• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

patches and swimming??

scojos

<font color=peach>I want to be Tinkerbell and fly
i have recently been given morphine patches which you change weekly for my fibro pain and wondered how people coped with swimming? obviously having a quick shower is nothing like totally submerging them for a few hours (and i intend to do lots of floating around the pool lmao!!!

anyone got any advice?

thanks

tracy

I put a Tegaderm over my transdermal patches, but also take an extra. Mine are changed every 3 days, and when I will be swimming, I put them as high on my upper arm or back as possible.

I'm on Butran.. I wear 2 five mg patches..

I just came back from a week in St. Lucia, and they were fine, and I was in the water A LOT~ I changed them at different times during the week, and they held up... Just be thinking of where they are as I have a nice white square on my back :rotfl:

Not sure about yours, but the package info says higher up is the best, and that you can't use the same spot until 3 weeks have passed...

mine have to be on my thighs or butt.... to avoid knocking them i generally put them inside underwear iyswim... and not sure i could put them higher, but i like the idea of patching the patch lol! ty xx

While officially my fentanyl patches should be fine, my skin is altered and keeping patches on for 2 days is tricky enough. Let alone a shower or swim, as its supposed to for 3 days (am on 2 days for dosage reasons).

I hardly swim anyway (lovely but very high risk) but if so or for instance getting in the tub I use a waterproof bandafe barriere times 2 layers. Keeps for about an hour for me, ages for normal situations.

Reapplying is not an option here. These meds are very closely watched to prevent abuse. Using 1 or 2 mire than needed for swimming? You wont get new ones until needed date, period. Beyond that, it can easily cause intakeproblems because the constant input is interrupted. Depends on individual sensitivity but a quick swim can then be enough to result in breakthrough pain.

Youll wan to find what works for you but there are plenty of waterproof foils, bandages and what not you can use to soak for hours. Pharmacy can be a goid place to start.

Oh and youll want to know the working of your patch in Florida temperatures. All these patches come with avoiding direct sun on them, some with more weather related issues. If not sticking to it, it can change the working mechanism. Also some folks find them coming of easier when for instance on skin that sweats.

i have fentanyl patches too, but 7 day ones, i havent read anything about direct sunlight BUT tomorrow i have to go to pharmacy and pick up my " holiday meds, so i ll see what they suggest about sun (tbf im really not a sun worshipper due to my milky white skin going a lovely shade of scarlett lmao) so i do find shade where i can - unfortunatley in mid aug this isnt going to be much of an option tho i hear there are loads of thunder storms around at mo....

t xx

Direct sunlight is pretty literally; direct sunlight onto the patch. So when for instance sticking it on an upperarm and not wearing a shirt with sleeve covering the patch when out and about a Florida sunny day. Or when wearing a very flimsy shirt (you'll know the one, the type you also could get sunburnt in when wearing them, not using sunscreen underneath, having sensitive skin and then spending a day out in a blistering summer sun) over it and full sun on it for hours. So it's nothing like some might know from antibiotics where one would have to stay clear from direct sunexposure themselves, with this it's nothing more than the patch. You can kinda compare it to having guidelines how to store medication in pill forms at room temperature or certain fluid medication in a fridge to keep it from spoiling, dosage/working altering. Don't know about all the fentanyl brand patches (there are more than one brand) so you'll want to find out about yours but there are quite a few that come with info to be aware of this.

I wear my patch on my ribcage, mostly side. This has the bonus of your upperarms protecting it very easily long periods of time already since than is a natural posture, is a location that is covered with clothing about almost when out in the sun (and thus public, most of times, esp. at WDW). Tend to wear cotton shirts/tops/whatever upperbody clothing in Florida. Fit cut. Sometimes the side of a bra might cover (part of) my patch if on that height, sometimes not. Have been alternating after 2 days for about 2 years orso now, but also back when it was still 3 days no problems in Florida sunshine with my way of clothing, where I put them and preventing the direct-on-patch sunlight.

Had to learn it the hard way though, thans to info not being that clear in the infobooklet (much clearer discussed in professional info than consumer info, or at least here it is) and me not taking it that seriously reckoning Dutch sun in spring couldn't be all that bad. Since then I always keep a layer of clothes covering it, many times also arm in the way as said and never been a problem since incl. in even harsher sun conditions than Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter