• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Peanut/Tree nut allergies n planes

I have flown with an epipen more times than I can count, and never had a problem, and never even been asked about it. I do NOT bring a note, but I make sure that I either have the box with the prescription label, or I started having the pharmacy put the label right on the tube itself. Medical liquids do not count against your carry-on liquid allowance, but the TSA (on their website) wants you to put them in a separate clear bag).

Mary

Ditto for my daughter..... never needed a note.... but the epipen needs a prescription label with your name on it.

The prescription IS the doctor's note. It has his name, the name of the person traveling, and the darned fact that he prescribed it says that the person needs it.

The prescription IS the doctor's note. It has his name, the name of the person traveling, and the darned fact that he prescribed it says that the person needs it.
I agree with you totally but remember that there probably is someone out there working for them who does not agree with you. It is better to get the note than end up with some jerk who demands proof and ruins your vacation.

We take our epi-pens on the plane with no issues for our last two trips. It went through the scanner in my carry on and no one even questioned it. A few times I would tell them that there is an epi pen set in the case but they never even took it out to look at it. My mom on the other hand got the full treatment because she has replacement knees. She got a body scan everytime she went through security!

"This is where the need for a doctor's note comes into play. That is why you should carry a doctor's note with you stating your condition and needs. Also it costs nothing to get that letter usually and takes up little space in your life. Technically they can ask for proof which would be a doctor's note."

Not always true. My son's doctors office now started charging for signatures! It cost me $15 to get a FAAN form signed for his school!

Just wanted to update, the allergist finally called back today and said they would fax the letter over. Last night I found the letter from last year just in case I would need it haha. Thanks everyone!

Just wanted to update, the allergist finally called back today and said they would fax the letter over. Last night I found the letter from last year just in case I would need it haha. Thanks everyone!

Now you can head nice, calm and relaxed into the hectic world is Disney. ;)

I hope you have a great vacation.

I fly all around the world, (including around the USA) with my epipens in my bag. Not once have I ever been stopped about my epipens and we travel quite a bit. However I do carry a letter from my allergist that says that I do need the epipens just in case.

It's great that you have the letter now, as they don't expire so you can keep it now for next time. Have a great trip.

We have traveled many times by plane with DH's epipen and never needed a note. We leave it in the box with the label that has his name on it, but that is all.

I am glad that you got this sorted. I know that plenty of people take Epipens or syringes on board and never get asked about documentation, but it just needs somebody to be new on the job and playing things by the book or somebody having a bad day and you have a huge problem on your hands. The rule is there, but from what I read on here it is not widely enforced.

This is like that with a lot of rules. I think we all know about the 3 oz rule or less in a clear sealable bag for liquids in the carry on. I don't think any of us would ever knowingly break that rule. As I said before I work for an airline. I started out as a reservations agent in 2006 and got promoted to a supervisor role nearly a year ago. I know the rules and could recite them in the middle of the night after having been woken up from deep sleep. I seem to spend half my working life explaining this to customers. Fast forward last September. We had been on the vacation of a life time, which included 4 different hotels and two cruise ships. On the flight out I had used a backpack as my carry on, but while we were travelling around, I switched my carry on to an overnight bag that I had checked in on the flight. When the sad day came to fly back to the UK, I switched carry ons again as the backpack fits in the overhead lockers better. DH did the last checks if we had left anything behind and put a nice big bottle of sunscreen in the backpack without my knowledge, thinking that I would check this in. We don't put any liquids at all in our carry ons, not even what we would be allowed. He did not remember by the time we got to the airport, where he had put the sunscreen and therefore did not say anything. We cleared security with no problems, boarded the plane, arrived back home and went to sleep. The next day when I unpacked, I found the large bottle of sunscreen in my carry on. I was mortified. Now, does the fact that I was not challenged about the large bottle of sunscreen in my carry on mean that the rule does no longer apply? Not at all. Was I (even without my knowledge) breaking the rules? Absolutely. Would they have been within their perfect right to confiscate the bottle if it had been spotted? Oh yes.

Now in my case it would not have mattered. Yes, it would have annoyed me to lose a bottle of sunscreen that was still more than half full, but I would have only had my self to blame (or in that case DH). It would however not have been the end of the world. Having your Epipen confiscated, because somebody does decide to enforce the rules and you cannot provide the necessary documentation, is an entirely different ball game.

Also, just because you have a prescription does not necessarily mean that you have a medical need. They might be stricter with this in the USA, but here in the UK if you lean on the doctor hard enough and are willing to pay for the prescription, then they will write you one as long as it is not illegal. Before I started to work for an airline, I was an elementary school teacher. We had a cupboard full with Epipens in our nurses' office. We also had only three children with a diagnosis of an allergy that would warrant an Epipen (two nuts, one shell fish) out of over 300 children. As it is virtually impossible to get tested for an allergy unless you already had a severe allergic reaction (and even then the waiting list is long and it can take months before you get seen) in the UK, doctors do prescribe Epipens as a precaution. If you have a family history of allergies (and not only potentially life threatening ones), then chances are you are either offered an Epipen or provided with a prescription if you ask for it.

Corinna

We travel with 3 epi-pens for teh past 2 years (to the USA and overseas) and I always have a note but nobody has ever asked me for one!

We always travel with 4 epi pens

ds is allergic to bees, and dd is allergic to pnut and tnuts. I have never been asked for a note. If you can't reach your allergist and you want to be on the safe side, i'm sure a regular ped. could write you a valid note.

hope that helps a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter