• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paying for vacation

I have often wondered how ppl can afford a Disney trip. I've priced them out and never thought I could swing it. I was hit with pixie dust and we are going in December. I won a trip from a local radio station :) ! The package includes 2 nights at DLH and 3 day park tickets for 4 ppl. It will be Me, DBFF, DS (15) and DD (14).

I added two more nights to the hotel stay (so we would have full days in the parks and not have to travel home on a park day) $660 with tax.
I am holding out on air fare. Right now it is about $220 pp but I won't pay more than $160 pp : total $632.
Transportation to and from airport $110 with tip
Food $500.
$50 ea spending money : $200.
Walk in Walt's footsteps tour $356.
Total $2,458

I saved $660 on hotel and $1060 on tickets. Would have cost us $4178 If I had not won the trip. Also if I had not won we would staying off site for less than $100 per night for a trip total of $3258.

I have been saving every dollar I could since early this year and I am so very close to having my trip paid for. I feel very lucky to be in this situation.

I have often wondered how ppl can afford a Disney trip. I've priced them out and never thought I could swing it. I was hit with pixie dust and we are going in December. I won a trip from a local radio station :) ! .

Congratulations!!! I'm always trying to win those trips, but honestly, we can afford to go, so a big part of me would rather someone who can't afford it win. I'm really pleased to hear you are getting to go when you otherwise couldn't.

I hope you have an amazing trip!!! We love the parks in December. You've come to the right place to get the tips to help you maximize your fun!

Last time we went - 2a and 1c 9

$ 3305.00 cdn included:

airfare from Vancouver
7 nts at the HOJO
Round trip transfers on the DL Express
5 Day Park Hopper Tickets
1 Day Universal Studios incl round trip transfers

I also brought with about $2000 spending money budgeting for about $200/day plus I wanted to upgrade my room at the HOJO. Pixie dust though, and they comped us the upgrade. I came home with money despite buying a nice watch and a pair of Maui Jims.

Exactly and now you have numbers ranging from 3000 to 14,000. I am sure you could stay at a camp ground, visit the parks for one day, eat subway, and spend $200 if you are only one person. We spent $6700 last month.
If you want realistic numbers for your family and tastes you need to price a vacation. I was trying to help you know how to do that. Then after you have a ballpark number then you can research each piece further. Prices will vary based on flights, which hotel, how many people, time of year, number of days, eating habits, etc.

Is it possible that the OP was simply curious about what different people spend on their trips and how they spent? I don't think the question of how to price a vacation was ever brought up. I am on a trip right now but I was very interested in seeing how others are doing it or have done it.

Anyways...for myself, my wife, my two teens and my one year old:
$0 for flights (perk of working in the industry)
$150 for a 4 day car rental
$500 for 4 one day hopper tickets
$836 for 4 nights at rental house walking distance to the parks (first time I've done it and it's awesome)
$150 for lunch and dinner in the parks
$70 on souvenirs
$100 for gas and that brings me to $1806 for the Disney part of the trip. Worth every penny.

We spend about $25,000 a trip. This is why we are poor and can't come back in the near future. There are 6 of us, two adults and 4 kids but one of those kids get charged as an adult. plane fares are up to $8000, we stay 14 days. Annual passes for all of us are $3000, we stayed 4 nights at best western park place inn and the rest we stayed at the Grand. We eat out for every. single. meal. We buy souvenir's, we buy lots of churro's and snacks like popcorn buckets and souvenir cups that come home and sit around getting dusty. We have a meal at the Napa Rose and buy the kids build-a-bears or Ride-makerz cars. Our daughter does the full package of Bibbidy bobbidy boutique. We really have an AWESOME time. We holiday at disneyland like we may never holiday there again and now I'm afraid we may have had our last disneyland holiday. Funds are gone and I am sad. But very grateful to have been able to take our kids there and have amazing times with them and to have made such great memories.

We spend about $25,000 a trip. This is why we are poor and can't come back in the near future. There are 6 of us, two adults and 4 kids but one of those kids get charged as an adult. plane fares are up to $8000, we stay 14 days. Annual passes for all of us are $3000, we stayed 4 nights at best western park place inn and the rest we stayed at the Grand. We eat out for every. single. meal. We buy souvenir's, we buy lots of churro's and snacks like popcorn buckets and souvenir cups that come home and sit around getting dusty. We have a meal at the Napa Rose and buy the kids build-a-bears or Ride-makerz cars. Our daughter does the full package of Bibbidy bobbidy boutique. We really have an AWESOME time. We holiday at disneyland like we may never holiday there again and now I'm afraid we may have had our last disneyland holiday. Funds are gone and I am sad. But very grateful to have been able to take our kids there and have amazing times with them and to have made such great memories.

You win when it comes to trip budget!!!!:thumbsup2 My measly $3500 can't compare to that. Ok $3500 isn't measly on our income, but my kids are too awesome for my wife and I not to save for our trip.

7 nights/6 days: $3350

Hotel: $800
Tickets: $1000
Food: $800
Halloween Party: $250
Spending Money: $300
Gas: $200

Airfare BOI to LAX (round trip)
Transfer airport to hotel
4 nights at Best Western Park Place
4 day Park Hopper

2 Adults for $2100

My in-laws decided to pay for a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip for the whole family. Hubby and I have AP's and go all the time, but this is something they wanted to do:

3 Nights in a 2-BR suite @ DLH - $2,775 (there are 6 adults and 2 kids...this is AP rate)
3 Day Park hoppers for 4 adults, 2 kids - $1,543 (didn't need to buy for DH and I)
Cabana Rental @ DLH Pool for an afternoon - $149
F! Dessert Package Seating for all - $460

Now up to $4,927, not counting food and souvenirs.
Not sure what they've budgeted for that, but I know they are paying for at least one family meal per day, either breakfast (including one character breakfast) or dinner. The rest of the meals/snacks are on us individually.

I am planning on buying the PP+ for them and will put together a huge photo album afterwards as a thank you for this trip.

Is it possible that the OP was simply curious about what different people spend on their trips and how they spent? I don't think the question of how to price a vacation was ever brought up. I am on a trip right now but I was very interested in seeing how others are doing it or have done it. Anyways...for myself, my wife, my two teens and my one year old: $0 for flights (perk of working in the industry) $150 for a 4 day car rental $500 for 4 one day hopper tickets $836 for 4 nights at rental house walking distance to the parks (first time I've done it and it's awesome) $150 for lunch and dinner in the parks $70 on souvenirs $100 for gas and that brings me to $1806 for the Disney part of the trip. Worth every penny.

Where did you find the house rental? Thanks

Congratulations!!! I'm always trying to win those trips, but honestly, we can afford to go, so a big part of me would rather someone who can't afford it win. I'm really pleased to hear you are getting to go when you otherwise couldn't. I hope you have an amazing trip!!! We love the parks in December. You've come to the right place to get the tips to help you maximize your fun!

Thank you so much! I feel incredibly lucky. And because it is a dream vacation I am doing everything in my power to make it the best for my kids. That is why I figured out how to come up with the money to extend the stay at DLH. It will be magical! They deserve at least one trip like this!

well my trip in nov keeps changing because i'm moving and finding small things we need to new house.

Disney 675-4day tickets from race
520- 5 night- desert inn
360-tour + seats for parade hot coco mug and snacks, and F+ chair and deserts
200-bus
50 cabs?
70 pp
Pins- $40
40 snacks 4 days 3 ppl
40- Lunch at New Orleans mc.
60- 3 meals
----2055 trip---
fun stuff treats and extra gifts will be done with savings and swag bucks looking to be about 100 a person

over all right around 2500
It is almost 800 more than a trip we made a few years ago but I added 360 for tour and stuff, and then the foods gone up and so has hotel even at desert inn. Taxes are insane, and tickets prices even with race prices still seem so high.

Airfair for 3 (DTW to LAX)- $1077.00
Transportation from and to airport- $175.00
Hotel for 7 nights (Stovalls) - $705.88
(4) 5 Day Park Hoppers (We bought my mom's as a gift) - $1063.00
(4) ART 5 day pass (kids free) - $45.00

I'm not sure what our food ended up being but I'd say our trip was approx. $4000 in total. Airfare was obviously a large cost.

Our usual 3 day trip would be around $2000. Our next trip is a one day pass plus Halloween party. Here's the breakdown:

Halloween tickets for 4= $224
One day 1 park tickets for 4= $388
2 nights hotel = $300
Goofys Kitchen breakfast= $140- 10% Disney visa
Gas = $175 roundtrip

Total approx. $1200- $300 Disney visa reward dollars= $900 plus 2 lunches and 2 dinners

$800 USD per person for us which includes round trip flights from Spokane to SNA, 7 nights at the Fairfield Marriott, 5-day park hoppers and round trip shuttle to/from airport.

We don't normally do TS restaurants so we budget about $120/day for food for the 4 of us. We don't spend a lot on souvenirs as I've always felt that clothes from Disney are one of those things that look great at Disney but how many people actually use/wear them outside of Disney. But the kids usually get a stuffy or two and a few other trinkets.

We just spent:

$1800 on hotel (3 room suite for 4 nights, split with my parents so $900 each)
~$430 on tickets for the kids (we have APs)
~$150 on gas
$70 on PP+ (but split with my parents so $35 each)
~$350 on food. We ate lunch and dinner in the parks (CS) except one night we got Tony Romas. We got minimal snacks this trip as it was so hot. My parents treated us to ice cream one night.
$33 on souvenirs. Have 2 kids, each got the same thing, a Thumper plush which was ~$16 with my discount. My parents bought them a $10 airplane each. I got myself a hat, but used a giftcard I got for Christmas so it only cost me a dollar!

I was hit with pixie dust and we are going in December. I won a trip from a local radio station :) QUOTE]

I just want to cry with happiness for you :yay:. I hope you have the most wonderful time of your life!!!! And yippiee for that pixie dust -- I have always heard it finds those most deserving of it!!!!!

Have a great vacation!!!!

Hi!

We have 2 adults, a 3 year old and a 1 year old and are traveling in August.

We are flying from Vancouver BC to LAX. We bought our package Vacation through WestJet Vacations for $3325.00

This included:

- Return airfare from Vancouver to LA for 2 adults and one child.
- 4 day/park hopper tickets for 2 adults and 1 child.
- 5 nights accommodations at the Howard Johnson
- return transportation from LAX to the Howard Johnson using the Disneyland Express Shuttle service
- Travel insurance
- all taxes and fees

We then budgeted around $1000 for food, snacks, treats, and souvenirs while in the park.

This is pretty accurate for us too! Ends up being about $4000 for the four of us (though we stay in a time share rental instead of a hotel.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter