passports from canada

bc1234

Earning My Ears
has anyone researched if a canadian can fly within the us without a passport....thanks

Effective Jan. 23/07, all Canadian citizens need a valid passport to board a flight in Canada bound to the US. Likewise, a Canadian citizen needs a passport to board a plane inside the US.

This all takes effect Jan.23. This has been reported in the news for at least 5 months. Expect to read news reports about Canadians who find themselves holding airline tickets alreaday paid for, but unable to use them because they do not possess a passport and are denied boarding priviledges on flights bound to US destinations. Or, Canadians already in the US and unable to board flights headed back to Canada on or after the 23rd of Jan/07.

I live in Alaska and I drive to Canada they are checking passports now. Check with the travel agents. I called last week to go to London and did ask about passport to go to Canada and they said yes you need them. It takes about 6 weeks.( and that was to fly to Canada)

We live in Canada. We are heading to Disneyland on Jan 22nd.

We applied for our passports in early Dec. There are several ways to apply depending on where you live. In person at a passport office, in person at a govt receiving agent or by mail. THEY ARE HEAVILY BACKLOGGED! I was told on Jan5/07 that I WILL NOT have my passport in time for my trip. I called again first thing Monday the 8th and they were all flagged as urgent. I rec'd them 2 days later.

The media is reporting that you DO NOT need a passport to return to Canada, however the passport office is saying you do.

THis however, only applies to air travel to and from the US. Until next January you are not req'd by law to have a passport to travel between Canada and the US by land or sea. I know that there are some border guards who are ummmm stickier than others.

There is an option to also apply for emergency passport status. I am unsure if this costs more...I would assume so.

Good luck...

we would drive to seattle then fly....so we wouldnt cross by air mainly so we wouldnt have to worry if the passport arived on time

I would double check with the airline, you may be surprised as a Canadian citizen you will likely still need a passport to board that plane.

We drove to Seattle and flew from their. We needed to show government issued ID and had our passports with us. If you cross by land you need a birth certificate and picture ID until 2008 and if you travel to the US by air after Jan 23rd you need a passport. If you travel within the US you do not need a passport just some other form of ID.

When I applied for my passport the application asked me if I wanted it fast and that was much more expensive than the 6 weeks one

Tip: Apply on-line when you seek a passport. You still need to print it out and take it to a passport office. The wait time to be served for people with online printed forms is very short. I waited only 5 minutes at the passport office (RICHMOND BC). BUT, people who filled theirs out manually (using the form available at the post office) had 4 HOUR waits to be served. Children's passports can only be filled out manually, but the parent can present these forms in the online line at the passport office for processing along with the online printed forms.

Our local post offices had a "passport day" today -- they basically opened on a Sunday just to process applications. Not sure if this was happening everywhere or not. We're only about an hour and half from the Canadian border so a lot of people around here travel frequently to and from Canada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter