PBH vs HRH? Which one to choose?

tstidm1

DIS Veteran
Both HRH and PBH are the same price under AP rate for the March 12-15 trip. I have seen them both online and they have similar advantages/disadvantages. I am doing a solo trip and am aware of the EP and EPA both provide. My challenge is figuring out which one I think would like most.

Hard Rock is a 5 minute walk to Universal Studios/Citywalk, 10 to the IoA entrance. Portofino is farther, 15-20 minutes walk according to Google Maps. I have stayed at HRH and loved the location and feeling like I was in the middle of the action. Portofino looks like it has more of a relaxed getaway vibe, so I'm looking forward to trying it out in May.

Personally since I would be less comfortable walking up to a mile alone in the dark after park close, and also wouldn't want to wait in line for the boat on a weekend during Spring Break season, I would probably pick Hard Rock in your situation.

We stayed at HRH over Thanksgiving and just got back from PBH yesterday. Since we are a family of 4, the extra room in PBH is nice. We really like the feel of PBH over all of the other resorts, but the very short walk from HRH is nice when the boat lines back up. I'd second the recommendation of HRH.

I think it just depends on what's important to you. For us, convenience is the highest priority so we prefer HRH for this reason. We never have to use the water taxi while there. You can walk from PBH, but its a considerably longer walk which includes walking the whole length of HRH as well.

If atmosphere/beautiful grounds is most important to you, they both are very pretty, but PBH would win this one for me. The look and feel of the resort has a lot of attention to detail and you really feel like you're in Europe. HRH has the hard rock theme of course, but the décor and atmosphere is more generic by comparison.

The other difference that sticks out to me is that HRH is more laidback and casual feeling. The service is still top notch, but seeing bell staff and other staff in short sleeves with visible tattoos, talking to you like a buddy but in a respectful/good service type of way is a really unique dynamic. Makes us feel comfortable there, as opposed to typical resort where staff can sometimes seem like robots. PBH definitely has a more traditional luxury type of feel, if that is your preference. PBH also seems more family oriented, whereas HRH has always felt like more adults are around and the pool atmosphere seemed to be more adult oriented (still family friendly, of course).

We have never stayed at any of the Universal Resorts but originally booked RP. I switched to PB because we won't get to Italy this year due to COVID and I just loved the theming! We arrive in May. They all look really nice so I don't think you will go wrong, whatever your choice. Enjoy!

You can’t make a wrong decision lol.

My advice just parrots what pp’s have said.
If being able to walk to both parks is important then choose HR.
If you consider the daily boat ride a plus then choose PBH.

Personally I like the theming better at PBH. But it is a long walk to the parks.

Resort guest makeup & atmosphere of a resort can differ day to day, my experience

HRH goes for cool/hipster vibe, nothing in your face. Our current favorite, mostly as it’s an easy walk to the parks & typically less kiddos running the pool area.

PBH is more elegant and quiet, unless a convention is there. Staff was always trained well there although there have been some detrimental reviews here after they re-opened. Might want to check those out on both resorts.

PBH always seemed to have less kids milling about, other than the feature pool and the Bay Area...which could be just by-product of of non-guests in the evening hours to catch the opera singer when that was a thing.

I have done both solo. The easy walk to/from HRH is convenient. I almost always took the boat to/from PBH and never felt the waits were bad. I enjoy the grounds and environment at PBH more. I LOVE the Villa Pool at PBH, generally less crowded, beautiful place to relax, the bar servers came up from the other pool (love the fresh fruit plate).

I booked PBH for our spring break trip because it was the only APH rate left for my dates. Would have much preferred Hard Rock for distance.

So, an APH rate for Hard Rock just popped up for our dates and I grabbed it. So I'm temporarily holding both Hard Rock and Portofino. Rate is nearly identical (within $5/night.) What would you keep for a family of 4 (kids age 10 and 13) on their first trip to Universal? Its a 3 day/2 night trip.

I'm leaning towards Hard Rock, does anyone disagree?

So, an APH rate for Hard Rock just popped up for our dates and I grabbed it. So I'm temporarily holding both Hard Rock and Portofino. Rate is nearly identical (within $5/night.) What would you keep for a family of 4 (kids age 10 and 13) on their first trip to Universal? Its a 3 day/2 night trip.

I'm leaning towards Hard Rock, does anyone disagree?
For a shorter trip & with kids of that age, I'd pick Hard Rock 👍!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter