Pearl Harbor questions for Aulani folks...

shortypots

DIS Veteran
I had originally posted this on the trip reports page, but didn't get any responses...

My mom and I are going to Aulani in April (very excited!) and are going to Pearl Harbor/USS AZ. We got tickets on May 1 for 8:15am, so was wondering if I am actually going to have time to do the audio tour before it or not? Also, how do I get to the USS Missouri after it?

I did not do the audio tour so I'm I don't know how long it is. I guess it depends as to what time you get there versus what time they open. Is your 8:15 time the first of the day? Perhaps you can do it afterwards? If I remember correctly, there is a shuttle to take you to the USS Missouri.

Do the audio tour after the Arizona you will get to see a short film before departure in a navy skiff. The shuttle for the Missouri is in the direction of the submarine Uss Bowfin. Take your time enjoy the day take in all the sights,DON'T RUSH THRU!

You may have time to do a little bit but most likely you'll just have to do all of it afterwards.

I didn't realize we could do the audio tour after. That's cool. What time should I leave from Aulani to get there by 7:45 to give us a little time before the boat ride to the AZ?

Booking an early morning tour in advance was disadvantageous to us. We arrived early as instructed and found those who did not have a reservation were going out immediately on a tour. We did go out on an earlier tour, but only after waiting 15 minutes or so for someone to come and change our tour time in the system. This was when making reservations for the tour was new - so the process might have changed.

They ask that you arrive one hour ahead of you boat time to pick up your tickets that you reserved online, so for a 8:15 reservation that means 7:15 am. That should give you plenty of time to see and hear most of the audio tour before you catch your 8:15 boat to go out the the Arizona and then you can finish up whatever you didnt get to when you get back.

pearlharborwebsite said:
Tickets must be picked up one hour prior to your tour. Unclaimed tickets will be reissued.

Since its a weekday I would allow about an hour to get there in traffic and park in the morning, so you should try to leave Aulani around 6:15 am.

The Pearl Harbor ticket website has details on how it works here:
http://www.recreation.gov/tourParkDetail.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72369

Something must have changed, because whenever we've gone to the Arizona Memorial we didn't book it ahead of time. We just showed up (pretty early) and gotten a ticket. Last time, though, the kids and I didn't get there quite as early as I would have liked. Our time was about 3 1/2 hours later. We took our time and did the audio tour of the submarine (very cool - the kids loved it) and spent a lot of time in the museum before our time slot. I think we got a drink or something too (it was warm in the sun).

Definitely go as early as you can! And yes, the traffic in the morning is very heavy, so do allow at least an hour drive time.

If you have an early time reserved, then do the audio tour afterwards.

Something must have changed, because whenever we've gone to the Arizona Memorial we didn't book it ahead of time. We just showed up (pretty early) and gotten a ticket. Last time, though, the kids and I didn't get there quite as early as I would have liked. Our time was about 3 1/2 hours later. We took our time and did the audio tour of the submarine (very cool - the kids loved it) and spent a lot of time in the museum before our time slot. I think we got a drink or something too (it was warm in the sun).

Definitely go as early as you can! And yes, the traffic in the morning is very heavy, so do allow at least an hour drive time.

If you have an early time reserved, then do the audio tour afterwards.

Yes, something has changed as of 2012.... you can now book your boat ticket online in advance.... check out the website link I posted above. That will take you to the new reservation page.

Just booked the 75 minute Arizona Memorial Tour!:cool1::cool1:

We booked for 9:30AM on a Sunday morning!
Right on the confirmation, it states you must pick up tickets 1 hour in advance!

So, to be there by about 8:20 on a SUNDAY MORNING, any suggestions
on when to leave Aulani?

Planning to do Waikiki beaches and maybe a lunch/brunch at Dukes!!!!!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE LINK! VERY EASY!

YAY!!!!! GETTING CLOSER!! :cool1::):banana:

Jerseygal- For a weekday I would recommend to allow about an hour for travel time, but since you are going on a Sunday it will probably only take about 30 minutes or so. I would plan to try and leave Aulani at around 7:50 ish.

Love the idea to do Dukes for brunch afterwards. I have heard great things about their brunch.

We went to Sunday brunch at a "popular with the locals" brunch spot in Honolulu called Sweet E's.... the stuffed french toast was super yum!! But it does not have the amazing beach views of Duke's.

We have tickets for the Arizona on Saturday in June at 2:30 pm. We'll have to pick up the tickets at 1:30. How long do the other museums and stuff take to get through. If we show up earlier, is there enough time to get everything in before the Arizona and then we can leave after that.

We don't plan on doing any submarines, because of the heat. My DH can still change his mind on this though.

We managed to get through the first 2 museum areas in the hour before our boat tour (there is one area that is setting the background pre-attack and then a second area that is all about the day of the attack) We did the audio tour (which we really liked and could go at our own pace) and really did not feel rushed before going out on the boat to the Arizona. Once back we spent around 20 more minutes on the rest of the audio tour and then we were done.

We did not do the Bowfin or the Missouri.... next time! :)

I know that Dukes is in the Outrigger Wakiki Hotel and I believe that I have read there is parking for $5 at Waikiki Shopping Center on Sunday till 5:00 PM...

Where is the Parking at Waikiki Shopping Center in relation to the Outrigger?

As ALWAYS, these travel tips are SO APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!:):cool1::)

We managed to get through the first 2 museum areas in the hour before our boat tour (there is one area that is setting the background pre-attack and then a second area that is all about the day of the attack) We did the audio tour (which we really liked and could go at our own pace) and really did not feel rushed before going out on the boat to the Arizona. Once back we spent around 20 more minutes on the rest of the audio tour and then we were done.

We did not do the Bowfin or the Missouri.... next time! :)

This was our experience as well

I always try to do Pearl Harbor early in the day, and have suggested to others to try to be on the Memorial around 8-ish. That way you are roughly there the time the attack happened and can appreciate it a bit more. FYI: Just be sure you don't leave anything valuable in your car--thefts are notorious in this area.

We just did the 9:30 tour of the USS Az last week( booked it in January). It turned out to be the perfect time for us. We got there about 8:20. We left our hotel in Waikiki at 7:40 and were really worried we wouldn't make it in time to pick up our tickets but we did. We did most of the audio tour before our tour time and then finished up when we returned. By the time we did that it was getting hot and we were hungry and tired so we decided not to do the Bowfin or Missouri.

It's a real rascal trying to get my kids out of bed early and it ended up perfectly as we all seemed to wake up about 6:30. Then again, we only had a 3 hour time change. I know many of you are dealing with 4-6 hour time change.

If I leave Aulani at 6:30, will I make it to the Memorial by 7:15? Trying to plan this out. We have a late night the night before with the PCC and the show, so don't want to get up too early.

This August, we are staying in a hotel in Waikiki the first night before we head to Aulani. I have a reservation for the USS Arizona at 8:15 the day we checkout of the Waikiki hotel. I realize now that I need to leave our bags at the hotel, therefore we will need to drive back to Waikiki. My concern is back tracking and getting stuck in traffic. I'm wondering if I should make a reservation on a different day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter