• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

People that have been to St. Thomas...

aidtrismommy

"Keep Moving Forward"
I am having trouble deciding what to do in St. Thomas.
I am interested in going to Mountain Top, having a delicious banana dacquiri, and enjoying the view. My question is, how bad is the ride up? I am reading reviews and it sounds treacherous. What are your opinions? TIA.

We did the Best of St Thomas Island Tour (I think that's what it's called) last year and it stopped at Mountain Top. The drive up wasn't bad at all. It's all paved roads, they are just a bit on the twisty-turney side. The views up there are great and the daiquiris were delicious. They also have some pretty good bargains on souvenirs. I'd definitely go back there. :goodvibes

I have a review of it in my trip report from that cruise, this is the post with the excursion review.
Our "It's a great VGT rate, let's just go" Eastern Caribbean cruise - Jan 24, 2015

Last edited:
We always do some shopping in St Thomas due to the very favorable allowances in bringing stuff back to the states.

We didn't do much on St. Thomas. I don't know if Disney has this excursion or not, but on other cruise lines, my Dad and I have taken a boat over to St. John and spent a couple hours at Trunk Bay Beach. It is literally the most beautiful beach I have ever been to. I would highly recommend that excursion if you can.

Thanks for the responses so far. We are looking for something a bit easy for St. Thomas because the day before we will be in Tortola and I have booked a full day group charter thru Aristocat Charters to the Baths and Cooper Island. We will be out all day, swimming, snorkeling, exploring, beaching it. So for St. Thomas we are looking for something easy, maybe some sight-seeing. Thanks again and keep the advice coming...

Thanks for the responses so far. We are looking for something a bit easy for St. Thomas

Heck, then just catch a taxi to Blackbeard's Castle. If you're feeling mildly adventurous you can walk down the hill from there to downtown Charlotte Amalie, do some shopping and then catch a cab back to the boat if you don't feel like walking back.

I am having trouble deciding what to do in St. Thomas.
I am interested in going to Mountain Top, having a delicious banana dacquiri, and enjoying the view. My question is, how bad is the ride up? I am reading reviews and it sounds treacherous. What are your opinions? TIA.
Are you talking about the gondola? The ride up (and down) is beautiful and although it may swing a bit due to wind, we didn't find it treacherous.

If I could I'd sooooo do this.... http://www.8tuffmiles.com/ (but then again I'm a marathoner) in st. thomas....although, last time I was there we did the zip lining, and it was fun and all but after the 3rd or 4th zip it was ehh....views were awesome at the top though.

The Skyride at Paradise Point I believe is different than Mountain Top. I am not interested in the sky ride at all.

The Skyride at Paradise Point I believe is different than Mountain Top. I am not interested in the sky ride at all.

They are 2 different things. All the roads are pretty twisty in St. Thomas. Mountain top is basically a mall but the bar that serves the banana daiquiris has great view.

Looking for ideas for our stop at St. Thomas too. Just 2 adults. Help we can't decide?????
Ditto for us! (Been to Megans Bay several times, shopped in town, did the sky ride once, and have done Kon Tiki once. Also, boat ride to St. John once, but ride was way too rough for me.)

They are 2 different things. All the roads are pretty twisty in St. Thomas. Mountain top is basically a mall but the bar that serves the banana daiquiris has great view.

What is the Mountain Top and how do you get there?? And, are there a lot of steps to climb once you get there?

Last edited:
"]Looking for ideas for our stop at St. Thomas too. Just 2 adults. Help we can't decide?????[/QUOTE]

We two adults (very adult :-) ) took the ferry to St John , about a 45 min ride , and then had a tour of the island in an open-air bus. Saw beautiful scenery , an old sugar mill , a gigantic termite nest , donkeys ambling the roadway.... an enjoyable overview. If you are younger than dirt , this might not be exciting enough but we enjoyed it.

Ditto for us! (Been to Megans Bay several times, shopped in town, did the sky ride once, and have done Kon Tiki once. Also, boat ride to St. John once, but ride was way too rough for me.)

"]Looking for ideas for our stop at St. Thomas too. Just 2 adults. Help we can't decide?????

We have been several times as well. We own a timeshare there. We are thinking about doing this in St. Thomas http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/.

You can have use of the pools as well as tour the estate and the tower. Since we will be in Tortola the day before and plan on beach day thought this might be relaxing.

Last edited:
What is the Mountain Top and how do you get there?? And, are there a lot of steps to climb once you get there?

It is a small shopping mall with t shirt shops, souvenir shops and a bar with great banana drinks. You can take a cab. There are very few steps there.

Last edited:
It is a small shopping mall with t shirt shops, souvenir shops and a bar with great banana drinks. You can take a cab. There are very few steps there.

Is it hard to get a cab back?

We don't mind steps going down - but a lot of steps going up would be hard for us.

We have been several times as well. We own a timeshare there. We are thinking about doing this in St. Thomas http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/.

You can have use of the pools as well as tour the estate and the tower. Since we will be in Tortola the day before and plan on beach day thought this might be relaxing.
Thanks! That does look interesting - and something different.

Looks like most steps are going down and it drops you off in downtown (where you could easily catch a cab back to the ship).

We took a private charter out of Red Hook and it was amazing... got to see Jeff Epstein's Little St. James island(as close as we could get).... and St. John's beaches, they were gorgeous

Last edited:
Is it hard to get a cab back?

We don't mind steps going down - but a lot of steps going up would be hard for us.

Thanks! That does look interesting - and something different.

Looks like most steps are going down and it drops you off in downtown (where you could easily catch a cab back to the ship).

That was our thought. Tour a little, relax by the pool a little. Take the steps to town and catch a cab back to the ship. Cabs are plentiful in St. Thomas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter