Pergo Floors?

livie1205

DIS Veteran
I am thinking about getting pergo flooring for our living area it is a 400 sq ft area, we have tile in our kitchen and bathrooms and carpet everywhere else but i HATE the carpet...our house is 2 1/2 yrs old and we put in carpet when it was built because i was pregnant and i knew i would have a baby on the floor (i was afraid she would hit her head alot) anyway with 3 kids i cant keep this **** clean to save my life so i want to rip it out and have home depot put in pergo flooring...who has this? do you like it? it is going to cost about 1400.00 with install..

I have Pergo in my kitchen. It's been there for over 9 years and looks as nice as the day we put it in.

I wouldn't have Home Depot do it, though. Shop around and you can probably get a better price and faster service. HD uses local business to subcontract their work in a lot of cases - you could cut out the middle man and save some money. :)

We have it throughout our house. And you may want to reconsider installing it yourself. It's super easy to put down!! Seriously, we had absolutely zero experience with floor installation, and we did about 2000 sq ft in a few days. It looks great!

My dad, after watching us, decided to redo his floors too. He did about 1500 sq ft BY HIMSELF. He's 70 years old. It definitely goes faster with two or more people, but I wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone they could absolutely do it themself.

Good point on the install! My DH and brother did our kitchen and nook area (with some freaky angles!) in about 8 hours and a case or so of beer.

You can do it yourself. Like the previous poster said, it's SUPER easy. We put laminate in and my in laws put Pergo in. I wish we'd have gone with Pergo. It looks so much nicer and doesn't scratch and gouge like my laminate does. I've dropped a few things on mine that have gouged it and any I've got scratches that I have no idea where they came from. My in laws Pergo looks fantastic still.

i have alot of angles also i would be afraid we would cut it wrong...my thinking is they put it in ,they fix it if its messed up...told them this up front and got it in writing...lol i also talked them into 20% off the install and 1.20 a sq ft on the pergo in med cherry color (the color of our kitchen cabnets)they are going to come in 2 days to measure and they said it takes 2 or 3 days for them to come install. We dont have animals but i do have 3 kids (like animals lol) and I was hoping this stuff would hold up..

Do you have a Costco near you? I was there yesterday and they had several different floorings you could buy and install, all very nice looking! I would definitely compare prices before buying.

i have alot of angles also i would be afraid we would cut it wrong...my thinking is they put it in ,they fix it if its messed up...told them this up front and got it in writing...lol i also talked them into 20% off the install and 1.20 a sq ft on the pergo in med cherry color (the color of our kitchen cabnets)they are going to come in 2 days to measure and they said it takes 2 or 3 days for them to come install. We dont have animals but i do have 3 kids (like animals lol) and I was hoping this stuff would hold up..

I'm certain the Pergo would hold up. It's guarenteed. The guy that installed my in laws hit it with a HAMMER....hard...and nothing happened. If I did that to my laminate.....well, it wouldn't be good.

As far as installation....it might be still be cheaper to do yourself even factoring in some mistakes. You'd surely have extra pieces since you buy by the box. For me, it would be more a matter of whether or not I wanted to put the work into it. It's not hard or really very time consuming, but it is still work none the less.

we've got pergo throughout our entire house (except in laundry room & bathrooms) and i LOOOOVE it. it's 8 years old and still looks just as nice as it did on day one. i highly recommend it.

I'm certain the Pergo would hold up. It's guarenteed. The guy that installed my in laws hit it with a HAMMER....hard...and nothing happened. If I did that to my laminate.....well, it wouldn't be good.

Pergo is just a specific brand-name laminate. Some laminates are more durable than others. One really does get what they pay for.

I'm researching laminate floor for my kitchen. In fact, I just came back from a flooring store to look at it.

I found this article very useful. There seems to be a significant variation on the durability and moisture resistance of different brands, and sometimes even within different lines offered by the same manufacturer. Many lines of Pergo are not particularly well-rated, and the woman who is designing our kitchen said she's heard many, many stories about Pergo not holding up.

I'm leaning toward Armstrong or Wilsonart, but I want a tile/stone pattern, and don't have as many choices as you do if you are doing a wood-look pattern.

Our Pergo is about 6-7 years old, and we do have a chip or 2 here or there. I'm not sure how they got there, but I will say I have a rambunctious boy that has friends over all the time. Also, it's starting to buckle at the seams, but I think it happened because I got on a vinegar kick, and started using vinegar instead of ammonia in my mop water. I think the vinegar dissolved the glue. Pergo wants you to use only Pergo floor clearer or ammonia and water. At least, that's what I remember from when we got the floor installed.

Pergo is just a specific brand-name laminate. Some laminates are more durable than others. One really does get what they pay for.

I'm aware of that. It's Pergo brand that I was referring to. I have a 4 yr non-Pergo laminate that's not holding up well while my inlaws pergo brand looks brand new after 10 or so years. If it were me, I'd go Pergo.

I'm certain the Pergo would hold up. It's guarenteed.

Pretty much all the name brands carry at least a 20 year warantee. Really, that's not particularly meaningful when you read the fine print of what exactly is covered in the warantee, and when you consider that relatively few people will make the claim.

When we put in our Pergo, there weren't so many options! It was Pergo or... nothing :) I don't know that Pergo even had different quality levels - just different colors.

Our floor is glued together, not the snap together kind you find now. We used to use only Pergo cleaner on it, but now I also use the wet swiffer pads. When we put it in I honestly didn't expect it to look so good 9 years down the road. I had figured by now we would replace it and continue the flooring into the dining room, but I can't justify pulling it up because there is nothing at all wrong with it.

I put those floors in my big family room and they look great. However, I wonder how you clean yours.

The flooring store I visited last night was having a big grand opening, and it was swarming with salesmen and reps from the manufacturers. I asked a few of them about cleaning it, and they all pretty much said the same thing.

It is pretty low-maintenance. Buy one of the cleaners recommended for laminate. It doesn't matter what brand, and evidently some of the recommended mops have heads that you can throw right in the washing machine. The key thing is that you don't want to be slopping a lot of water around on it, and the cleaner should be pH neutral. One of the guys said they'd put down a floor in their kitchen and his wife went on a big cleaning everything with vinegar kick (very acidic). That kind of ruined the finish on the floor so that it looked like it has a film of gunk on it. Ammonia (very alkaline) is also not recommended.

We had the dark cherry colored pergo for about 5 years. I never did like it because I thought it was hard to clean. It always showed streaks in the light no matter what type of mop I used and how little water. We replaced it with hardwood when we remodeled our kitchen and I love the hardwood. I think it was the color of pergo that we had though. My friend has a lighter colored pergo and hers still looks good 8 years later.

We had Lowes do ours last year. It is so much easier to clean than carpet. I live with 9 cats and 2 mechanics and the carpet never stayed clean! Now we get area rugs and when they get ruined, we just will replace them. The laminate floor cleaner is great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter