• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Perks of Resort Online Check-in?

nlm74

Mouseketeer
Is it faster? What if I'm assigned a room and have a different preference? Would love to hear user experiences!

THANKS!

N

I have to say our first trip we did online check in, we were given a great room. Our second trip (POR) we didn't, we were placed as far away from everything as we could possibly be put with out being in POfQ and still be in POR lol. We r traveling in 20days I did online check in this time. The way I look at it now the room assingers see what u want in the computer and place u were it works best. If you don't like were u are assigned ask nicely at checkin and if they can they will change your room. It's the luck of the draw, the way I see it.

Sometimes the on-line check in line is faster, sometimes not.

However, one thing I will say is that more times than not when we do online check in and have an early arrival, our room has been ready, which is nice.

I've heard the lines for on-line check in can be terribly long. is there really a benefit to checking in on-line versus waiting until you get to the resort?

I always do online check-in and the line has been shorter than regular check-in. I've never specified a specific room though. One time, I was given a great location. Other times, completely adequate locations. Only once was I not too happy with the location. Additionally, my room has always been ready with the exception of one time, the same time the location wasn't so great. Overall, on-line check has been convenient.

I think we'll do it.
How far in advance did you do check-in? What happens if you check-in and need to cancel or change the trip?

Another perk may be that you can skip the desk and go directly to your room. If you already have your Magic Bands and you check-in online, you may be eligible for this. I got a text when my room was ready and we were able to go directly to the room itself. I liked it.

The one and only time we did online check in we got a surprise of a CL room at WL. We had only booked a standard.

Even if you do online check-in, you can still get a different room when you get there. We have changed rooms at the desk twice after doing online check-in. Once, at AKL, b/c the CM really wanted us to have a better view (her idea, not ours, lol!) and the other at AoA b/c our assigned room wasn't ready yet, so the CM gave us a choice of 3 others that were.

So it really can't hurt you, only help. And I've never seen then line be longer - usually shorter or maybe about the same. Though I don't think I've ever seen a significant line at any check-in, just one or two people waiting usually.

I think online check-in is 60 days out, but I'm not positive. It used to be 10, but I was thinking it changed with FP+. Your MDE account should tell you how many days until you can check in though. And I've also made changes to a trip after doing online check-in, it doesn't matter. After I changed our dates, I went in and did the cjheck-in again just in case, though the CM on the phone told me it wasn't necessary.

Another perk may be that you can skip the desk and go directly to your room. If you already have your Magic Bands and you check-in online, you may be eligible for this. I got a text when my room was ready and we were able to go directly to the room itself. I liked it.
This! It's the most significant reason for on-line check in as long as you have your magic bands ahead of time. As long as you fully complete all the on-line check in tasks (put a credit card on account, set up a PIN for charging, etc.), you never have to visit the front desk.

This is great feedback. I feel like I've done it in the past but I can't remember, I will jump on and do it now! WOOT WOOT
(so excited for Sept, but don't want to wish away the New England summer!)

Online check-in should be faster because your packet is ready and waiting for you. There are usually fewer CMs at the online check-in counter because it's a faster interaction. However, online check-in has increased in popularity so more people are doing it, but there are still more CMs at the regular front desk counter. So I think that's why the lines can be bad at times. Especially if you're arriving on a bus full of people.

That being said, I'd still recommend online check-in if you are arriving at prime check-in time, on a weekend, or just a busy time of year like the holidays.

We have never arrived late before. 1/18/16 (Monday) we will arrive at POR requested AB section. Our plane lands at 10:30pm. Would online check in be a good or bad idea for us? We will be at POR for 4 nights then hopping to WL. Will we end up with a lousy location or will there be more rooms empty that night since its MLK day.

How far in advance does everyone usually check-in? Right when your window opens or closer to departure?

How far in advance does everyone usually check-in? Right when your window opens or closer to departure?

You're able to do it at 60 days out. I think most people do it then because it's something to do. There is zero difference if you do it at 60 days out or closer to arrival. Just depends on when you want to do it.

I always do it but still go to the front desk, mostly because I want to make sure my bands work. Sometimes my room is ready, sometimes not. I usually wait until a day before I go to check in.

I check-in online when it opens but we stay at POFQ & don't really care what building our room is as long as it is the category we booked (usually river view). Sometimes it has been ready when we get there (in before 12:00 but other times we didn't get in the room until 3ish)

Last edited:
Our flight gets in around 7pm and we will also have to pick up our magic bands at the front desk at POR. Would there be any point doing on-line check in? We have requested a room close to the main bus stop due to mobility issues (no preferred rooms left) and also prefer the AB section. I am not sure how much luck we will have after arriving so late in the day.

Our flight gets in around 7pm and we will also have to pick up our magic bands at the front desk at POR. Would there be any point doing on-line check in? We have requested a room close to the main bus stop due to mobility issues (no preferred rooms left) and also prefer the AB section. I am not sure how much luck we will have after arriving so late in the day.
You can still do the on-line check in. It can save some time once you arrive at the front desk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter