PC vs. Miami ports

khsu

Earning My Ears
I am looking at the newly released 2014 cruises for spring cruise. I am curious if anyone has comments between sailing out of PC vs. Miami. We are flying from Boston so I suspect airfares will be similar. Is one port easier logistically? Thanks, Karen

PC has all the familiarity with DCL--their spot, their system, etc. And DCL seems to operate a transfer system that is basically the same at each port they use. On the other hand, Miami seems to have more hotels near the terminal area that offer free shuttles to the terminal for those of us who like to fly in the night before.

I'd base it on where I wanted to go on my cruise, airfare costs (on a Thanksgiving trip, we saw $400 per person difference among 3 airports each within 2 hours of the other on the same airline!) and just what works best for you! Of course, for 2014, we don't have a clue on airfare.

We have sailed other cruise lines out of both PC and Miami. Advantages to Miami include proximity between airport, hotels, and ports, with lots of transportation options. In fact, it's easy to fly into FLL, get hotel shuttle from airport night before, then shuttle to Port of Miami. You can price flights to both Miami and FLL if you're sailing out of POM. So, lots and lots of transpo options. Miami airport and cruise port are both kind of a zoo, though, and there's so much hustle and bustle that it's kind of annoying to navigate with kids, IMO.

PC is 45-60 minutes from MCO airport. You can rent a car one-way in each direction for less than Disney transfers usually, if you have 3 or more people in your party, and there are other shuttle/limo services. However, it's just generally a bit more of a hassle/expensive to get yourself from MCO to PC, requires more planning and advanced reservations for ground transportation. However, flights into MCO are cheap for us, and it seems like a more family-friendly airport, given that Orlando is such a family destination. I think both the airport and cruise port are more serene than in Miami. I liked the total experience in PC better than Miami, even though handling the rental car was a bit of a pain.

As stated, Port Canaveral is extremely smooth at the port, but farther from the airport. Frankly, your port experience will total perhaps 4 hours of your trip, including embarkation and debarkation. I suggest you choose based on itinerary, price, airfare, and what ship you want to try.

Thanks for everyone's input. We are trying to decide between the 4/20/2014 4-night itinerary ($480 per person) PC, Nassau, CC, at sea on the Dream.

vs.

4-night intinerary ($352 per person) leaving 4/23 - Miami, CC, Nassau, Key West on Wonder.

Essentially the same plan (except Key West vs. at sea). I suspect the first one is more $$ due to newer boat.

Won't know airfare yet. Not crazy about the hassle coming in and out PC, but I suspect with even the higher price tag, we will prefer the Dream over the Wonder, and being at sea vs. Key West.

Thanks.

khsu said:
Thanks for everyone's input. We are trying to decide between the 4/20/2014 4-night itinerary ($480 per person) PC, Nassau, CC, at sea on the Dream.

vs.

4-night intinerary ($352 per person) leaving 4/23 - Miami, CC, Nassau, Key West on Wonder.

Essentially the same plan (except Key West vs. at sea). I suspect the first one is more $$ due to newer boat.

Won't know airfare yet. Not crazy about the hassle coming in and out PC, but I suspect with even the higher price tag, we will prefer the Dream over the Wonder, and being at sea vs. Key West.

Thanks.

I'd take the Wonder (love the classic ships & Key West) and treat Nassau as my sea day & save money. JMHO!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I would choose Miami. I always fly into FLL to go on cruises out of FLL or MiA. I avoid Orlando Airport at all cost unless going to Disney. We used a car service for the 50min drive.
I second staying on ship in Nassau. It will be perfect to enjoy when empty. Also the kids club was open too.

I would avoid MIA airport if an option. I'm guessing that you might have better flight options there since both are good AA cities. Flying in is fine but out as PP noted, it is indeed a zoo! Not cruise related but it took me two hours from landing, through customs, luggage drop off, and security. That place is one of the most disorganized airports, and it always has been for me. That is not one to cut disembark and flight times close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter