Pecan Pie - Recipe with or without Karo Syrup?

I've never heard anyone say beef "fill-let" in Canada, only 'fil-ay', although I do generally call strips of fish "fill-lets" (except for McDonald's Filet-o-fish :lmao:).

Pasta is definitely pronounced paaa-sta (as in 'bad') not paw-sta though...unless one is trying to be pretentious ;).

Oh...and 'Karo' is pronounced 'Behive golden corn syrup'.

So do Canadians think everyone who says pasta like......well, the way you say it when you're not saying it like "bad".... is being pretentious? Or does that rule only apply to other Canadians? Because really, we were just taught to say it that way. Basically rhymes with lost. Throw a P on to the front of "lost" and an "uh" on the end and you have it.

Is the Canadian way to just add an "a" on to "past"? PAST-uh?

AustinTink.....On the topic of Karo, I grew up in East Texas and it's K-ro there. Did you grow up in a different part of Texas? We'll solve this mystery yet.

AustinTink.....On the topic of Karo, I grew up in East Texas and it's K-ro there. Did you grow up in a different part of Texas? We'll solve this mystery yet.

South Texas girl living in Central Texas for the last 24 years. My best friend has a deep East Texas accent. I'm going to ask her to pronounce it tomorrow!! I have to know!

So do Canadians think everyone who says pasta like......well, the way you say it when you're not saying it like "bad".... is being pretentious? Or does that rule only apply to other Canadians? Because really, we were just taught to say it that way. Basically rhymes with lost. Throw a P on to the front of "lost" and an "uh" on the end and you have it.

Is the Canadian way to just add an "a" on to "past"? PAST-uh?

Nah, I was just joshing. I've never heard a Canadian say p'o'st a...and yes, it generally sounds like PAST-uh. I might think a Canadian who said p-o-sta was 'faking' an accent to sound snooty, but I do understand that that is how it is pronounced normally in many places in the world!

South Texas girl living in Central Texas for the last 24 years. My best friend has a deep East Texas accent. I'm going to ask her to pronounce it tomorrow!! I have to know!

Don't ask her if she says Care-o or K-ro, because she will THINK about it. Just say, "What is the name of that syrup you use to make pecan pie with?" and see how she pronounces it. Then report to us. :thumbsup2

Wow another Disboard pronunciation word. I have decided that I may make 2 pies, one with one without and we can decide as a family. I will just have to send the extra pie with my daughter to give to her students (she is a TA). I just read some articles regarding the calories, and I almost fell over. For one day though, and at most 2 pieces of pie in a span of a few days I can take one for the team.::yes:::bitelip:
I was considering this, but since you volunteered, please report back! I use my aunt's tried and true recipe that calls for light karo and brown sugar. I usually double the pecans though... I also use a refrigerated, store bought crust that I put in my own pie plate and toast it for 8 to 10 minutes before adding filling. Make sure you weight the crust so it does not bubble up. I have not tried it before, but I might just toss the pecans in there and toast them too! I use pie crust shields while baking to protect the crust. I like my crust to be light and flakey on bottom. I put a generous amount of flour in the pie plate to help the crust from sticking. Okay, I changed my mind. I am going to make 2 pies. There will be 18 to 20 of us and if I bring an extra pie it wont be a terrible thing, right? =D

Just felt my blood sugar spike reading this thread. :thumbsup2

My wife's step-mom is a Pecan Pie expert. It isn't Pecan Pie without pecans or Karo syrup.

Not to hijack the thread, but on a related note, is it "Kay-row" syrup or "care-row" syrup?

They may have to close this thread, the pronunciation debate could turn this into a political thread!:rotfl2:

I'm not touching this one with a 10 ft pole!!

I've never made Pecan Pie but thought I would try this Facebook recipe:

Pecan Cobbler

Crust:
1 cup sugar
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Filling:
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup (Karo)
1 1/2 cups sugar
7--eggs, beaten
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2 tspns vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or 2 cups whole pecans

For the crust: Combine sugar, flour, milk and butter in a bowl and mix well. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

For the filling: Combine the corn syrup, sugar, eggs, better, vanilla and pecans in a bowl and mix well. Spoon over the crust batter.
Bake at 350F for 45 to 55 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is very softly set.

Don't ask her if she says Care-o or K-ro, because she will THINK about it. Just say, "What is the name of that syrup you use to make pecan pie with?" and see how she pronounces it. Then report to us. :thumbsup2

East Texas for the win! She says it's Kay-ro...

With "sweet" pies such as pecan, I try to cut down a little on the sugars and the "sweetness" and modify the recipe a little..

LOVE PECAN PIE! YUM!:thumbsup2

Good luck! Hope that it comes out GREAT!:thumbsup2:goodvibes

East Texas for the win! She says it's Kay-ro...

Mystery solved! I bet Matthew McConaughey says K-ro. Alright, alright, alright!:rotfl2:

There is a restaurant family called the Pappas. They own Pappadeaux, Pappas, etc. They serve a sweet potato pecan pie that is amazing. It is a hybrid of a sweet potato pie and a pecan pie and you can google the recipe. Try that one some time.

Wow another Disboard pronunciation word.

I have decided that I may make 2 pies, one with one without and we can decide as a family. I will just have to send the extra pie with my daughter to give to her students (she is a TA). I just read some articles regarding the calories, and I almost fell over.

For one day though, and at most 2 pieces of pie in a span of a few days I can take one for the team.::yes:::bitelip:

I highly recommend the recipe I posted earlier. Anyone who voted for Karo probably has never had this one. It is just to die for.

I highly recommend the recipe I posted earlier. Anyone who voted for Karo probably has never had this one. It is just to die for.

I will. Have all the ingredients. I will definitely let everyone know. We are only a family of three but at least the vote won't end in a tie.

Last year, we decided to make an old fashioned pecan pie, skipping the corn syrup, because of all the gmo corn, cloyingly sweet of the syrup, etc etc. We figured it was around before the advent of corn syrup, so surely there was a better way!

Along came this recipe from cook's country. It was, hands down, the best pecan pie I've ever had. My mama always makes the traditional recipe with the corn syrup, but she only uses dark brown sugar and it does taste better. I won't tell her this one is better than her's , but if you want to try an old fashioned variety, this one is a winner!

OLD FASHIONED PECAN PIE

1 cup maple syrup
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon molasses
4 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 large egg yolks , lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups toasted and chopped pecans
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell (see note), chilled in pie plate for 30 minutes

MAKE FILLING Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat sugar, syrup, cream, and molasses in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Whisk butter and salt into syrup mixture until combined. Whisk in egg yolks until incorporated.

2. BAKE PIE Scatter pecans in pie shell. Carefully pour filling over. Place pie in hot oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until filling is set and center jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 45 to 60 minutes. Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about 3 hours and up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Yum! I'm going to make this one this year. Thanks!

Yum! I'm going to make this one this year. Thanks!
I'm going to save that recipe, too!
Now, here's the thing... I have eaten pecan pie plenty of times through the years. My mom has a tendency to collect pecans and I remember filling bags of them off the ground from a couple of huge trees, as a kid. I like to eat the nuts. I'm not particularly fond of shelling them, but every pecan pie I've ever eaten was the Karo (care-oh) variety. Mom is a great cook, and everyone loves her pies, but given a choice between pecan pie and random other pie, I'll go for the other pie any day, whether it was Mom's pecan pie or someone else's. As far as I know they all used Karo, and I have nothing against Karo, but the pies just don't do much for me.
OTOH, I think almost anything made with real maple syrup is delicious! I do have a slight complication in that DH loves pecan (pu-CAHN, btw) pies, but now is celiac, so I might make it without crust, but I very much want to taste that version!

Regarding the maple syrup one...Tuesday morning and Sam's both have good prices on maple syrup. It's easy to make and sooo good. My 27 yr old son made it last year for the family and also made a 'practice' one for work. He said everyone had a fit over the pie!

My wife grew up in Texas and she is in the K-ro pronunciation club too.

Risking flames from some Canadians on this board.....it kind of reminds me of my family in Canada with the pronunciation of the words fillet and pasta. They say fill-let not fil-lay and paaa-sta not paw-sta.

Potato, pota-toe, you need the syrup to make a proper pecan pie! Oh, and by the way, take any of these recipes, substitute raisins for the pecans and add a dash of cinnamon, bake in tart shells and you've got the iconic Canadian butter tart!

In our family, the favorite Pecan Pie is from a recipe on the Grandma's Molasses bottle. It's really good!

2/3 cup Grandma's Mild Flavored Molasses
1 9-inch unbaked pastry shell
2/3 cup dark corn syrup
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup flour
1/2 stick melted butter
1 1/2 cup whole pecans or pieces

Set oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs, add other ingredients except pecans. Blend until just combined. Pour into pastry shell and sprinkle with pecans. Bake 40 minutes or until filling is puffy and the crust is golden brown.

Just made one of these tonight,

BOTH look great!:goodvibes

Not making them for this Thanksgiving, but will save them for future reference!
Sound YUMMY!:thumbsup2

Is Karo syrup the same as Golden syrup? Cus that's what I use for my pecan pie. I follow Alton Brown's recipe and everyone seems to love it.

After all this talk about making Pecan pie I made one myself last night! I used the Cat Cora recipe with Karo syrup and white chocolate chips. It is a super easy recipe to make. I had never made Pecan pie before!

It turned out great, but is super super sweet. I only had a very small piece and I couldn't finish it. I put the rest of the pie in the freezer until Thursday morning. My plan is to cut the pie in 1-inch squares and put the tiny pieces in mini cupcake cups, then on a plate. That way, guests can try just a small piece and save room for the pumpkin pie and coconut creme dessert that is served traditionally at our Thanksgiving dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter