PERISCOPE livestream app WDW and Disneyland

janni518

DIS Veteran
not quite sure where to put this...

Is anyone else using the new Periscope app? I believe it's for iPhone etc but I've heard that people are able to access it through laptops and such.

The following info is sourced from Fast Company: "Periscope is an app ( I believe it's affiliated with Twitter) that allows people to broadcast live video from their smartphones to the Internet. When you open the app you see a list of live feeds, both from people you follow and from strangers."

The streams vary wildly. Serious news discussion, The Ellen show writers seem to have one going constantly, I ran across people wialking their dogs, making dinner, college kids doing ridiculous things, guys/gals doing AMAs, people grocery shopping in various countries, a guy in Target who took requests. In fact that to me, is one of the more interesting aspects. It's interactive. You can hear the streams and then you can type comments, requests, suggestions. I had one guy call my dog by name and tell him he was a good boy. Another group of people acted like they were on a roller coaster while broken down on a ride. (See below).

You also give LIKES or rather LOVE by tapping the screen to make hearts, if you like what you are seeing the user sees a stream of colorful hearts. It lets the people who are streaming know that you like what they are

I, of course, immediately put the keyword "Disney" in the search field and lost myself for several hours, watching fireworks in WDW, riding teacups, and even getting stuck on the People Mover

Right now the app is in the infant stages but it's raking off fast. Of course all the usual warnings apply when using this type of application. They just addressed a privacy issue involving location services.

Has anyone else been using this? I will totally be broadcasting during my next Disney trip. I know there are many places you can't film, and I'll be respectful of those rules, but sitting here in rainy NJ last night, it sure was fun watching the spring break crowds at the various parks.

It works with Twitter you can broadcast or watch whomever you follow on a Twitter.

I've watched live streams from Attractions magazine as they walked around the parks. You can ask questions and the broadcaster will respond to your questions. Very cool.

Meerkat is another app that does similar.

Hi! Thanks for your response. I had tried Meerkat but it hasn't seemed to catch on yet, and Periscope must be getting better press because just in the past week the traffic has increased dramatically. I will check out Meercat again.
I've noticed more "official" users, like sports teams and celebrities. My favorite streams are still Average Joe, walking around in my happy place.
I'll have to double check where filming is allowed in WDW. I assume it's okay in most common areas and restricted in actual attractions.

If anyone has an official list, I'd appreciate a heads up. In the meantime if we decide to do a live stream, we'll just use common sense and maybe check with a CM, if there's no announcement.

If you are bored and needing a Disney fix, give it a try. (As with any social media be aware of trolls)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter