• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

People Just Don't Get It!

Kerchak

"You're here for a good time not a long time!"
We're 2 professionals with no kids, and WDW is our "guilty pleasure". We travel to WDW from the UK twice a year to enjoy our home away from home. However, people just don't understand why a childless couple insist on going back to Disney year after year. People seem to think it's all Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and all a bit childish for 2 adults on their own. They don't understand that DVC and WDW gives us an escape from 2 very intensive and responsible jobs. Disney offers a safe and fun environment where we can throw caution to the wind and let our hair down with like minded people, without the fear of being judged. I'd be interested to know how other DVC'ers cope with the naysayers.

Not a DVCer, but I can tell you that people don't understand why DH and I chose to go to Disney WITHOUT the kids. They don't get that it is a chance to be totally immersed in magic that we haven't found anywhere else. DH is in the Army and when we are at Diseny (with or without the kids) is the one time that I see him truly relax.

We're 2 professionals with no kids, and WDW is our "guilty pleasure". We travel to WDW from the UK twice a year to enjoy our home away from home. However, people just don't understand why a childless couple insist on going back to Disney year after year. People seem to think it's all Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and all a bit childish for 2 adults on their own. They don't understand that DVC and WDW gives us an escape from 2 very intensive and responsible jobs. Disney offers a safe and fun environment where we can throw caution to the wind and let our hair down with like minded people, without the fear of being judged. I'd be interested to know how other DVC'ers cope with the naysayers.

All I say is "I have a timeshare". People don't know how to respond to that and just let it go.

we tell them that we are going to Mount Wannahockaloogie, for the induction of the newest member shark bait ooh ha ha. :worship: nobody says a word to us.

Ya, we get that too...all the time. So yesterday I was thinking about it and realized most people vacation with a goal in mind: They want somewhere they consider beautiful, safe, relaxing, lots to do, comfortable, reliable and fun. DH and I have found that in WDW. We don't see the reason to keep exploring other venues in hopes of finding it again. DH has traveled all over this country and I've been to more Caribbean Islands than I can count. We choose WDW not because it's all we know...we choose WDW because with all we know, this is our idea of a perfect vacation.
Truth be told, we always end with 3 or 4 nights on St. Pete Beach, just to decompress. For us, that is the cherry on top. :3dglasses

Even with kids involved they often don't understand. To me it's usually a combination of ignorance and jealousy. If they don't want to go there or they even have a general opinion of the entire subject, that's fine, but criticizing my personal choices without invitation instantly steps over the line. Sometimes I just ignore them but nowadays I often say something like "jealous are you?" or simply that we really enjoy going and that's what WE chose to do, but it depends on what they say and how they say it. We just had a recent HI trip and have been a number of times over the years. Often people will say something to the effect they'd like to go but it's too expensive. My response is generally something along the lines of "other than airfare, we usually spend less than going to the beach 2 hours away". If they hit a nerve, I usually say something like "we went for 2 or 3 weeks and only spent $XXX" depending on which trip we're talking which usually either puts the item to rest or they respond by asking how they can go so cheaply also. When I say FF miles and timeshares that's usually the end of it, most people aren't inclined to ask further how they could do the same with timeshare and FF miles. I'm thinking they are making often incorrect assumptions about both options.

What I tell anyone you tries to give me lip:
He who pays the piper :rockband: calls the music :charac2::mic:.
If any of your friends, co-workers, or family members want to pay for you to go on vacation, go and have a great time on them. If you are paying, go where you choose and do not worry about there opinions.

I don't have this problem, but that's mainly because I tend not to share many details with various friends and co-workers.

I've never been able to explain why to anyone! We go at least once a year without children. They say WHY? I just shrug my shoulders and smile.

I have converted a few, but they were the ones I've helped plan their vacations. They come back, look me in the eyes and say "I get it"

I take joy and comford that my wife and I get it! You should too!

We go with both our young adult children and without children. The perspective when you do not have young children with you is very enjoyable to me.

We were at BWV in August. One morning while everyone was still asleep (they had been up until 2 am at MK Magic hours), I went out by myself and grabbed a bus for the opening at MK. I enjoyed each stop of the bus as we picked up excited little ones and their parents. I then went into Harmony Barbershop to see if I could get a haircut. I didn't have a reservation and the line was long so I left and sat outside for awhile and watched as families came strolling into the park. I had no time commitment, no children to look after, and no real place to be so I could people watch without any stress or schedule. I then took the Monorail through the Contemporary and on to the TTC. I followed that with another Monorail ride to the gates of EPCOT. Incidentally, riding above EPCOT by way of the Monorail is a great perspective of the park. I went into EPCOT, and walked to the World Showcase which was just opening and bought some pastries in France for the sleeping teenagers back at BWV. I then walked to BWV through the Boardwalk entrance of EPCOT and made it back in time to start breakfast (or brunch at this point) for the sleepers.

The point is, I could never do this when my children were younger but now I enjoy Disney in a completely different way. I expect I will enjoy this type of Disney experience for several years and then begin enjoying a new one as my children have their own children and we travel together. The experience is different EVERY time you go. I have been 5 times this year and each visit has been its own adventure.

Stephen

Since becoming a DVC member, I have been blessed to visit WDW more frequently than I had in the past. I've also been able to do DCL and ABD trips. My co-workers now know that I usually travel during breaks and always ask where I'm going. I try my best to be vague because of the jealousy a PP referred to. I went to Hawaii and Greece this year with DVC and one of my co-workers asked me what bank I robbed.

People, in general, do not understand anyone who does things differently. Now I only tell my immediate family(those who need to contact me in case of emergency) where I am going. They wish me well and off I go.

I have finally figured out that the reason I like returning to WDW(besides the high level of service) is that it is the only place where I can be a kid. I can take pictures with characters, dance to the parade music, and no one bats an eye. It's a time during which I can let my hair down, and I don't do that often.

I too get the same reaction from co-workers and up till about 5 years ago my own BIL. He too couldn't understand why a highly educated single woman could find returning at least twice a year to a place designed for children so exciting. Then one Easter, I took him, my sis and my three year old nephew on a last minute trip. The only availability was at SSR in a studio and so we made do. He loved the theming of SSR as we are from NY and he'd been to Saratoga in August and appreciated the likeness. Then we went to LTT for a character dinner and while he enjoyed the look on his son's face each time a character came by, he was also amazed at how much the LTT was like a house built in 1776 from the height of the fireplace to hand blown glass windows. Then the ELP and Wishes, again amazement. Then on to Epcot where he was amazed by all the science as he is an ER doc. After a week, he said I get it and never teases me about going anymore and we're all heading back this Christmas:santa:. Just do what makes you happy!;)

We go yearly and get the same questions. We finally bought DVC this year!!!!! We came back 2 weeks ago and had a great time. This is a relaxing vacation for my family, even if others don't think so. You don't need to open and close the park everyday. We did the rides we wanted, enjoyed the boat ride from WL and left the park to swim. Disney vacations are great.

We are in the same boat. DH and I do not have kids, but we are kids at heart, and we love Disney. A lot of people don't "get it". They can't seem to comprehend that WDW offers many things to many people, even adults without kids. We recently purchased a DVC resale, how we cope? - we just aren't going to tell anyone unless we have to, i.e. they are with us at WDW.
I actively try to convert my MIL and FIL, I think it may be working...If we treated them to an AKL SV room I think that would get them hooked.
:love:

When we lived back north, we would come down once a year. FW, original Tree Houses, original Vacation Villas were our choices. Once we moved down it was Value Resorts until kids were gone and we bought DVC in '97.

Started going 4 and 5 times a year and people started questioning our sanity.

We never took offense when questioned and gladly told them how happy we were and that there was so much more than just characters and we knew we would have no problems with the accommodations or transportation or dining or entertainment or services or things happening that might ruin our vacation, reverse psychology. We would also explain that we had no need to see the country or the world at that time.

We have since sold our contracts and have a motor home now so we visit FW 5 to 8 times a year plus we go to other campgrounds. We do not camp but consider our campground visits as RVing especially since our motor home has everything our house has only with one and a half bathrooms instead of two and a half bathrooms.

Having a love for Disney is not for everyone and I fault no one because they might not understand but acting snooty or what have you back at the person can not be a good thing when trying to show your enjoyment for The Mouse.

Another trip later this month for ToT 10 miler then December for the "season" visit and January for Marathon Weekend and on & on & on....

We bought into DVC a few years ago, and it seems that whenever I am planning a vacation to WDW my coworkers, say you're going there again, aren't you sick of it yet? No we aren't sick of it yet. WDW is comfortable. We like to try a new sit down dining and experience that is new every trip. And.... because we are DVC members, we were able to steal a 4B family veranda cabin on the Magic for $649 PP; with trip insurance, it cost LESS than an inside stateroom. We will be leaving for that next week and two weeks after that we are staying at the AKV concierge (yeah first time!!!! and Sunrise Safari!) So are we sick of it....ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! We have next years trip planned and thinking about the planning stages of the following year.

Not to mention making some really great friends with other DVC'ers on the cruise. I hope the friendships last long after our cruise has ended!

My son will be out of the house in 3 years and we are already talking about staying at our favorite the THV without him, which would make it just the 3 of us. Waste of points? Absolutely not when this is where we LOVE and want to stay.

OP you've joined the group here who drinks the koolaid and likes it!

So when is your next trip and where are you staying. I don't care why, because it doesn't really matter. We all have the same reasons....because we love it!

Oh, we get it all the time, too. Two middle aged people with no children and now have almost no family left and we love throwing away the responsibility and heading to the World. We've traveled to many other places but finally bought into DVC in 2001 just because we like it best.

Heading to Disneyland in October, WDW in February and October 2013 and darn happy to be doing so!

We are in the same boat two. We have no kids but this year was our tenth visit and we too are DVC members. We call WDW 'our happy place', No stress, totally cut off from our real world and very streeful jobs. If we could go twice a year, we would buit we make up for it by going for a month at a time :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter