Paying to upgrade at the port questions..HELP!

AmberDaClown

DIS Veteran
We are in one of the recategorized/formerly 5/6 staterooms now as a 7 because the verandah is partially obstructed. We just made final payment today (YAY) but I looked online to see and Cat 4-6 are still available on our cruise date. I was wondering what are the chances and how much it might be to upgrade to a cat 4 on sail date?

To my DH, it makes no sense to upgrade to a 5 or 6 because all we would get is an unobstructed view, but the extra space of a 4 might be nice. Heck a 3 might even be nicer, but I doubt any are available.

If there is a 4 available, I wonder what the difference in price would be. AS of now it would be $1500 more.

(On a side note, the price of our stateroom has only risen by $192 since we first booked it many many many months ago)

Not sure about the upgrade process, but I have to agree with your DH on the 5/6 upgrade. We stayed in 6634 last year, and the obstruction was very minimal (IMHO). As a matter of fact, we have booked the same room for 2008. The Deck 7 rooms do have a larger obstruction, but still not enough to change to a 5/6, IMHO.

Now, going to a Cat 4, that is another story altogether! ;)

Hope you enjoy!

Does anyone know how much it might cost to upgrade at the pier from a 7 to a 4 or even higher?

First, there may be no upgrades available at the port. DCL likes to sail as full as possible, and it is very common to have nothing available. IF it is available, in my experience the cost of upgrading at the port was about 1/2 of what the upgrade would have cost us in advance.

Please do not plan on an upgrade at the port--most likely it will not be available. Book a cabin where you will be happy. The space difference between a 4 and a 6 is not huge...but it might be worth it to you.

The procedure is to check in. Then proceed to the supervisor's desk and ask if there are upgrades available. If there are, she will check her list and show you the prices. You pay for it there, and they can't take rewards points. It has to be a regular credit card, cash, or traveller's cheque.

Again, book a cabin where you will be happy. Do not count on an upgrade--either free or paid.

We already booked the stateroom we would be most happy, I was just thinking as they still show available for purchase that it might be nice to upgrade at the port and treat ourselves. Thank you for your information.

We even found out there are a couple of 3's available on our cruise as well.

Be careful - those suites will spoil you for anything else! Although there are only 2 of us, we really value our space and will be in our second category 3 in December. Not that the category 6 was crowded, but there was so much more space in the cat. 3.

We already booked the stateroom we would be most happy, I was just thinking as they still show available for purchase that it might be nice to upgrade at the port and treat ourselves. Thank you for your information.

Would you mind me asking which cruise this is? I keep contemplating a concierge cruise, but I figured they were all booked a year out!

Thanks in advance!
Brandie

I just checked and our sailing still has availability and only three weeks left:hourglass , so I am hoping for either one of two things...pixie dustpixiedust: ...or paying for an upgrade if it is not too much...I would LOVE a verandah!!! It would make the cruise perfect! I have never stayed in a room with one before!:wish165

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter