• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pepsi

I don't really like Pepsi but I sure do miss Mountain Dew. We are fortunate that we are able to drive down so we take several six packs with us when we go.

I joke with DS all the time that we need to finance our trips by bringing a bunch of Pepsi products and beer and sell them in the parking lot out of the back of our truck. We'd make a fortune......:rotfl:

DH is a mountain dew fan so this is what we do when we fly. We order water from staples and a case of Mt Dew (they run about $.50 a can which is higher than I like but......) that won't get you to 'free' shipping so we always add an ink cartridge for our printer they run $15-20 bucks and are tiny. Then we get free shipping and have it all shipped to the resort, DH gets his Mt Dew fix, we have water for the room, and the ink cartridge takes up a teeny tiny spot in the suitcase on the way home.

We have went to Goodings once when driving for Mt Dew and it was insane like $4.99 for a 6 pack of the small bottles, drove down to the Winn Dixie a way's down and got some, but it wasn't worth the hassle so I just went back to shipping it in.

On our first visit to Disney in 96' we weren't aware of Disney being a Coke only property. My DH is a Mountain Dew addict. So, 4 days into our vacation, he was starting to go through withdraw. We came out of one of the parks, the one where you can see a gas station across the way. DH said, "let's get a taxi and go over there and get a MD. We got in the taxi; he told the driver where he wanted to go. The driver asked why do you want to go over there? When DH told him, he just laughed and shook his head, saying, "you won't get one at that gas station. It's on Disney property." So he took us to the closest 7/11 to pick up a 12 pack. By the time we got back to the hotel, that Mountain Dew cost us $26. :rotfl2: My DH had his Dew in hand at the bus stop the next morning, and was offered $5 for a can, by another addict that was going through withdraw.:lmao: So now I actually pack it in our suitcase.

We are Mt Dew and Pepsi drinkers here.

We go to Flipper's Pizza in the Crossroads Plaza because they have Pepsi products, oh yeah, the pizza is good too. :rotfl2:

Flipper's does delivery.

They way I always heard the story was:

Pepsi had the contract for DL. On the opening day Pepsi couldn't make the delivery. Coke said "we can do that" and Walt said Coke has the contract now. And so it has been ever since.

I just tolerate coke products while I'm there, kind of used to it living in metro Atlanta. Everybody's house I visit here have coke in their fridge. I'm sure they are not happy coming to my house because we always have pepsi products.

They way I always heard the story was:

Pepsi had the contract for DL. On the opening day Pepsi couldn't make the delivery. Coke said "we can do that" and Walt said Coke has the contract now. And so it has been ever since.

I found a reference to this on snopes.com and found this link.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20B1EFF3B5C1A7493CAAB178BD95F458785F9

October 28, 1971,
, Section BUSINESS/FINANCE, Page 69, Column , words

As they are in Disneyland in California, both Coca-Cola and Pepsi Cola are being served in the new Walt Disney World near Orlando, Fla. Neither seems to have any definite ideas about tying that fact into any promotions.

So I think its just an urban legend.

ETA: Found other links

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200907/1278/

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/apr/15/business/fi-39370

http://www.mainstgazette.com/2011/09/always-coca-cola.html

Another myth put to rest. Thanks for the link, Chartle.

BTW, IMHO I think they should serve Pepsi.

What interesting is that the exclusive contract was signed in 1985, the same year New Coke came out.

If you read up on the whole fiasco, New Coke came out because Coke was worried about market share over Pepsi. It seems like the contract was part of some push by Coke to anchor their market share to make sure even though Pepsi was preferred over Coke in taste tests Coke still out sold Pepsi.

I found this to be one of the best articles on the subject.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/newcoke.asp

I wonder if the New Coke saga is taught in Business Schools these days.

I am a Pepsi drinker. I have someone that will get it to the resort for me along with water, but if we have a car we always stop for water and Pepsi. I also have taken it on a couple of cruises. I could of sold it, so many people asked me where I got it. Even the staff. I think Disney could give us a choice!

.... I think Disney could give us a choice!

Not going to happen in today's business climate. Coke pays a lot (rumored that all syrup is free, maybe even all Coke Products) to be the exclusive provider of soft drinks for Disney Parks which keeps Coke the number one soft drink sold.

Same reason why its hard to get a decent cup of coffee at WDW and why an AT&T phone can't get the Mobile Magic App*.

*without doing an end around Verizon.

Which is good because at one time they sold RC Cola :scared1::scared1::scared1: at least in Ohio.

Oh no I just angered the RC Cola fans, flame suit on. :goodvibes

Hey! I kinda like the RC Cola!!! Goes good with the Moon Pie...:lmao: Heck, I even like Diet Rite Cola..

Hey! I kinda like the RC Cola!!! Goes good with the Moon Pie...:lmao: Heck, I even like Diet Rite Cola..

Hey I want some Cherikee Red.

DSC_0134.JPG

I guess I'll have to go to a Penguins Game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherikee_Red

In 2010, Cherikee Red, in conjunction with R.C. Cola, had brand exclusivity in Pittsburgh's Consol Energy Center home of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

This is the only place I know of where RC has any exclusive rights, maybe some other sports venues?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter