People complain about the wand on SSE, but this is worse!

I do not think its a problem...they spend a lot of money to sponsor SE and Illuminations, so seeing their name on SE after Illuminations in laser form is perfectly fine.

Let's face it...corporate sponsorships are a reality these days. If there's a place to slap on a logo and make some $$, even Disney is going to jump at it. All things considered, it could be worse.

It doesn't bother me in the least. It is not a permanant sign plastered to the geosphere, and it does not affect pictures taken of the sphere, even at night you can still go to the entrance and get a pic with no lasers in it.

It is not in the same league as the wand or the cemetary (oh sorry monoliths).

I am grateful for the sponsorship, SSE is much cooler now (some disagree), esp the Project Tomorrow area. I love everything about the new SSE!

It does not bother me. The more sponsors the better.

It is fairly consistently reported in biographical info on Walt and the Disney company and DL that they were always seeking corporate advertising/sponsors. I can understand if you think it looks tacky -- but the concept is in keeping with Disney's history and planning.

With all the obvious ignorance about the name, guess its a good thing the
name of the guy who invented to modern toilet has disappeared into obscurity.....if you care, his name was Crapper:cool1: you are left to you
own devices to think about that one:confused3

I don't mind it, I'd rather have corporate sponsorships and nice things in the parks, than no corporate sponsorships and things not as nice or updated as often. I feel like I see corporate logos so often anymore that I'm just kinda desensitized to them.

Funny story- A week or so ago I was having an HSG done (invasive flouroscopic procedure on my uterus) and I was laying on the cold table scared out of my mind, and I looked up and saw "Siemens" on the machine above me. OMG I started crying! It just seemed like a gentle reminder to go to my "happy place"-- EPCOT!

Spaceship-Earth_Seimens.jpg

If you are that annoyed with the Siemens on the geosphere after Illuminations, don't look. If you want to take pictures of the "goodbyes", take pictures. It's a rotating thing so I"m sure you can easily figure out just when the Siemens is going to be displayed.

I agree with all the people who say corporate sponsorship is here and it could be a heck of a lot worse (great photo, Robo). What major league sports stadium (and a lot of minor league ones too) doesn't have a sponsorship name? How about all the college bowl games now?

The only way to not have corporate sponsorship is to raise ticket, hotel, and food prices. I'd rather have Siemens on the geosphere for a minute or two.

Give it a few years and I'll bet good money that's what you'll see. I'm waiting for Ronald Mcdonald to start appearing at the end of the parade in Magic Kingdom.

Sorry, I like going to the world to disconnect from real life, I don't think I really need to see "Festival of the Lion King" brought to you by Poligrip super hold.

Once corporations figure out they can make a dime easily, it's usually a slippery slope. "Please stand clear of the monorail doors and now a word from our sponsors...."

I'm sure Illuminations costs a ton of money for Disney to run every night. If the corporate sponser wants to have their name shown on Spaceship Earth for 10 minutes ever night in return for their contribution, it doesn't bother me.

Would those who are complaining about it rather Siemens drop out and have Disney raise the cost of park admission $50 bucks a person? I'm grateful that in this ecomony they still want to sponser Spaceship Earth and it hasn't been cut down to 3 nights a week.

This has been going on for a long, long time. Before it was Siemens' logo being projected after Illuminations, it was GE's. Is it just a problem now because it's not GE? :confused3 And how can a logo projected temporarily onto one side of SE for an hour or so be compared to a giant sparkly wand that was up 24 hours a day?

The company was Siemans and Halske back in the 1800's. Werner von Siemans started it with Halske in Germany over 150 years ago.

I worked for an ENT and we used Siemans hearing aid products for the patients. Strange how I rememebr this stuff.

Yeah I noticed the sponsers name on SSE. I don't mind it because it does not affect my pictures, however that wand sure does affect the pics...although the wand doesn't bother me as much as it use to.

Since it no longer exists, I would guess that the "wand" is of little bother at this point.

Sorry, I like going to the world to disconnect from real life, I don't think I really need to see "Festival of the Lion King" brought to you by Poligrip super hold.

I'm sure, but without corporate sponsorship that disconnect from real life would be hard to find. Enjoy and use selective vision. If they don't at least perceive a return on their investment in some form, it's a pretty good chance that neither they or the attraction would last long. Sad fact of capitalist life.

I'm sure Illuminations costs a ton of money for Disney to run every night. If the corporate sponser wants to have their name shown on Spaceship Earth for 10 minutes ever night in return for their contribution, it doesn't bother me.

Would those who are complaining about it rather Siemens drop out and have Disney raise the cost of park admission $50 bucks a person? I'm grateful that in this ecomony they still want to sponser Spaceship Earth and it hasn't been cut down to 3 nights a week.

Exactly! I would gladly look at any sponser lasered in the sky at HS to have Fantasmic back to everynight and not have to fight the crowds. We noticed the Siemens ad on the ball but it didn't bother me, like others have said I'm just glad there are sponsers around to keep everything running.

Once corporations figure out they can make a dime easily, it's usually a slippery slope. "Please stand clear of the monorail doors and now a word from our sponsors...."
Uh, I don't think so. Disney has had other companies sponsor various aspects of the parks for many, many, many years. Back in the early 90s, SSE was sponsored by Bell. Kraft sponsored The Land. As indicated by another poster, Wonders of Life was sponsored by MetLife from the day it opened. GM sponsored Worlds of Motion; GE sponsored Horizons. Exxon sponsored Energy Adventure.

There's no "slippery slope". If Disney were going to sell advertising on its transportation, they'd have done it long, long, long ago.

I made a similiar comment on our last trip... what a name for a company. I do some electrical, and buy their products all the time. GREAT stuff! But I agree, I'd have named it something else.:rotfl:
Poor man that started the company...guess he never thought of the reactions to his name.

Well, considering that it's a 100+ year old international company that was founded (and, for a long time owned) by the Siemens family in Germany... I'm sure they think they picked exactly the right name. :)
My mom used to work for Siemens....every time I see that at Epcot, I think of her. She would have been thrilled to see it there...she loved that company.
I really can't imagine how anyone can find a company name offensive. No one seems to have an issue with Kodak or GM as sponsors. I can only imagine what prices would be like if there weren't any corporate sponsorship at WDW.

To those who, for whatever reason, find it offensive to see it flashed on SE, just don't look in that direction. It's just not that big a deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter