Paying extra for "cruise credit."

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
Is there a way to pay extra toward a cruise, so essentially there is "cruise credit" on our reservation(s) to use?

On the DCL website, it seems to only let me pay up to the balance of the cruise. Can we call in to pay extra?

Or, do we have to wait until we board?

Down at the bottom (I think) you can purchase onboard credit which applies to your room bill for booze, excursions, adult dining, and so on. Say you purchase $300 and your bill at the end is $350 your credit card on file only gets charged for the extra $50. However! If your bill is $250, you don't get that extra $50 back

Down at the bottom (I think) you can purchase onboard credit which applies to your room bill for booze, excursions, adult dining, and so on. Say you purchase $300 and your bill at the end is $350 your credit card on file only gets charged for the extra $50. However! If your bill is $250, you don't get that extra $50 back
Cruise credit purchased is refundable. The unused amount will be credited back to the original form of payment.

Cruise credit given to you by DCL as part of a onboard booking perk or if they award cruise credit to make up for something like a port missed due to mechanical issues is nonrefundable, but that cruise credit will be depleted prior to any refundable credit.

I noticed that the credits were identified as refundable and nonrefundable in the Navigator app, which made it easy to track.

However! If your bill is $250, you don't get that extra $50 back
Credit that you purchase yourself is refundable if not fully used. Some other credits are non-refundable, and charges will be applied to those credits first. Non-refundable credits include those from DCL (such as FCC) or travel agents.

OP - you (or your TA) can call to add OBC, or you can use the gifts form. You don't just "overpay." If you use a Disney Visa and purchase OBC in advance, it will qualify for the 0% interest offer; charges to your credit card while onboard do not.

Credit that you purchase yourself is refundable if not fully used. Some other credits are non-refundable, and charges will be applied to those credits first. Non-refundable credits include those from DCL (such as FCC) or travel agents.

OP - you (or your TA) can call to add OBC, or you can use the gifts form. You don't just "overpay." If you use a Disney Visa and purchase OBC in advance, it will qualify for the 0% interest offer; charges to your credit card while onboard do not.

I took a cruise back in 2019 and I had two types of onboard credit. The first was from DCL because that used to be one of the perks of booking a placeholder reservation onboard. The other credit was from my TA. The DCL credit was nonrefundable, but the TA credit was completely refundable. Is my TA special?

I took a cruise back in 2019 and I had two types of onboard credit. The first was from DCL because that used to be one of the perks of booking a placeholder reservation onboard. The other credit was from my TA. The DCL credit was nonrefundable, but the TA credit was completely refundable. Is my TA special?
Probably not. Credit from Costco is refundable.

Has anyone been able to successfully add onboard credit in the recent weeks? Each time I try to add onboard credit (or any other product) it gives me an error page and I never can actually view my cart to check out.

The DCL credit is DCL's gift, the other credit is your own money / your TA's gift.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to successfully add onboard credit in the recent weeks? Each time I try to add onboard credit (or any other product) it gives me an error page and I never can actually view my cart to check out.
I had the some problem, I posted about it here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...rd-gifts-page-recently.3856543/#post-63459852

I ended up having to call to get the credit added. I guess it's good to know what I'm not the only one who had trouble! I was able to add another item (beer mug) with no problems online, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter