Pelican Plunge

KAR3600

DVC Member since 1996 - Cruising is the best part!
I haven't been to CC since Pelican Plunge was installed. Can you give me some details? Age limit how old is too old! Do you swim to it? Do you wade in water until your turn?

Did they put it where the Pirate Ship used to be?

Thanks!!

It is on the other side of the Heads Up Bar at the far end of the family beach, near where the teen beach use to be. You have to swim out to it and there is no age limit as far as being too old.

Pelican Plunge is a dual water slide. One side is open (slower) and the other is closed (faster). There is a spiral staircase that you have to climb to get to the entrance of the slides.

I haven't been to CC since Pelican Plunge was installed. Can you give me some details? Age limit how old is too old! Do you swim to it? Do you wade in water until your turn?

Did they put it where the Pirate Ship used to be?

Thanks!!
Not sure if you have been to CC since they added the tram stop out by Cookies Too, but that is where it is. They also have added a water play area for the little ones called spring a leak. The slide has two tubes. The open tube is more popular and is a little slower. The closed tube is a faster tube.. be careful, may be too fast for some younger kids.

Thank you all but one more....I saw on another thread no sandals on the slides.....is it true? My poor feeties can't handle the rocks and such....what's a wippy walker to do?!?!

My dad and I did it. I took my waterproof camera and took video. Mind you this video is really bad and I am not the greatest swimmer, I think for a second I thought I was going to drown (kidding... kinda'). You can see though how fast it goes... http://youtu.be/wJI4AtePKqk

Thank you all but one more....I saw on another thread no sandals on the slides.....is it true? My poor feeties can't handle the rocks and such....what's a wippy walker to do?!?!

Don't know about the no sandals thing. But it makes sense, they'd just come off when you hit the water anyway. The sand at CC is quite soft.

As to the age thing, is 62 too old? I think not :rolleyes1. DH & I enjoyed it. I'd do it again.

:cutie:

Don't know about the no sandals thing. But it makes sense, they'd just come off when you hit the water anyway. The sand at CC is quite soft.

As to the age thing, is 62 too old? I think not :rolleyes1. DH & I enjoyed it. I'd do it again.

:cutie:
My dad is in his later 50s and did the tube slide. He loved it so much he did it a few times. The cover one kind of scared me because I didn't know what was happening, and I'm not good with surprise...

This grown-up-sized kid loved the Pelican Plunge slides! In fact, my DH (who is also a grown-up-sized kids) liked the slides better than the Aquaduck.

Not sure if there is a height restriction for the little ones, but the slides are at the top of a staircase - you wait on the staircase to go in. You must swim out to the area where the slides are, and traffic flow is very well regulated by lifeguards.

There were bins to stow our beach bags while we went on the slides, since we had no grown-up-sized grownups to leave them with ;)

This video shows the slides and the whole Pelican Plunge area pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsC65o5MCGs

Enjoy! You'll love it!

kdeans1010 said:
My dad and I did it. I took my waterproof camera and took video. Mind you this video is really bad and I am not the greatest swimmer, I think for a second I thought I was going to drown (kidding... kinda'). You can see though how fast it goes... http://youtu.be/wJI4AtePKqk

If you don't mind what did you have for a waterproof camera/recorder? I'm going to buy a waterproof camera with video mode, the quality on yours looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

How long and how deep is the swim out to PP? I have two boys who will NOT want to wear life jackets but they are not the strongest swimmers in the world. They do jump off the high dive at our local pool and can easily swim to the side afterwards -- is it that kind of swim?

I am not the one who posted the video, but I have a Kodak Playsport. I never thought to use it on Pelican Plunge, but will in a couple of months!

I love that with that waterproof camera/video recorder, once I download the videos, I can "snap" a still photo to save as well. I found it was best to use it on video mode when snorkeling and then I could "snap" the photos that came out best once we got home.

I also used it when we did the dolphin swim in Grand Cayman. Got some great shots of the family with the dolphins that way.

On a side note - it's a decent swim out to Pelican Plunge. The water was pretty chilly last time we were there (December 2010) and it was chilly while waiting for the slide, but definitely worth it!

If you don't mind what did you have for a waterproof camera/recorder? I'm going to buy a waterproof camera with video mode, the quality on yours looks awesome!

First: thanks! My sister thought the video looked like I was drowning. I will never be a movie maker.

Second:
http://www.qvc.com/GE-High-Def.-1080p-Water&Shockproo-Camcorder-w2GB-SD-Card.product.E166802.html?refType=IOFFER&refNumber=E168011&sc=E166802-DTLR&cm_sp=UPSELL-_-IOFFER-_-1&relType=IOFFER&refLocation=1

And I paid a lot more for it. I think I paid nearly double a couple months ago. I like the size, that it fits in my hands, it looks like a cellphone. It takes a couple minutes to get used to (there's a red button in the center that isn't to take a picture- it is to record. I tried to have a teacher take a picture of my class and he accidentally took 20 minutes of video).

DLW8 said:
I am not the one who posted the video, but I have a Kodak Playsport. I never thought to use it on Pelican Plunge, but will in a couple of months!

I love that with that waterproof camera/video recorder, once I download the videos, I can "snap" a still photo to save as well. I found it was best to use it on video mode when snorkeling and then I could "snap" the photos that came out best once we got home.

I also used it when we did the dolphin swim in Grand Cayman. Got some great shots of the family with the dolphins that way.

On a side note - it's a decent swim out to Pelican Plunge. The water was pretty chilly last time we were there (December 2010) and it was chilly while waiting for the slide, but definitely worth it!

Thanks a bunch!!! We're on the NYE cruise this year so thanks for the chilly water update!

How long and how deep is the swim out to PP? I have two boys who will NOT want to wear life jackets but they are not the strongest swimmers in the world. They do jump off the high dive at our local pool and can easily swim to the side afterwards -- is it that kind of swim?

My DS, 4 at the time he went down it with a life jacket on. I am not sure about the rules of wearing one or not but the swim is a decent amount more like the length of the pool.

The four-ish yards of water surronding it is about nine feet deep. I would suggest they wear a life vest if they are not strong swimmers.

I think life jackets are required for kids under 7, but optional for older kids. My DD is 8 and didn't want to wear one, but the swim is pretty long (15-20 meters?) and the water is deep enough that even adults have to swim most of the distance. I talked my DD into wearing a life jacket "just the first time" so she could get a feel for how far/how deep. She wore one voluntarily from then on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter