• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passports needed for cruising in 2007?

eblack0409

DIS Veteran
I have heard several different dates....we are required to have a passport if we travel out of the country...even on cruises now....well, I think it was supposed to start January 2006, but I have heard that was put off until Jan 2007.....anyone heard a more definative date?

From the DCL website:

Important Passport Information

New Passport Regulations from the U.S. Government
Proposed federal regulations would require all cruise travelers to the Caribbean (including The Bahamas) and Mexico to have valid passports when entering or returning to the United States on or after December 31, 2006. Therefore, guests who are booked on sailings on or after December 28, 2006 need to obtain a passport for each member of their family and provide us with the passport number at least 75 days prior to vacation commencement.

Benefits of Having a Passport
If you don't already have a passport, now is a good time to apply for one! There are many benefits to having a passport:

• No more juggling birth certificates and driver's licenses! A passport is a single document that provides photo identification, as well as proof of citizenship.
  • The convenience of not traveling with original birth certificates. You'll no longer have to worry about losing or damaging these precious documents.
  • Expedited entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors.
For Guests 16 years of age or older, a passport is valid for 10 years, and passports for Guests 15 years of age or younger are valid for 5 years -- so there's plenty of time to use your passport again and again when you sail with Disney Cruise Line®.

How to Get a Passport
Please visit the U.S. Department of State
website or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center at 877-4USA-PPT for more information.

I would get them for any foreign travel. Although not yet required for certain travel, it does make travel a little easier.

Plus, if something unexpected happens, you might need one. This could be anything from a very short notice international trip to a medical emergency during a cruise that results in you being transferred off the ship to a foreign country for medical treatment.

eblack0409 said:
I have heard several different dates....we are required to have a passport if we travel out of the country...even on cruises now....well, I think it was supposed to start January 2006, but I have heard that was put off until Jan 2007.....anyone heard a more definative date?
To be safe, assume you need a passport for any cruise that visits a foreign port and returns to the US after 12/31/2006 (so pretty much all cruises except for the NCL Hawaii cruises).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter