PCC 5.0 - Shore Excursions

brer_rabbit

Mouseketeer
Hi all

I've seen people start to talk about their shore excursions on a couple of other threads so thought I'd start a thread where people could say what they've booked. It will hopefully help those who've already booked find out if any other DISers are on the same excursion and might give some ideas to those who have yet to decide :goodvibes

So I'll start it off:

Cozumel
Cozumel Highlights, Ruins and Discover Mexico Cultural Park — Adult Only Departure

Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman Island Tour — Adult Only Departure

Falmouth, Jamaica
Green Grotto Caves with Lunch

Cozumel - Visiting MEGA :yay:

Grand Cayman - Shopping in Downtown :thumbsup2

Jamaica - Not leaving the secure area. :scared:

Here is what we have so far:

Cozumel: Cozumel HIghlights, Ruins, tequila Discover Mexico Cultural Park - all ages departure

Grand Cayman: Grand Cayman Island Tour -all ages departure

Falmouth: Nothing planned yet, may just stay at Port

Cheers!

Cozumel - Visiting MEGA :yay:

Grand Cayman - Shopping in Downtown :thumbsup2

Jamaica - Not leaving the secure area. :scared:

:thumbsup2 Almost forgot about MEGA. Road cut-outs were really non-existant, so taking DS there was a chore. But nice, once we got there.

Not even going ashore at GC. Haven't been to Falmouth, but like you, not leaving main area.

I'm cruising for the company, not for the itinerary.

These are ours:

Cozumel- Tequila Tasting Tour (at Discover Mexico Cultural Park)
** We've done this before and I highly recommend it**

Grand Cayman- just shopping in the port area, then a spa day for me!

Falmouth- nothing excited us, but we thought we should get off anyway. We are doing the High Tea at Good Hope Estate.

I'm looking for advice from experienced cruisers. This is my first cruise and my first time visiting these places. And I'm a solo traveller. Do you think I should book a shore excursion at each port, or just explore? And is it safe to explore alone? Someone mentioned a "safe zone". What is that and does each port have one? Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for advice from experienced cruisers. This is my first cruise and my first time visiting these places. And I'm a solo traveller. Do you think I should book a shore excursion at each port, or just explore? And is it safe to explore alone? Someone mentioned a "safe zone". What is that and does each port have one? Thanks in advance.

If you do not go on the official cruise line tours, then I would recommend going ashore with others and not stray from the main tourist area.

Each port has a "secure" area where only cruise line passengers and authorized people are allowed. The "secure" area in Jamaica has a mall type atmosphere with shops and restaurants.

On your own.....
An organized tour [either DCL or non-cruise]. Shop in port areas. Do not go off by yourself. Make friends and hang with them.
First cruise, we went on cruise-line tours, shopped at stores in port area, went with a group of people [safety in numbers].

As we got more comfortable cruising, we did non-cruise tours or got a taxi and did our own tour. Now, we wander off on our own if it's somewhere we've been before.

This is my first solo cruise too! I've booked my excursions with DCL so that I'm not on my own and all I have to worry about is enjoying the tour!

One of the things I'm looking forward to most on the podcast cruise is that there will be lots of people to hang out with both on and off the ship :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the replies. I was unsure because I had read in other places to be careful to not over book.

Well, brer-rabbit, it looks like we'll be on the Cozumel tour together. I decided to do the dolphin + turtle encounter on Grand Cayman, and I couldn't resist the Bobsled + Dunn's River Falls on Jamaica. I thought that the chairlift up to the top might have a nice view.

After looking at DCL offered for shore excursions, I wanted to do something a little different. After reading a thread on Cruise Critic about excursions in Falmouth, someone mentioned taking a food tour.

So we booked food tours in each of the ports:

Cozumel - Cozumel Chef Food Tour
Grand Cayman - Cayman Food Tour
Falmouth - Falmouth Food Tour

Looking forward to this!

Well, brer-rabbit, it looks like we'll be on the Cozumel tour together. I decided to do the dolphin + turtle encounter on Grand Cayman, and I couldn't resist the Bobsled + Dunn's River Falls on Jamaica. I thought that the chairlift up to the top might have a nice view.

Yay - looking forward to meeting you :goodvibes

We booked:

Cozumel: Three reef snorkeling
Grand Cayman: Family beach day at Tiki beach
Falmouth: Chukka Zipline & River Tubing

Woohoo! Booked excursions and Palo for one night. This is my first cruise, and so excited!

Cozumel
Cozumel Highlights, Ruins and Discover Mexico - Adult Only

Grand Cayman
Atlantis Submarine Expedition

Jamaica
Green Grotto Caves with Lunch

See you there, Rob! :wave2:

EasyD

This is my first solo cruise too! I've booked my excursions with DCL so that I'm not on my own and all I have to worry about is enjoying the tour!

One of the things I'm looking forward to most on the podcast cruise is that there will be lots of people to hang out with both on and off the ship :thumbsup2

Another first time solo cruiser here! :wave2: I had no idea what to book so I only picked 2 ports for excursions...

Cozumel - Salsa and Salsa (it was the unlimited margaritas that got me!)
Jamaica - Art studio tour (thought it would be fun to make something while there)

Lots of us on the Cozumel tour. Looking forward to meeting you all. Hopefully we'll run into you, too, Lindaland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!