• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Penny Press Machines on Wonder/Magic

Memaw2Wm

DIS Veteran
My grandkids love to collect pressed pennies at WDW ... are there any penny presses on the ships?

If so, do you know where?

Thanks!

We cruised on the Wonder twice last year and didn't see any on the ship or in the terminal. My boys collect them as well so we had our eyes peeled.

There are also none in the terminal.

I asked in January when we went.

I do have a pressed quarter from a machine that was on the Wonder. It was dated 1999. So they did have machines on board the ship at one time but don't seem to have them anymore .

We were on the Wonder in Feb. and my dds were collecting from DW. We asked on board and they said they got rid of the machines a few years ago.:mad:

Just heard an interesting discussion about these machines on our local radio station....question was does the actual penny you put in the machine come out pressed....or does the machine hold a supply of "pressed" pennies in different designs and spits out the one you chose.

The D.J. was heart broken when he heard that it is not the penny you put in that is actually pressed. A caller said they cannot use real pennies because it is defacing US currency and that is illegal.....anybody know for sure how these machines work?? Just curious!!

We have used these machines in the past at WDW and never really thought how it was done. If I can remember we had to put in a penny along with .50 for the machine to do its thing.

MJ

Originally posted by mmouse37
Just heard an interesting discussion about these machines on our local radio station....question was does the actual penny you put in the machine come out pressed....or does the machine hold a supply of "pressed" pennies in different designs and spits out the one you chose.

The D.J. was heart broken when he heard that it is not the penny you put in that is actually pressed. A caller said they cannot use real pennies because it is defacing US currency and that is illegal.....anybody know for sure how these machines work?? Just curious!!

We have used these machines in the past at WDW and never really thought how it was done. If I can remember we had to put in a penny along with .50 for the machine to do its thing.

MJ

:( Then why do we go through all of the trouble to find clean shiny pennies? I hope this is not true.

Well, happily, that's not a true statement...there are several where you can actually SEE it happen (I thought I remembered that at OKW?), and I found this on a Penny Press site (where they sell the machines)

It's Legal! -- U.S. Code Title 18, Chapter 17, Section 331: Prohibits among other things, fraudulent alteration and mutilation of coins. This statute does not, however, prohibit the mutilation of coins if done without fraudulent intent or if the mutilated coins are not used fraudulently.

*goes back to saving shiny pennies*

*wink*

Seems like all the presses we've used at WDW you can see the penny drop into the press and watch it get smooshed ... that's half the fun!

I believe that they do use the penny that you put into the machine.

There have been occasions where I have used a Canadian penny to make my pressed penny. Sometimes you can still see the imprint of the original letters when you look at the back of your pressed penny.

I am very glad to hear that!!! Maybe I will send the the above article to the Radio Station to put the D.J. mind to rest!!!

MJ

I can confirm that at DL and CA that you get the penny back that you put in the machine. - Mike

You can not deface currency if you intend to defraud someone with it so the penny (& quarter) squishers are considered legal because the end result is a novelty item - it doesn't make your penny look like a quarter.

I too love to see the actual coin being pressed. My favorite is a "six toed cat" quarter that I made at the Hemingway House in Key West. I miss the machines on the ships.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter