Paying off Hotel

Disney4me04

Mouseketeer
Do you think it is okay if I send $20 here and there to pay for the hotel. I would send more on other paychecks. But I think I better start paying for it now.

Does that seem silly?

If you are concerned that you won't be able to "hold onto" the money if you save it at home, then I would definitely send it in to pay for the hotel. But if you are a good saver, then I would say save it up until you had a larger amount and send in maybe two or three larger payments, instead of weekly smaller payments. Remember, if you are mailing the payments you have to buy a stamp each time. And of course, there is a greater chance of the paperwork getting messed up with each payment. ..........P

I don't think it sounds silly at all if that $20 will burn a whole in your pocket :). I agree with pjlla ... perhaps you can put the $20 in a new "travel" savings account or into a piggy bank until you get to $100 and then send it in.

We are poor savers so we send some money whenever we can. The last two trips we paid the room off before we got down there by doing this. We have not had any problems with them missing a payment but I do hold onto the canceled checks and bring them with me just in case there is a problem.

Do they send you modifed reservation conformations. Saying they have received this much. I am horrible at saving. The only other idea is to take the 20 and buy disney dollars with it. Then I can hand them 498.00 in disney money. Plus all I have in Disney cash to put on my key to the world card.

I just know that I need to get going on paying for this trip.

Last time we went was in 2000. They did not send something everytime they received the money. You can call them to confirm it but if you hold you checks you should not have a problem. I also go to the Disney Store to buy DD which you can use to pay for the room but we are saving as our food money.

Here is my plan.

I need 174 a month to go to disney. So I am taking 20 of my checks and putting it towards hotel. Going to start taking out 20 and buying DD every 2 weeks. Putting 50 towards air a week. I can not buy air till Jan. When I get vacation approved. That is 180 a month right there. So we should be in good shape. I am planning on having it all paid by Sept. 05.

Any money left the day before payday goes into savings.

Any money left after the trip goes straight for the 2007 trip.

I usually save my money in a savings account and then I usually pay off my room using my cash back credit card about a month before I head to WDW. I then take the money that I saved in the account to pay off the credit card ... that way I get a little bit of interest and cash back from the credit card :)

Are you sticking with your original budget that you posted previously? I know that I replied to it and thought it was quite high. It seemed to me that there was quite a bit that could be cut out or trimmed down a bit. How is all of that planning going?

I sent a check every month until my room was paid off. I kept a check online at the disney website to make sure my payments posted and they always did!! This was much easier for me.

Here is the budget:

Room: 618.80 ( Pop Century -- Preffered room) 5 nights
Air: 500.00
Food: 550
Spending: 400
Transfers: 100
Tickets: 546 ( 5 day hopper Plus)
Tips: 10 (mousekeeping)
Hoop De Doo (100.00)
Fultons Crab House (135.00)

Total: 2959.80

Originally posted by Disney4me04
Here is the budget:

Room: 618.80 ( Pop Century -- Preffered room) 5 nights
Air: 500.00
Food: 550
Spending: 400
Transfers: 100
Tickets: 546 ( 5 day hopper Plus)
Tips: 10 (mousekeeping)
Hoop De Doo (100.00)
Fultons Crab House (135.00)

Total: 2959.80

How many people in your family? I don't think you'll spend $110 per day on food in addition to the $235 you set aside for your special meals. My family of 3 spends about $80-$100 per day on food and that includes special meals and a grocery stop for beer and wine. We also pick up cereal, milk, juice, bagels & cream cheese at the grocery stop for breakfast. The food court at Pop Century will have a microwave and a toaster that you can use :).

IMO, you are so ahead of the game by budgeting and paying in advance!

There is me and DS (14). I so have overbudgeted. I am thinking we are each going to have 100.00 for spending. That is more than enough.

I started to look at what we could order at Fulton's. IF we do the most expensive thing. It is 110.00 with tip and tax.

We are only doing Hoop and Fulton. There others will be just counter service. Not much time for sit down meals as we want to ride the rides and see the shows.

So I am thinking I will be doing okay.

I will get the mugs for us. And have some soda and water sent. Not much. We are going to end up spliting meals. We would rather eat little and get back to the park.

But for now I just want to have the hotel, tickets and plane paid. I can do the rest later.

Just another idea. How about purchasing 2 seven day hoppers? I see you have another trip planned and that way thosepark tickets will be paid for! If you trim down your budget in the food and spending money departments($400.00 seems really high!) you could apply some of that to the 7 day hopper. Hotwire sells these for about $303.00 a piece. Also, your trip sounds wonderful, but EXTREMEMLY action packed! I really can't imagine doing a park, and the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at night, or a biig dinner at Fulton's.
I personally would be way too tired. Also, if you are shipping soda and water down, why buy mugs? It doesn't seem like you will be at the Pop Century much to even use these mugs.

Originally posted by momtofour
Tomorrow I send the first hotel check in.

Here is the plan:
Arrive October 26th -- hang out at pool (if warm) I plan to be at hotel by 1 or 2 pm. If not hang out at DownTown Disney. Then go to Hoop that night

October - 27 Magic Kingdom day

October 28 -- Epcot ( can we all say Food and Wine)

Octover 29th -- Animal Kingdom -- Fullton's Lunch (this may change)

October 30th -- Whatever Park I am missing

October 31st -- Fulton's Lunch -- I want a late flight home (like 5 or 7 pm)

This is just off the top of my head.

Also I agree I have already decided to cut the spending down to 100.00 each. Plus any DD we get for Birthday and Christmas. I already started spreading the word... that we are going to the world.

7 day hopper is a great idea. I am still in the planning and playing with the budget time. The only 2 things I have to get set in place.

Hotel: done
Flight: can't do much right now but save the money. My dream is to fly midwest express non stop!

We each got to pick a dinner. I chose Hoop and DS chose Fulton's. I did do a quick what we would eat there. Using the most expensive thing we liked Total with Tip was 110.00.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions you guys give me.

I still think you have lots of extras in your proposed budget. You are paying $60.00 extra for a preferred room. My little research into what a preferred room at the Pop Century is indicates that it merely is a room in the 60s building. Can you do without that? Eliminate that and you have another $60.00 towards something you can really use. Also, if you are planning on counter service meals for the most part, I think you can cut that food budget in half. Why not buy some of those Qand C vouchers? Also, have you been to Disney in the last 5 years or so? Your itinerary is unbelievable! I just returned from Disney two weeks ago. Myself and my son went to the Magic Kingdom one day, Epcot the next, and Animal Kingdom the third. We ended up leaving the Animal Kingdom by 2:00. After a while you don't even see the attractions, or appreciate what you are doing. In my opinion, you should break this up a little more!

You are paying more for your value resort than you would pay for a moderate resort. There are usually codes out for that time of the year with pretty good room discounts.

I have not been to Disney since I was 10 and 11. I will be 38 when we go. Man did I just say 38!

Someone share with me how they would plan out that 5 day trip. Seeing Epcot and AK is a must. I have never seen them.

I am thinking about vouchers. Please understand I am still so much in the planning stage and saving. Just cause I save that much does not mean I will spend that much.

I am willing to take all ideas you have out there.

I will not use Mears so Transfers are going to cost me!

Originally posted by Disney4me04
I have not been to Disney since I was 10 and 11. I will be 38 when we go. Man did I just say 38!

Someone share with me how they would plan out that 5 day trip. Seeing Epcot and AK is a must. I have never seen them.

I am thinking about vouchers. Please understand I am still so much in the planning stage and saving. Just cause I save that much does not mean I will spend that much.

I am willing to take all ideas you have out there.

I will not use Mears so Transfers are going to cost me!

Well.... we need a starting point.... approximately how much were you planning on spending, how many people in your party, did you want to stay onsite only or would offsite be a consideration, what time of year are you going and I assume since you mentioned transfers that you are flying?? Lots of questions.

If you are a very frugal person or think that you will be on a tight budget, for onsite really the only choice will probably be a value resort (PopCentury or the All Stars) or possibly a cabin in Fort Wilderness (they sleep at least 6 and have a full kitchen... more money than the value resort rooms, but more options for eating and better for a large group). The value resorts only allow 4 people per room (including children), so if you have 5 people (assuming no infants) you would need at least two rooms at the value resorts.

There are lots of arguments about onsite versus offsite. Each has their pros and cons. We choose offsite only because we want a suite and we are frugal (read "cheap") and refuse to pay over $100/night for a suite onsite when we can get one down the road for $59/night with free bkfst! But we have stayed onsite in the past (pre-kids) and cannot deny that there is something "special" and "magical" about being surrounded by Disney.

Check into the price of transfers versus rental car. Sometimes it is just as inexpensive to have a car versus paying for transfers. And you have more hotel/restaurant options with a rental car. Plus if you are considering doing Universal, SeaWorld, or anything like that, a car would help. (Although since you have only 5 days, I will assume it will be Disney only).

Are you willing to spend every day in the parks or did you want a day off during the week to relax? Since you seem to want to see a lot, I will assume you will visit a park each day. What my family does is a park per day with the last day spent revisiting MK (it is our favorite park). But some people do a park in the morning, back to hotel to swim/rest, and then a different park in the evening. If you go during high season the park hours are MUCH longer and it gives you more options. Since we go during value season, the park hours are much shorter. We have something like.... AK from opening until closing (9-5), hop over to MK for evening parade and fireworks and stay until closing (about 9 pm). And some people choose to hop to Epcot every evening, as it is usually open the latest.

If you haven't been in a while and haven't seen anything other than MK, I personally would plan one park per day and either spend the extra day resting mid week (and seeing DTD) or spend it on the last day seeing whatever you felt you missed.

Just to give you an idea, as far as a budget (and of course, this is just my experience) we fly from New Hampshire or Boston (depending on the rates), get a rental car, stay off site in a 1 bedroom suite for $59/night that is 10 minutes from the parks (8 nights most recently), get free bkfast each day, usually counter service lunch and offsite dinner (no place fancy). Sometimes we eat in the room (subs, pizza, mac/cheese). We usually have one or two character meals (last time we had CRT bkfst and Chef Mickey dinner), spend about $100 each on souvenirs. We had 5 day park hopper plus tickets. Additionally, on our last trip we spent one day each at SeaWorld (and did Dine with Shamu) and DTD. We don't really limit treats for financial reasons (only for tummy ache reasons) and average a few mickey bars, dole whips, popcorn buckets turkey legs, and sodas a day (DH is a diet coke addict). Our budget is usually in the range of $4000. I know we could do it a bit cheaper (skip the character meals, limit souvenirs and treats, get a cheaper standard hotel room versus a suite, skip the rental car), but we do what we are comfortable with. And I know we could spend WAAAY more.... I'd love to stay at the Poly or the CR, have more character meals, etc, but again, we do what we are happy/comfortable doing. Plus I am just frugal by nature and it would seem like a waste to me to spend $200/night on a room that I am only sleeping and showering in!

I have never used the vouchers, despite the fact that my frugal nature has made me look into them. I feel that they would "lock" me into eating at specific places too much. I would like more freedom. Plus I would feel like I would have to order lots of food to "get the most" for my money. Since DH and I are always trying to watch our weight, it wouldn't be the best choice for us. But I know it works out for others.

Anyhow, since this post is too long already, I will end here. Please let me know if you have any more specific questions.....P

Who is going:

Me - 38
DS -14

When:
October 26-31, 2005

Staying at Pop Century

Flying in from Milwaukee, WI

Do not have car nor do I drive

Must do:
Hoop De Doo
Fultons

The rest is up for grabs at this point still.

I WILL NOT use MEARS so transfers are going to cost more.

Go for it --- Give me all your ideas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter