Paying Out Of Pocket? Bank For Your Buck Meal?

PrinceOfPeace

Mouseketeer
This time around I'm paying out of pocket....so wondering....those of you who are awesome with money....what do you recommend to eat that is 'bank for your buck'?

Snack?
Quick Service?
Table Service?

....sorry for all the posts...:oops::hippie:

We are usually on a dining plan but have paid out of pocket on some short trips. I think the Plaza is a great bang for your buck. Its right in the MK and has delicious food for reasonable prices.

We love The Plaza Restaurant and always pay OOP for it since the prices aren't bad at all. I also like places like Kona and Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast and pay OOP for those also. For QS, almost anything since they are all somewhat similar as far as prices go.. We love Columbia Harbor House, Flame Tree BBQ at AK and Sunshine Seasons at Epcot!

Kona Cafe at the Polynesian, Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club, Grand Floridian Cafe. Be our Guest has some reasonable menu items considering the venue and the location. The signature restaurants ( Citricos, Jiko, Flying fish) can be reasonable if you get an appetizer, share an entree and a dessert. The quality and selection is good and We have never left hungry.

For counter service Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney is cheap and really good. The Contemporary, Polynesian and Animal Kingdom Lodge all have good counter service locations. In the parks we like Columbia Harbor house at MK, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot, Yak and Yeti at Animal Kingdom. None of these are cheap but considering the captive audience they are reasonable and the quality was good.

I second other people mentioning Kona Cafe and Grand Floridian Cafe, as well as Columbia Harbor House, Sunshine Seasons, Flame Tree BBQ, Earl of Sandwich are all good. I'll also add Boma at AKL, Via Napoli in Epcot, and Trails End at Fort Wilderness. I will disagree with 50's Prime Time Cafe based on my most recent visit.

In general, if you want bang for your buck at Table Service, do sit-downs at breakfast and lunch instead of dinner.

For QS, they have a chicken and ribs combo at Cosmic Rays at MK. It's absolutely huge and can easily be split between two people. I believe it's around $20 so for two people, it's cheap. Also Via Napoli in Italy at Epcot. Their pizzas are huge and when divided up, it comes out pretty cheapish between people.

EPCOT

Boulangerie Patisserie: Croissant Jambon Fromage
- ham, cheese and bechamel in a croissant $4.75
Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe: School Bread- sweet cardamom bun filled with vanilla creme custard and topped with glazed and toasted coconut $2.99
Cantina de San Angel: Nachos - tortilla chips with ground beef, nacho cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos, black beans, and sour cream $10.50 Enough to split between 2. :)

DISNEY'S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

Toy Story Pizza Planet: For Children Ages 3-9 Cheese Pizza - includes applesauce, carrot sticks and choice of small lowfat milk or small bottled water. $5.99 We are not children but, get this to eat anyway. The adult pizzas come with a Caesar salad (which we don't eat) and that price range is from $9.19 - $9.69. We usually get the kids pizza, chocolate chip cookie or grapes and a soda (which you can get instead of the other things listed). For almost half the price, you can't beat it.

Starring Rolls Cafe: Ham Sandwich - with chips or fresh fruit $10.49 The sandwich is huge and therefore big enough to share. They also have turkey if that is your preference.

ANIMAL KINGDOM

Flame Tree BBQ: 1/2 Slab of St. Louis Ribs -
served with baked beans and coleslaw $12.99 or Ribs and Chicken Combo - served with baked beans and coleslaw $16.19 Both of these have plenty of food to share. Ohhhh so good!

MAGIC KINGDOM

Sleepy Hollow: They have lots of stuff cheap and good. Everything from funnel cake to waffle sandwiches and nothing is more than $7.49.

As I am sure you noticed, this includes no TS. Just keep in mind that TS at a lot of places is cheaper at lunch than dinner. Good luck and enjoy!

Pretty much everything that's not a fixed price meal. Avoid buffets and order what you want, and you'll come out ahead.

I get a lot out of my dinners at the POR food court after a day at the parks. Make your own pasta and make your own salad in particular. Yummy!

For QS, they have a chicken and ribs combo at Cosmic Rays at MK. It's absolutely huge and can easily be split between two people. I believe it's around $20 so for two people, it's cheap. Also Via Napoli in Italy at Epcot. Their pizzas are huge and when divided up, it comes out pretty cheapish between people.

LOL totally disagree. Op, be very careful with the golden "splitting" tip. Disney meals I have found can some times be too big for one adult but no where have I found them large enough for two adults. so what happens is one person is ok and the other person either has to supplement the meal (with fries or something) or is hungry 20 minutes after.

We have done this chicken and ribs combo 10 times because everyone says how "huge" it is. My husband is always mad. lol. I've split with me and my husband, didn't work. Me and my son, nope. my two sons, nope. One son and dh. disaster (disclaimer: my son's were 6 ft 2 in 5th grade. lol )

So op, if it's between one adult and one child than yes it maybe splitable but every time we've split it with two adults it has never ever been enough to satisfy both adults.

no via napoli is a bit different as they are designed to be split and are price accordingly. We get the mezo pizza for 40.00 bucks and a family salad. No way could we split an individual amongst 4

I do think the boulangeria in France has excellent sandwiches for a good price.

We usually do table service. I try to order an appetizer for my meal or my DD and I share a meal. I find the entrée items to be too much food for me and apps are cheaper. I wish more restaurants would offer small plates or half orders. You can also order from the kid's menu if you like the offerings.

We just got back from a trip in April. It was our first time without the DDP and we wanted to save money. I agree that The Plaza and Beaches and Cream are very reasonable. My mom and I also split a lot of meals and were totally satisfied. We'd usually order a salad and an entree and it was more than enough food for us.

We also split meals a lot, both at counter service and table service venues. But, we also like to snack. So split meals for dinner at 6:30 and then each pick a snack while waiting for parade, illuminations, or Fantasmic. That's how we roll!

You know, I really don't consider Ohana all that expensive, even compared to the "real world". I am super frugal and rarely pay full price for meals and typically hunt for the best deals. But for an all you can eat with really good food for just $36 or so ($18 or so for kids) isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of things. Texas de Brazil and most other Brazilian churrascaria (which is what Ohana makes me think of), typically hover in the $35-$60 range. (Texas de Brazil is $50). Granted TdB (which is one that I have been to) uses better cuts of meat (to my tastebuds anyway) and has a more extensive and elaborate cold buffet. Still, for about $36, Ohana isn't all that outrageous.

Also, it helps that it has been sprinkled with pixie dust and is my DH's favorite restaurant in the world :) We have eaten at Ohana (even during holiday surchanges) and paid OOP. And would do it again.

I wouldn't mind paying $36 for my husband and I to eat at Ohana's but I have a real problem paying $36 for my two 11 year olds to eat there. My 11 year old son eats no meat, so the last time he got Mickey ravioli's and my daughter ate a few pieces of steak and a little noodles. We paid almost $100 for them to eat around $5 of food. That's where I think the pricing is unfair. Ten year olds should not be charged the same as an adult man.

Last edited:
When we pay out of pocket, it's one breakfast buffet (Check Mickey's, Crystal Palace, or Tusker House) and the rest counter service. We will generally split things up, too, depending on the portion size. We often go to Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray's at MK, Flame Tree and Restaurantasaurus at AK, Cantina de San Angel, Liberty Inn, Sommerfest, Yorkshire County Fish Shop at EPCOT, and Starring Rolls at DHS. (I have kids, so some of it may seem more kid-friendly than you're looking for lol) Oh, and we always have to have funnel cake from Sleepy Hollow or the appropriately named "Funnel Cake" at EPCOT. And who can forget Dole Whips...? :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter