People with 4 kids! How do you afford Disney

jenbarnwell

Mouseketeer
We are about to have another baby. We will have four kids. My childrens ages are 10, 7, and 2. Next year we will have an adult and 2 children and a infant...what places can we stay at? And how affordable is it? Thanks for your info!!

I'm no expert, but if you go next year before your 2 yo's 3rd b-day, you'll have 2 adults and 2 children to pay for. The two youngest will be free. You can also go during free dining offer. It might be affordable and not as overwhelming as you think.

Thanks for your input! Baby turns 3 in august! We plan on coming down in February so it will be three adults and two children!!

This was the entire reason why we bought DVC. I was pregnant with #4 when we stayed at the Poly, and we realized that we've never be able to stay in 1 room again, and we certainly we're going to be staying in 2 room at disney. We don't like the values, so it was a no brainer for us. DVC, 2br villas! If you plan on doing disney often, definately look into it.

Go during the off-season when hotels are at their cheapest; stay at a Value resort - look for discounts and stuff on the internet. We also save our change all during the year in a giant Disney jar.

If I understood you right, at some point next year you are traveling with:
2 adults (the parents)
a Disney kid-adult (the 10 year old) - not relevant for room discussions
a kid (7 years old)
2 infants (2 year old and newborn)

From a Disney occupancy standpoint, this makes you a family of 5+one infant. Only one of your 2 children under 3 can count as an infant for room occupancy purposes.

So you will have to get a room that has a stated occupancy of 5.

Value and some moderate resorts have awesome family suites. Also, the new hotel should be done next year 2012 and that will have a lot of family suites. Book through a disney travel agent, they can look for deals for you and some deals are only released through disney travel agents. If you want some more help on how disney is affordable with that many kids you could private message me. My dad is a certified disney travel agent and books many vacations with 3+ kids.

We have 5 kids which is one of the main reasons why we bought into the Disney Vacation Club. We use our points to stay in a 2 bedroom villa which gives us TONS of space - the master bedroom has a King bed, the 2nd bedrooms has 2 Queen beds and the living room has a pullout sofa and a pullout chair. The villas also have a washer/dryer and a full kitchen.

You can rent points from a DVC member and save quite a bit of money vs paying Disney directly for the same room.

You can also stay at the Family Suites at the All Stars or the Fort Wilderness cabins or just get 2 adjoining rooms at Pop or one of the other resorts.

We always eat breakfast in the room (cereal and milk, pop-tarts, fruit, etc...) and then pack a cooler bag with drinks and throw some portable snacks (cookies, gummies, chips) in the backpack. Sometimes we get the Disney Dining Plan which saves us money on the buffet meals for all the kids that are age 9 and under (right now that applies to all 3 of our boys).

We are lucky enough to be able to get the tickets using the military promotions or get annual passes with our DVC discount. If you are a AAA member then you can look into getting discount tickets that way as well.

We set a budget for souvenirs and each child can pick out something within that budget (usually $25 to $50 per child).

We pay cash for our trips and use money from ebay, yard sales, consignment sales, craigslist sales and any per diem that DH gets from going TDY.

You don't have to spend a TON to go to Walt Disney World. The kids will have a blast just being there. Don't worry about being sucked into having to do all the "extras" like character meals every night, Bibbidi Bobbity Boutique or pirate cruises. While those are great fun, they do add up and when you have more than 1 kid then it gets very pricey.

Also, check out Bonnet Creek (next door to Caribean Beach Resort) for lodging. Renting from an owner runs $100-$130 night for a 1500+sq ft unit. It has a kitchen, so that can cut down on breakfast and snack cost, at a minimum. Also, look into YES program tickets - huge savings for your entire family, and a fun 3ish hour program for your oldest 2 kids. :thumbsup2
Another option if you want to stay in a Disney operated hotel is to only go during free dining and get 2 adjoining value rooms.
Have you considered renting points from a DVC owner? You can get very nice (luxury level) lodging at a fraction of the cost.
Have fun planning!!

If I understood you right, at some point next year you are traveling with:
2 adults (the parents)
a Disney kid-adult (the 10 year old) - not relevant for room discussions
a kid (7 years old)
2 infants (2 year old and newborn)

From a Disney occupancy standpoint, this makes you a family of 5+one infant. Only one of your 2 children under 3 can count as an infant for room occupancy purposes.

So you will have to get a room that has a stated occupancy of 5.

My 2 year old will be 3 at the time...so she will be kid aged! LOL! I should have put that lol! Will we be able to stay in Port Orleans with the trundle bed until my newest baby will be 3???

We have four ages 11,9,5,2. Space and occupancy is one reason we bought into DVC but that was mainly for the space for extra people like grandparents and friends. For just our family I like staying at the All Star Music Family Suites as much as a DVC room once I factor in the cost. IMO the Family Suites are very reasonably priced.

Now its really the airfare that is killing me.:scared1:

Your cheapest option would be Port Orleans Riverside. It is the only moderate that allows families of 5. Your infant doesn't count toward your room count until he/she turns 3. It would be cramped, but it is allowed.

Wow!! Thanks so much for all the valuable information EVERYONE!!!

As far as DVC goes, We just cannot afford DVC at the present moment!!

I know its doable just different kinds of vacations than what we are used too!!

My 2 year old will be 3 at the time...so she will be kid aged! LOL! I should have put that lol! Will we be able to stay in Port Orleans with the trundle bed until my newest baby will be 3???

Yes - it still remains the same - you will have 5 + one infant. POR with the trundle bed would work but that will be a tight fit, I would think! But many people do it.

We have four ages 11,9,5,2. Space and occupancy is one reason we bought into DVC but that was mainly for the space for extra people like grandparents and friends. For just our family I like staying at the All Star Music Family Suites as much as a DVC room once I factor in the cost. IMO the Family Suites are very reasonably priced.

Now its really the airfare that is killing me.:scared1:

We drive so arifare is not a problem!!!

We did a price quote at All Star suite and it was a very large amount!! But it is definitely doable! Port Orleans was much more reasonable, at least until our littlest one turns 3!!

Your cheapest option would be Port Orleans Riverside. It is the only moderate that allows families of 5. Your infant doesn't count toward your room count until he/she turns 3. It would be cramped, but it is allowed.
Thanks!! That was my biggest question!!! Cramped is ok, we neber spend a lot of time in the room anyway!!

How do you feel about renting a house just outside the the parks? You will get much more for your money by doing that! Guess it depends if being onsite or off site makes a difference? Your tickets are your biggest expense but if you ask for Disney gift cards for birthday and holiday's that will help to defray the cost alittle for you!!!

Just something else to think about! You will be driving so renting a car won't be a problem either!

Wow!! Thanks so much for all the valuable information EVERYONE!!!

As far as DVC goes, We just cannot afford DVC at the present moment!!

I know its doable just different kinds of vacations than what we are used too!!

Are you locked into staying on site? When we have had more than 4 people with us, we've stayed at Bonnet creek. I gotta tell you, it's a gorgeous place and we got just as much 'disney magic" as on site. We don't do ddp or free dining so those aren't incentives for us and it's so close, it took no more time than disney transportation.

There are places offsite that have:
a master bed/bath
another bedroom with 2 beds
another bathroom
kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, etc. - totally equipped
Living room
Dining area
Patio or balcony

...all for the cost of a WDW moderate.

It would add maybe 5 minutes to your commute. If you normally take the bus and this time you drive, you'll probably end up saving time.

Food for thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter