target. Their target customer (no pun intended) is women in the higher socio-economic brackets with disposable income, and those customers are not going to flee to Wal Mart or other discount stores en masse. Yes there may be a short term decline in business until customers ensure they've fixed the problem, but long term they've got a loyal customer base that isn't going to want to shop at other discount stores. I for one shop at both Target and Wal Mart, but I know more affluent women who look down on Wal Mart and will continue to shop at Target merely for the "image" reasons.

I was never much of a Target buyer anyway so other than me checking my acct. more faithfully I won't be doing anything different. And I know when I went to target to do return after breach was announced the store seemed as busy if not busier than before.

I for one shop at both Target and Wal Mart, but I know more affluent women who look down on Wal Mart and will continue to shop at Target merely for the "image" reasons.

True. In Seattle they will never let WalMart open any stores. There would be riots in the street just like the last time they had the World Trade Organization convention in town.

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I used a bank debit card at Target before Christmas - not a Target card, not a credit card. My bank proactively sent me a new debit card and I destroyed the old one. Is my personal information at risk from using a bank debit card?

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I used a bank debit card at Target before Christmas - not a Target card, not a credit card. My bank proactively sent me a new debit card and I destroyed the old one. Is my personal information at risk from using a bank debit card?

Hackers obtained encrypted PIN numbers from debit cards. This means they did obtain PIN numbers but it's unknown at this point if they will be able to access them. My guess is that they will eventually get access to them.

Since you already have a new card, you should be ok. They can't clone your old card and use your pin to withdraw funds bc that card is cancelled. If you want to feel more secure, you can always create a new debit card pin.

The credit card/debit card situation is concerning because it released information that probably would be nearly impossible to get otherwise.

The personal information part I'm not worried about. While it is organized in one place, all that information if out there on the internet anyway. It's information you freely give to your kids school, or your work, or the DIS Boards when you sign up.

Hackers obtained encrypted PIN numbers from debit cards. This means they did obtain PIN numbers but it's unknown at this point if they will be able to access them. My guess is that they will eventually get access to them.

Since you already have a new card, you should be ok. They can't clone your old card and use your pin to withdraw funds bc that card is cancelled. If you want to feel more secure, you can always create a new debit card pin.

Thanks!

Will Target be able to survive the breach in customer data. Our paper did an article about a lady in our town who files a federal law suit against them. How many other law suit will be brought again them especially now that personal information was also stolen.

http://www.newsnet5.com/web/newsnet...redit-card-info-was-stolen-during-data-breach

Filing a lawsuit is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's information that is easily accessible by any number of sources. It's like people have forgotten that 10 years ago all of that info was the phone book and in large parts of the country, probably still is.

We have Wal-Marts here but I certainly don't shop there so Target it is.

Filing a lawsuit is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's information that is easily accessible by any number of sources. It's like people have forgotten that 10 years ago all of that info was the phone book and in large parts of the country, probably still is.

We have Wal-Marts here but I certainly don't shop there so Target it is.

No it not. This person is filing a law suit because she had money taken from her acct- cleaned out and the transactions were done overseas. Her acct is not backed by the FDIC. It was an acct that her alimony money was deposited into. Much like the welfare system where the issue those folks a debit card.

She is not suing because they know her name, address and phone number

No it not. This person is filing a law suit because she had money taken from her acct- cleaned out and the transactions were done overseas. Her acct is not backed by the FDIC. It was an acct that her alimony money was deposited into. Much like the welfare system where the issue those folks a debit card.

Okay, let's be clear, and I just checked, at this point, not a single Target customer has lost a penny. Nobody has been hacked, yet.
They are at risk. Every hacking expert I have seen or read commenting on the situation agrees, Target did everything it could in advance to protect data.
Target is a victim too.
I have no idea who this person is who is suing, or the circumstance, other than if no Target customer has been hacked yet, then how she can go after Target is beyond me.
Also FDIC only insures you in case your bank fails. They do not protect against theft. If this woman has not had her money restored by the bank, she needs to sue the bank.

We just heard on the news that our local Target was closing! Now the only place left is Walmart, Kmart went last year as well. I detest Walmart and will really miss Target. The next closest one is 20 minutes away. We got our new Target Redcards and no place to use them!!!

Okay, let's be clear, and I just checked, at this point, not a single Target customer has lost a penny. Nobody has been hacked, yet.
They are at risk. Every hacking expert I have seen or read commenting on the situation agrees, Target did everything it could in advance to protect data.
Target is a victim too.
I have no idea who this person is who is suing, or the circumstance, other than if no Target customer has been hacked yet, then how she can go after Target is beyond me.
Also FDIC only insures you in case your bank fails. They do not protect against theft. If this woman has not had her money restored by the bank, she needs to sue the bank.

I refer you to Hannaford, a company that did EVERYTHING right and was still hacked. They lost in court against some class action lawsuits. The courts previously were mixed in determination, but Hannaford and some other smaller decisions seem to indicate that the burden is now on the companies.

Did a quick, dirty Google search and this was the first thing that popped up:
http://www.infolawgroup.com/2011/10/articles/motion-to-dismiss/federal-appeals-court-holds-identity-theft-insurancecredit-monitoring-costs-constitute-damages-in-hannaford-breach-case/

Now that's federal. Depending upon your state. . .well. Some are very, very friendly to consumers and not so much to the business. (If you file suit in Louisiana for damages related to credit card theft, the way the relevant law has been interpreted, the business just needs to bend over and kiss its tail goodbye.)

ETA: Could you please post links to the articles that claim definitively that no one's information has been used?

Then it sounds like she should've set up automatic transfers from that alimony account to an FDIC insured checking account the second that it was deposited. I don't receive alimony, but I'm pretty sure the account isn't locked down prohibiting her from moving it to a more secure location. And, at least in Nevada, money from the welfare system certainly can be deposited into a checking account.

I'm not saying Target doesn't have responsibility here - but it seems to me that this woman could've taken many steps to avoid this and just didn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter