• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PC shuttle from car rental company to the port...

onemaybaby

Mouseketeer
I am wondering if we fly into MCO a day or two before our scheduled cruise, what transportation would look like. I would like to have a rental car so that I am able to pick up a few things and not be under restrictions, however I was not sure how that would look in: rent car at MCO, drive to PC stay in hotel, drop car off at rental agency and then what? how to get to the port?

I've searched the boards and all I see is that you can take a shuttle from the car rental agency to the Port. Do all companies offer this service? Is it reliable? Frustration free? I usually book my car rentals through hotwire, so I don't always know the company before hand.

I don't know how much help I'll be, but we're going to do the same thing. We're getting to DW a few days early to do some shopping and resort hopping. We've scheduled a rental car from Budget, coupon code U31128 save you 35%, and we're going to return the car at PC and take their shuttle.

We leave next week so I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Havok said:
I don't know how much help I'll be, but we're going to do the same thing. We're getting to DW a few days early to do some shopping and resort hopping. We've scheduled a rental car from Budget, coupon code U31128 save you 35%, and we're going to return the car at PC and take their shuttle.

We leave next week so I'll let you know how it goes. :)

If you're not strictly loyal to Budget, my corp rate for a Hertz one way, one day from Orlando airport to Cape Canaveral comes in almost $35 cheaper for a minivan (base rate before taxes, insurance, etc). With taxes, LDW and a booster seat, Budget with that code is $157.64. Hertz same options, same date is costing me $109.37. Send me a PM if you want the code.

I am wondering if we fly into MCO a day or two before our scheduled cruise, what transportation would look like. I would like to have a rental car so that I am able to pick up a few things and not be under restrictions, however I was not sure how that would look in: rent car at MCO, drive to PC stay in hotel, drop car off at rental agency and then what? how to get to the port?

I've searched the boards and all I see is that you can take a shuttle from the car rental agency to the Port. Do all companies offer this service? Is it reliable? Frustration free? I usually book my car rentals through hotwire, so I don't always know the company before hand.

Check Hotwire's rules, not sure if you can book a one-way car rental on there. I know when I used Priceline before I could not book a one-way rental, it had to be round trip.

In the FAQ sticky at the top of the boards you will find info on car rental agencies.

All the Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach car rental companies offer a complimentary shuttle to/from the cruise terminal. Discount codes are available at rentalcodes.com and mousesavers.com

You have 2 options--drop the family and luggage at the port and then return the car. Shuttle just the driver back to the port. OR keep the gang together and take everyone to return the car and shuttle to the port. It's about the same deal either way, but you can almost always get one person/no luggage onto the shuttle. Having seats for the family can sometimes mean waiting for the next shuttle....which will be 15 or 20 minutes.

Hotwire rentals must be rented and returned to the same location (I think), so that won't work unless you want to pay for the car while you are cruising.

Thanks for the information, kcashner. I don't rent cars often, and although I knew about mousesavers, I hadn't heard of rentalcodes.com. The info on shuttle use was also great--first cruise for us, and we'll be renting one way, MCO to Port Canaveral.

Even after you book, check codes again at 60-30 days before cruising. New codes are sometimes released which can decrease your costs. I usually pay $30-$45 for a full sized car including all taxes and fees. On two occasions we needed a mini-van. One trip was $34 (yup, great code!) and the other direction was $93. These were one week apart, but one was May and the other June...and the code made all the difference.

If you find a lower code rate, you can rebook at the lower rate and cancel the original. Remember that you'll need to figure a bit for gas and tolls. And, there is a RaceTrac gas station on Astronaut Drive right before the Budget place. Great place to gas up regardless of which company you rented from. Also, sign up for the loyalty program of whichever company you use--it will save time at MCO.

Even after you book, check codes again at 60-30 days before cruising. New codes are sometimes released which can decrease your costs. I usually pay $30-$45 for a full sized car including all taxes and fees. On two occasions we needed a mini-van. One trip was $34 (yup, great code!) and the other direction was $93. These were one week apart, but one was May and the other June...and the code made all the difference.

If you find a lower code rate, you can rebook at the lower rate and cancel the original. Remember that you'll need to figure a bit for gas and tolls. And, there is a RaceTrac gas station on Astronaut Drive right before the Budget place. Great place to gas up regardless of which company you rented from. Also, sign up for the loyalty program of whichever company you use--it will save time at MCO.

:thumbsup2 Yes, this! I think we changed our car rental 3 times last winter because a better deal kept coming out. Some rental agencies may charge a 1-way fee in addition to the daily rental fee, so watch the fine print. We got a fantastic rate last winter from Thrifty and it included the tolls pass, all for $25 (probably $35 once taxes and MCO fees added) if I recall. Just keep checking the car rental sites and other boards that post codes.

Enjoy your cruise!

All the Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach car rental companies offer a complimentary shuttle to/from the cruise terminal. Discount codes are available at rentalcodes.com and mousesavers.com

You have 2 options--drop the family and luggage at the port and then return the car. Shuttle just the driver back to the port. OR keep the gang together and take everyone to return the car and shuttle to the port. It's about the same deal either way, but you can almost always get one person/no luggage onto the shuttle. Having seats for the family can sometimes mean waiting for the next shuttle....which will be 15 or 20 minutes.

Hotwire rentals must be rented and returned to the same location (I think), so that won't work unless you want to pay for the car while you are cruising.
This is what we have done twice, and will do it a third time this February. We rent from Avis because we get gift cards thru our credit card points. We do a one way rental and use a code found thru Mousesavers dot com. Hubby drops us and the luggage off at the ship, and while he is running the car back we get checked in, so all he has to do is go thru security when he returns via the shuttle. Piece of cake! When we get off the ship we shuttle to Avis to pick up a car and do another one-way rental. Family members are currenty on a 4-night Dream cruise as part of their 7 night vacation. They did find that a one week rental and parking at the Port was cheaper than one way rentals, so it all depends on your itinerary. Hope this helps!

PM me. I will give you both Avis and Hertz discount codes that are much better than Hotwire. If you use Hertz stay at the Residence Inn or Country Inn and Suites. The Hertz return is right out front. If you use Avis, you'll have to drive down the road a bit from the hotels, but I don't mind. Plus side to Hertz, drop off right in front off hotels. Downside, you have to take a shuttle from the airport to Hertz. Plus side for Avis, you walk outside the doors of MCO and there is Avis. Downside, you have to travel down the road a bit to drop of the car. Up to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter