Passports?

My friend who got married in 2004 was able to send her passport in for the name change at no charge and they just typed the info about the name change on the last page. I got married in 2005 and had to pay for a new one (I can see how typing on an existing passport would be a security concern, but I was pretty bummed that I didn't get credit for the years left on my prior passport).

Regarding cruising with birth certificates, I've done 2 cruises with BC only (I think it was actually a copy of the BC and not the real thing, but not 100% sure) but those cruises we were only on CC and US Virgin Islands and my husband and I were both together with the kids. Next time I'm taking them by myself and have 4 international ports and I can't imagine one parent trying to get authorization for a passport in another country (something to consider if you're planning to split up - and I don't know how many people get to get off the boat if there's a medical need requiring transport). I did also ask if my trip insurance would cover the cost of a passport to get home in the event of an emergency and was told no. I did get them passports for the next cruise, but I'm hoping I'll get to use them more than once in 5 years.

I'm pro passports. My last two cruises we had to stop at nearby islands to remove a medical emergency cruiser and family. No you don't need it to cruise, but will need it if you have to fly home from a non US island. All our grandkids have had passports since they were infants. Adults 16 and over are good for 10 years, while under 16 are only good for 5 years.

I'm in the pro-passport club too, for all the same reasons everyone else has already said over and over. That said, I have done a few cruises with just the BC and DL and it was fine. It's really a matter of preference overall, but I just think that if something were to happen and I had to fly home, it would be a lot less hassle to not have to spend a day or more getting an emergency passport in an unfamiliar place. And while I don't have the funds for it right now, in a few years I will and I really like that idea to be able to do last minute trips overseas if I find great deals or if my military friends overseas invite me for a visit. :)

One more thought...

How recently did your own passports expire? Was it less than 5 years?

If they are less than 5 years expired, you will have an easier time of renewing them (can be done by mail). If they are more than 5 years expired, you have to go back to the post office (or where ever, just as you would for your kids). So if you are at 3 or 4 years expired, that would be another reason to renew now, while it is still easy to do by mail before the 5 year mark comes up.
We actually have all the info ready to take to the post office. That won't be too difficult. Mine is more complicated because of the name change. They're probably only about 3 years expired.

If it makes you feel any better, it goes both ways. Us Canadians require passports to travel via air to the US, enhanced ID is okay only by car. But if we drove and didn't take passport I would not get served alcohol in Florida, as a passport is the only valid form of id for us for that.
If the alcohol would be in our way we'd have the passports lol! I lived close to the border when I was in college and the drinking age was 19 on the Canadian side....we made quite a few trips!

What does it mean that they had more trouble locating the info? Who is they?

The border guards always act like they are doing you a favor letting you in (which they are of course lol). They always act like there's something very intriguing on the screen.

As for being located...do you mean for an emergency passport?

Crossing the Canadian border is very simple with the passport FYI! Oh and the kids could get enhanced IDs, yes? Not for the cruise but for Canada crossings? If the passports really aren't ok'd on the home front?

IF an emergency arises, the costs for the passports will be higher than from home and you stand a strong chance of not getting full passports (meaning with the ten years for adults and 5 years for kids). I'm frugal in some ways and that would drive me bonkers.

I'm being strong on this because YOU want the passports. I'm supporting you. :) you're the mama bear and you are worried about something, and I'm trying to help papa bear see it. :) Mama bears get a say, too.

We have passports and DS and I just got NEXUS cards. (DH is the sucker who wouldn't listen to me and paid more for Global Entry, which doesn't give him as much as nexus gives us for cheaper) We want our travels to be as smooth as possible. :)

Well it's that they CAN be renewed. It's not that it's easier, but that you can do it at all. Beyond that time and it's a whole new process and higher fee.

I can't remember the specifics but it's possible that the name change will preclude her from a renewal anyway. Check the state dept passport page.
Kids are fine with Copies of birth certificates to cross into Canada. We don't do it too often but there was a certain Canadian whiskey my husband wanted and we took a short detour....he was sure we would have no problems with the kids but I was worried! Maybe we were both right, they did let us in. When I mean locating them....when they pulled us up they have record immediately of our information but didn't see anything on the kids. We had to pull over, go inside, and they found where we had crossed (at a different spot) two years ago in their records with the children with the same birthdate etc, and we were allowed entry. Honestly I get it with child kidnapping and what not....we hadn't planned to go there which is why we didn't have the certificate copies with us. Coming back into The US was not an issue.

This may be a scenario of me planning this trip and him trying to chime in and say I'm overreacting....but...mama bears are protective for a reason sometimes!!

I originally let mine expire because given the name change it was almost as expensive as new one, if I remember correctly.

I'm a big passport fan, but that said the rest of my extended family cruises with us and only uses birth certificates. They've never had a problem (and I do understand that the cost to get 4 at once can be a lot in the budget).

I'll also add that a cousin did need an emergency passport when she had emergency surgery in Mexico and while it was a pain it wasn't THAT difficult (just took a full day of her husband waiting at the consulate).

Again I say get a passport, but if that's not possible it's not the end of the world and you'll be okay (no man without a country scenario for you).
This is good to hear...basically his argument is this as a worst case is not worth the guaranteed cost now! I mean stranded in Haiti with two young children would not be pleasant. I think I would win rights to all future arguments if that were to happen.

From the US State Department website:
If ...
You are requesting the change less than one year after your passport was issued
Then...
Submit the following by mail:
  • Form DS-5504
  • Your valid passport
  • Your original or certified name change document, such as a marriage certificate or court order (no photocopies or notarized copies)
  • One color passport photo
Please note: You will not have to submit any fees unless you request Expedited Service.

If ...
You are requesting the change more than one year after your passport was issued
Then...
If you are eligible to use Form DS-82*, submit the following by mail:
  • Form DS-82
  • Your valid passport
  • Your original or certified name change document, such as a marriage certificate or court order (no photocopies or notarized copies)
  • One color passport photo
  • All applicable fees
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/correction.html
Yes! This is why.....my passport was about 18 months old at my wedding.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

So if she got her passport at 16 or older and it has been less than 15 years since she got that passport, she can renew because she would be able to document that name change. Excellent. (sometimes posting on my phone, where I don't have easy access to good webpages (I despise most mobile sites), is barely worth it! can't find anything until I get on my laptop!)

There is no one here trying to scare her into getting a passport. If anyone is reading that into pro-passport posts here, that is not the fault of the writer. Saying "if there's an emergency then this would happen" is NOT trying to scare someone. It's being factual and giving a full answer.
I appreciate all of the input! Worst case scenarios are what I want to be prepared for. I've never been on a cruise before so it helps to hear different perspectives.

I agree, we also have passports.

But, for others, it's still legal for US citizens on a closed loop cruise to travel with just a birth certificate, and (for those 16 and over) at government-issued ID.

It just depends on your comfort level what you do.
Very true and I wish my comfort level was higher!! Haha!!

My friend who got married in 2004 was able to send her passport in for the name change at no charge and they just typed the info about the name change on the last page. I got married in 2005 and had to pay for a new one (I can see how typing on an existing passport would be a security concern, but I was pretty bummed that I didn't get credit for the years left on my prior passport).

Regarding cruising with birth certificates, I've done 2 cruises with BC only (I think it was actually a copy of the BC and not the real thing, but not 100% sure) but those cruises we were only on CC and US Virgin Islands and my husband and I were both together with the kids. Next time I'm taking them by myself and have 4 international ports and I can't imagine one parent trying to get authorization for a passport in another country (something to consider if you're planning to split up - and I don't know how many people get to get off the boat if there's a medical need requiring transport). I did also ask if my trip insurance would cover the cost of a passport to get home in the event of an emergency and was told no. I did get them passports for the next cruise, but I'm hoping I'll get to use them more than once in 5 years.
lol that's funny, because my husband tried to say insurance would cover it and I was like traveling without paperwork out of the country is not covered!!!

I'm pro passports. My last two cruises we had to stop at nearby islands to remove a medical emergency cruiser and family. No you don't need it to cruise, but will need it if you have to fly home from a non US island. All our grandkids have had passports since they were infants. Adults 16 and over are good for 10 years, while under 16 are only good for 5 years.
Those are very lucky grandkids!!!

I recommend passports. That's because I'm a very protective mom who wouldn't even consider taking my son to the Caribbean without both a passport and travel insurance. Non-negotiable in my book. No penny-pinching comes before my child's security.

Last edited:
Good news! I emailed the TA expressing my husband's concern on the passports being unnecessary and then forwarded her response to him...he's decided it's my call now. WOOHOO. Now I'm feeling cheap! Am I reading right, that the renewal costs are the same as the new passport costs?

What's the difference between passport books and passport cards ? We are only doing the 3 night cruise and I don't think I will ever take my 3 and 9 year old out of the country again.
Me and husband have the book and I see it's a lot cheaper for the card

What's the difference between passport books and passport cards ? We are only doing the 3 night cruise and I don't think I will ever take my 3 and 9 year old out of the country again.
Me and husband have the book and I see it's a lot cheaper for the card
You cannot fly from a foreign port back to the US with a passport card. A full book passport is required for that. There's no benefit having a passport card gives you over just using a birth certificate (plus photo ID for those 16 and over). If you're going to buy one, I suggest the full passport book.

You stop at Castaway Cay, which is in the Bahamas, so that is a second foreign port of call.

I'll take a more extreme measure. What if someone tumbles down the stairs, or has cardiac arrest on your steam from the US Virgin islands to Castaway Cay and you must be med flighted or dropped off at closest shore? The Dominican Republic, and Haiti are along that route and you can be sure you'll need an emergency passport to be issued before you fly home. For most travelers this is not a statistically probable outcome, so they may consider not using a passport. Personally, I am in the camp of be prepared with a passport. It also doubles as ID even when you are at home, so for instance, if you have your license stolen, you can use your passport to prove who you are.

This is true...on our WBPC cruise, we woke up one morning going full steam ahead to GUATEMALA!! Sure enough, there was a medical evac and THAT is where they were dumping them off. Its not about going to the best port for medical care...it is whatever is closest and I know for sure...I would want to get back to the states a quick as possible if my medical care was being administered in a 3rd world country and I would not want to wait 3+ days for an emergency expedited passport. Get me on an ambulance plane and fly me home...now!

DD has her passport since she was 6 months old (first trip to WDW and Bahamas on a non-DCL cruise). This time our passports are expiring 5 months after our travel date but I am still renewing them before expiry date. I need that peace of mind. If there is an emergency situation on a cruise, the least I would want to worry about is our passports not being with us or not having valid days for entry.

Last edited:
Just tagging on to this thread with a question. Our daughter turned 16 in December. She has a PA learner's permit which is not a photo ID, just her info. She is not eligible to take her exam until June in PA, so her only government issued ID is her passport. Since this our first cruise with a child that is 16, (cruising the Fantasy in February) we have not needed a photo ID for them to get on and off the ship. If I am understanding correctly, 16 and over need photo ID, so she would need to take her passport off with her? I'm sure there are others that have been in the same situation, so just wondering what you did. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter