Paul & Debbie’s Upgraded Upgrade Report!

paulanddebbie

Earning My Ears
Paul & Debbie’s Upgraded Upgrade Report!

Featuring - Paul-25, Debbie-30, Jessica-11 months, Paul's Mum-53 and Debbie's Mum-51!

Staying at - The Disney Land Hotel, DLRP. Mon 30 Jan 2006 - Thurs 2 Feb

Well, after so much build up and excitement I’m back home writing this report and its all passed by in a flash, but what a time we had. Here’s what happened!

DAY 1
We set the alarm for 6am on the Monday morning (30th Jan). We were all ready to go; myself, Debbie, our 11 month old daughter Jessica, my Mum and Debbie’s Mum. We set off to Leeds Bradford airport at 7:30am and arrived there just after 9am due to traffic and an accident just near the airport which sent us on a detour!! (Nightmare! We were panicking!). Anyway, I dropped everyone off at the drop-off point and parked the car in short stay, we checked-in and then I went and re-parked the car at Sentinel secure car park which I must add is a very good service. Our Jet2.com flight was on time at 11:15am, we were nervous as this was the first time Jessica had flown. However, we strapped her in for take off and kept her amused, we made our way to the run way only to have to turn back as the captain had discovered a fault with the planes safety detection system! Oh no! We then had to get off the plane and go back to our gate. I was so disappointed as I thought we would have a massive delay and I hate being delayed on the outward journey as it wastes valuable park time!!! Luckily, a reserve plane was available and it only ended up delaying us by an hour . The flight went great and Jessica seemed to love it! At Paris CDG we quickly got the VEA to DLRP and our hotel; the Disneyland Hotel.
As most of you know, we had originally booked to stay in the Newport Bay Hotel but a few days before our stay Debbie received a telephone call from a Disney Cast Member from the Disneyland Hotel. She told us that unfortunately they had overbooked the Newport and apologised, she then offered us the Disneyland Hotel at no extra charge! JACKPOT! Of course we accepted instantly, we were over the moon and couldn’t believe our luck.
Anyway, we arrived at the hotel at around 4pm and drove up to the stunning entrance complete with frozen water fountains! A porter took our luggage from us straightaway. We entered the hotel and were amazed at its beauty. This was a stunning hotel. It looked better than it did in brochures/photos which can’t usually be said for many hotels. The massive fireplace, the giant graceful chandelier, the huge main steps and balconies; all stunning. I headed for reception to check-in. The cast member was so welcoming and friendly. She went through check-in and then told me that they had a special surprise for us. I was puzzled, she told me that they had upgraded us free of charge to the Castle Club!! I was shocked but soon started grinning. Thoughts started running through my head of what I could remember in the brochure about the Castle Club; private floor, Private reception/breakfast, free drinks etc etc!!! I was then given 12 VIP fast pass tickets that would allow us instant entry at any time to the rides!! Wow! We then made our way to the lift that we got to the second floor, then along the corridor until we arrived at the Castle Club private reception. We had to use our Castle Club door key to swipe for this lift as it was only available to guests staying in those rooms, we went to the third floor and made our way to our room; 2326. On our way there we looked over the balcony and beside the Piano Bar where the grand piano is we noticed that Pluto was there playing it! We swiped into our room and the porter was waiting who delivered our cases. We were all stunned by the room. It was larger than the usual Disney hotel room for a start. The bathroom was stunning, all finished in marble. Their was a King and Queen size bed which Jessica absolutely loved throwing herself around on! We had an automatic mini-bar, two safes, dressing gowns, slippers, a beautiful white cot and twin balconies overlooking Fantasia Gardens with a superb view of Disney Village and Walt Disney Studios. This was a stunning room. We quickly unpacked the essentials and got ready to spend the rest of the day in the park. We made a quick visit to our private breakfast room where afternoon tea was being served with cakes such as brownies, cookies etc. We had the choice all day of free cakes, hot drinks and cold drinks (excluding alcohol). All were served to you in style by the friendly waiting staff. What made it even better was through the giant windows we had a stunning view of Main Street and the Castle.
We then made our way to the Disneyland Park by our own lift. We entered the lift and had to swipe our card which then took us directly to the park entrance. We exited the lift and there we were, directly outside the park gates where you swipe through!! How convenient! As we entered the park it was getting dark so all the lights were on in Main Street, magical! The whole place had been decorated for the kids carnival. We had a quick look in the shops but Debbie and I were itching to get to our favourite land and ride; FrontierLand and Big Thunder Mountain! We used our VIP fast pass and made our way to the front of the queue and jumped on the ride! We always love BTM at night, it seems to go faster!! We had a look around Frontierland, Adventureland and then made our way to the Castle and Fantasyland. Both our Mum’s were in awe of everything as we showed them around and pointed things out to them. We later used the parks baby facility to feed and change Jessica, big thumbs up here as the facility was extremely clean and well equipped with a cast member available at all times. As 8pm drew nearer we made our way to the exit of the park and waved to Mickey who was waving to everyone leaving. We walked through the turn styles and straight into the Castle Club lift and back up to our room for a quick refreshment and to get changed. Later that night we all ate at Annettes and really enjoyed it. We all had burgers which were lovely especially the BBQ one! As we got back to the hotel later we went into our private lounge-bar where we had a night cap whilst watching the dancers/performers and technicians rehearsing the kids carnival. Bed at around 11:30pm….exhausted!!!!

DAY 2
I was up first at 7:30am and had to drag the others out of bed! We went to the lounge-bar for our breakfast at around 8:30am, the bar was almost empty except for Mickey and Minnie who were lurking around! We had photo’s took and had a bit of fun with them before taking our seats. Breakfast was lovely. Waiters brought you hot drinks whilst juices were available to help yourself to. Juices were very nice and were freshly squeezed. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon and veal sausage. Toast, Croissants, bread rolls, a selection of jams and marmalades, fresh fruit salad (very refreshing!), cereals, donuts/cakes etc. After this we made our way to the DisneyLand park again where we spent our day. We had a look around the shops down Main Street and eyed up what we could purchase in the coming days! Debbie got her pins out and began swapping with cast members! The park was very busy, far busier than it was exactly the same time two years ago, maybe down to the advertising of the Magic Unlimited season. The park seemed to have far less younger children than before and instead had plenty of college/school groups, couples etc. Debbie and I were itching to get to FrontierLand again so we made our way there and hopped straight onto Big Thunder Mountain. I then bought Jessica a large Minnie balloon to tie to her pushchair. Debbie, her Mum and I then went on Phantom Manor (my Mum chickened out!) Phantom Manor was great fun as always! The man at the door was very authentic with his facial expressions, he let me in but kept slamming the door on Debbie and her Mum!! Half way through the ride it stopped but we were quickly told by a scary voice that it was those pesky spooks again playing games and to stay seated, we were underway again in a minute or two! After that we made our way to Adventure Land. When we came two years ago Debbie rode Indiana Jones backwards but I chickened out however this time I said to myself I would ride it with it being forwards again. We queued up and the theming was superb especially the large steps with snakes on! We got on the ride and it was over in a couple of minutes, it was very fast, the fastest coaster I have been on as I only got into them about a year or so ago. It was very smooth but it was only when the ride was over that I noticed the sign warning you to hold your head back and I had been all the way round with my head slightly forward so it got banged about loads and my ears were killing! Maybe I would have enjoyed the ride more had I followed the safety instructions!! We then made our way to Pirates Of The Caribbean. It took a lot of convincing but we managed to get both our Mum’s to ride it! Off they went so we waited for them where the ride ends. Ten minutes later they came out shouting at us (jokingly) as they had managed to get soaked (don’t know how, we never have!). We also never told them about the two drops, we must have forgot! We made our way to the Photo Point to have a look at their faces when on the large drop…it was hilarious, they were both huddled together with their scarves over their heads with terrified looks on their faces!!! Ha ha ha ha!!!!!
Anyway, we made our way to Fantasy Land. Debbie and I rode a few rides that we hadn’t been on before such as Snow White, Pinocchio, the carousel and our favourite; Peter Pan. To say Peter Pan is a ride aimed more at children we absolutely loved it!!! We then had a look in the Castle and made our way into Discovery Land where we all went on Honey I Shrunk The Audience which both Mum’s absolutely loved! We also watched The Legend Of The Lion King show for 10 minutes or so from beside the stage near the toilets! It was interesting to see the Buzz Lightyear ride being worked on, looking forward to that being completed. We then made our way back to Main Street where we fed Jessica and treated ourselves to a Croque Monsieur from Market House Deli whilst waiting for The Wonderful world Of Disney Parade to begin. We stood right at the front and really enjoyed the parade as always! Jessica loved watching all the bright characters and floats, especially the characters that came up to her to kiss her! After this we made our way back to the hotel for afternoon tea and cakes. We relaxed in the lounge-bar for a while and as it turned dark Debbie and I went back into the park on our own for a while, just so we could go and ride Big Thunder Mountain in the dark as its best when its dark! We rode Peter Pan again along with Pirates and Phantom Manor and then made our way back to the room. We got freshened up and made our way to Disney Village where we planned to eat at Planet Hollywood. However, on arrival in the village we realised that Planet Hollywood was closed due to a private function that was being held (that can’t have been cheap!) so again we ate in Annettes as we all fancied Fajitas, which are my personal favourite. Everyone enjoyed them. We had a wander around the Village shops, Debbie swapped a few pins and we bought a few souvenirs. We made our way back to the hotel, had a night cap and were in bed by around 12. Exhausted!

DAY 3
Again I was up first (like a kid on Christmas morning!) at around 7am. I was ready half an hour later and managed to get everyone else up and dressed by around 8:30am! We had breakfast this morning with Peter Pan and Pluto. We made our way to the Studios at around 10:15am and had a look around Front Lot and Studio 1. Then we all went on the Studio Tram Tour. Both Mum’s loved it but we were a little disappointed because in Catastrophe Canyon when the water was falling down the rocks the truck never moved and water never came in from over the top of the carriages. It was a little disappointing and seemed a bit of an anti-climax. However, fun as usual! The forthcoming Tower Of Terror was well on the way with the building structure looking complete. That will be something to look forward to. Its a very large structure that can be seen from Disney Village, our hotel and the DisneyLand Park. We then made our way to Armageddon. My Mum chickened out again so she looked after Jessica whilst we went inside. We didn’t tell Debbie’s Mum too much about this so she was very surprised and absolutely loved it, especially the big central fireball which she thought had burned her eyelids! We had a look around the shops and attractions and took our places to watch the Disney Cinema Parade at 1:30pm. We tucked into a Crepe with Chocolate sauce whilst waiting! Both Mum’s and Jessica loved the parade as they enjoyed seeing the more familiar characters, plenty of the characters came up to Jessica and waved at her, shook her hand and kissed her! The parade seemed to pass by very fast today, faster than usual. In the afternoon we all went back for tea and cakes and to change and feed Jessica. Debbie and I went back into the park alone again and rode our favourite rides. We went back to Thunder Mountain when it was dark but unfortunately it was closed due to technical problems, this left Frontier Land empty! We went on Phantom Manor and made our way back to the hotel. That night both Mum’s ate in King Ludwigs Castle which they didn’t enjoy due to small portions and the waiter not returning their bill change and assuming he had been tipped with it! We ate in Planet Hollywood though after a wait and had a superb meal. It was a 23 euros meal deal that included a drink (including lager), a starter or sweet of your choice and a main course. We decided to share. I had a 1664, Debbie had a coke. We shared the starter which was loaded potato skins filled with melted cheese, chorizo sausage and a side portion of sour cream. Our waitress brought us a plate each so we could share. They were lovely. Onto the main course and Debbie had roast chicken that came with mash and vegetables whilst I had a double decker BBQ burger and fries. My burger was massive and took some eating! Both were very nicely presented. We then shared (large) Profiteroles for desert that were scrumptious! This was the best meal we have had in DLRP and cost us 46 euros. We got a few more souvenirs in the Village shops and made our way back to the hotel for the usual night cap and bed at 12!

DAY 4 - FINAL DAY
We were all up at 7am to pack. We went and filled up on our breakfast and Debbie and I sneaked out at 10am for one last ride of Big Thunder but when we got there it was closed again! We were gutted but opted for Pirates instead. We retuned to our room at 10:45am, the porter collected our luggage at 11am and we checked-out. The VEA picked us up at 11:40am and we caught our flight on time from Paris CDG. We arrived back at Leeds at around 2:30pm exhausted but having had a fantastic time!

In summary we had a great time. It was our first time abroad with Jessica and she seemed to love it all with so much to take in. She was fine flying which worried us beforehand. Our Mum’s enjoyed it so much . The DisneyLand Hotel was absolutely stunning and the Castle Club was fantastic. The hotel is so convenient and I hope we can return again one day. The parks were very busy compared to the same time two years ago with such a varied range of guests young and old. We were certainly lucky with the weather, it was cold at around 5 degrees and sometimes at night down to minus 5 but the sun was always shining with no rain or snow unlike our trip at the same time 2 years ago when it snowed all the time! We were disappointed that Big Thunder broke down on us but were impressed with some of the rides we haven’t been on previously. The parks were in great shape and looked good for the Kids Carnival. It was nice to see plenty of maintenance work being carried out such as painting/touch ups. Full credit also to the cast members who were all so polite, friendly, cheery, helpful and fun. It always makes a big impression on me and is appreciated. We are already planning our next trip which I am hoping will be November for the Christmas period but if that fails it will be January again next year, hopefully in the Newport or Sequoia or maybe even, fingers crossed, , the Castle Club in Disneyland Hotel!! Ah well, I can dream! Thanks for reading.

Paul thank you for sharing a lovely report :)
The excitement and the description of DLH came right through your report.
Lovely memories :goodvibes

Loved the trip report! Can only imagine how amazing it must have been in Castle Club! Hoping some piccies might make their way in soon? Greedy arent I!!!

Thanks for a great report!! I'm so glad that Jessica's and the Mums first trip to DLP was such a success. :goodvibes And how fabulous to have experienced Castle Club for the price of the Newport Bay!!!! :thumbsup2

Paul, I really enjoyed reading this, thanks so much for sharing. :)

The DLH sounds out of this world, especially Castle Club! :lovestruc

paulanddebbie said:
Not sure how to post pics otherwise I would have done in the original post

Hi Paul,

to upload pictures is no big deal! Just go to http://imageshack.us/ there you don't need to register or something. Just upload the picture and than copy the link "Thuumbnail for forums" and put it in here! And that's is! 100% free and very easy!

Please give it a try we want to see the Castle Club! :cheer2: :cheer2:

What a fantastic report !

I was hooked the whole way through. I'm glad you had such a good time and it's made me even more keen to stay at the DLH one day too ! (Although maybe not CC -although I would take a free upgrade if they insisted :rotfl: )

Thanks for the advice on posting images, here they are! Hope they work!!

Room

Room2

View

Bathroom

Jessica with Lion King Hat!

Castle Club balcony

Hotel Entrance

Hotel Entrance2

The View From Private Lounge Bar Of Main St

Hotel

The 3 Of Us With Minnie!

What??!!!! You didn't get a room with a park view?!!!!!!!!!! :earseek:

Just kidding!! :teeth: It all looks wonderful, and I love the picture of Lion King Jessica. Thanks for posting them. :)

Thanks for posting the pics!:goodvibes

Glad you had such a wonderful visit - I'm starting a fund now to stay Castle Club next visit!

Paul great photographs and even though it is only Fantasia Gardens it is a lovely view.
Jessica is a cutie :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter