passports renewal and getting the "real ID card

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
which is the easy best and quickest way to renew your passport
can you just go back to the post office that does passports--do all post offices do

actually we really dont need the quickest since ours doesnt expire till dec and we have no international travel in mind
but just want to be prepared in case something happens to come up

also it just hit me the other day about the real id card and updating your divers license for it

does anyone have any info on this like where and what you need
so this card will then be your DL and ID for domestic travel

any advice or tips would be great

If you are renewing your passport, pay the extra $15 and get the passport card too. Can be used at land crossings and some sea ports, but is also Real ID compliant so you don't have to mess with your DL if you don't want to. Real ID is already a requirement at some federal installations. Every state seems to be different about what documents you need to bring to get the Real ID change from a non Real ID.

As I recall, the state website for Real ID listed the various choices of documents you can use. You have a choice and don't need all of them. Check your state's DMV website since it sounds like each state may be slightly different. I believe the latest date is sometime in 2025 when you will need a Real ID to fly domestically, but that has already been pushed back a few times for various reasons.

Here is what is on the .gov site.

1713299412392.png

If you have a passport, fill out the online renewal form, get a photo and send it in (full envelope) definitely spend the $30 for the card too. I have both and waiting in real ID because NJ MVC is the lowest level of hell, and I can just use a passport card.

Can be used at land crossings and some sea ports, but is also Real ID compliant so you don't have to mess with your DL if you don't want to.
Sorry, I don't understand this. I have to carry my DL with me everywhere anyways (because I drive), so why would I leave it home in order to carry the PP card (and hope I remember to grab the DL when I return)?

I could understand those close to land borders, but what's the advantage?

Sorry, I don't understand this. I have to carry my DL with me everywhere anyways (because I drive), so why would I leave it home in order to carry the PP card (and hope I remember to grab the DL when I return)?

I could understand those close to land borders, but what's the advantage?
I think they meant that you could use the PP card as your Real ID and not have to go through the process of changing your DL to be a Real ID. You could still carry your DL with you when you travel, of course.

This is the easiest way to renew your passport. I had more hassle getting my updated picture taken since Costco no longer does passport photos. :rotfl2:
We renewed ours online from home, THAT is the easiest way. Took our own picture with our cell phone, uploaded it, software evaluated it, rejected the first one because there was a door jam in the background, they want NOTHING in the background. Had to take my glasses off, even though I only have them off when I sleep.

I think they meant that you could use the PP card as your Real ID and not have to go through the process of changing your DL to be a Real ID. You could still carry your DL with you when you travel, of course.
I've had a Real ID DL for 4 years, just renewed it. Just traveled domestically for the first time with it, no issues at all. The PP card seems like a complete waste of money to me. Why have that, a DL and a Passport when you only need the Real ID DL and Passport.

I've had a Real ID DL for 4 years, just renewed it. Just traveled domestically for the first time with it, no issues at all. The PP card seems like a complete waste of money to me. Why have that, a DL and a Passport when you only need the Real ID DL and Passport.
I think that poster was responding to someone who didn't already have a Real ID DL and did need to renew their passport. In that case, getting the PP card at the time of PP renewal makes sense to me, instead of jumping through hoops (some states are crazy) to get a Real ID DL.

Like you, I've had a Real ID DL for many years, so long that I can't even remember doing anything special to get it when I renewed my DL!

We renewed ours online from home, THAT is the easiest way. Took our own picture with our cell phone, uploaded it, software evaluated it, rejected the first one because there was a door jam in the background, they want NOTHING in the background. Had to take my glasses off, even though I only have them off when I sleep.
You cannot renew online anymore

I think that poster was responding to someone who didn't already have a Real ID DL and did need to renew their passport. In that case, getting the PP card at the time of PP renewal makes sense to me, instead of jumping through hoops (some states are crazy) to get a Real ID DL.

Like you, I've had a Real ID DL for many years, so long that I can't even remember doing anything special to get it when I renewed my DL!
I had to look it up because they keep pushing the Real ID deadline back, but 13 months from now in May 2025 everyone is supposed to have a Real ID......unless they postpone it again.

I just renewed mine at the PO. They took the pic and handled it all. Paid the extra fees to have it expedited. Found that to be the easiest and surest way for me.

Most post offices do them (and if you are renewing for someone under age 16 you cannot renew by mail, only in person), but if you need to go to the post office. then you'll need to make an appointment for most of them, as they have cut the hours when passport processing is available. The post office's appt software frequently goes down, so give yourself plenty of time to get the appt.

Also, in many places, public libraries also can take passport applications, and they tend to have more generous hours than post offices, so if you need to go after work or on a weekend, check with your local library to see if that's an option.

PS: Just FYI for those who need a passport a bit sooner, but not in a true rush situation: you can pay extra to have it sent to and from the State Dept via priority mail. This is not as expensive as full-on expedited service, but it can save as much as 4 weeks, because the standard mail system at the State Dept is S-L-O-W.

My DL expires this year so was looking into the real ID. Mine is turning into an expensive pain. Kudos to Nevada btw. I don't know where my certified BC is, so have to pay $15 for that. (my fault). My first marriage is the quickie NV marriage in 76, so ordered my certified copy of the marriage license from NV for $5 and received it in 3 days. no looking up my marriage license file number. Now, I have to pay Sacramento County $15 to look up my divorce record number for husband 1 and pay 50 cents a page for a copy of my divorce plus a certificatioin fee and mailing fee. Then the same for my marriage license for marriage 2 in Sacramento County (another look up fee, copy fee, certification fee, mailing fee). Then I have to pay Oklahoma $15 for a certified copy of my divorce from #2. Also, kudos to OK for having file numbers online so I don't have to pay a search fee and they responded right away (although, I do have to send a certified or money order as they don't accept online payment but, it's cheap and quick). All of these papers are buried somewhere through the move and I have no idea where they are. (again, my fault). They did say I can use my car renewal for proof of residency as we put everything in my daughter's name for the disability notifications (electricity off etc).

Since I'm doing all of this, when I'm done I'm going to legally change my name back to my marriage #1 name (same name as all my kids and married 25 years). It's in my OK divorce decree to change my name back to that. So I'll be needing these for banks, social security, Calpers and Sacramento County IHSS. I want to make sure all 4 checks go into the right bank accounts with the correct name.

I had to look it up because they keep pushing the Real ID deadline back, but 13 months from now in May 2025 everyone is supposed to have a Real ID......unless they postpone it again.
As Carolyn and others have pointed out, people who have U.S. passports will not need to have a Real ID-compliant driver's license or state identification card.

From the DHS website:
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 4.57.19 PM.png

I now have both, but only because it was time to renew my DL a year ago so I took the necessary documentation to upgrade it to a Real ID. Otherwise I would have kept using my passport past the Real ID "deadline" date. Some people here may well choose to do the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter