Passports for Minors

Yankee914

Mouseketeer
I received passports for my children, ages 15 and 11. The 15 year old signed his name on his own passport. What do I do for the 11 year old? Do I sign my name on the passport or can he print his own name or do I sign his name? Anyone know?

This is from the US Department of State Website regarding a minor's signature:

My child is too young to sign his/her own passport. How do I sign my child's passport?

In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child's name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent's name, write the word (mother) or (father) so we know who signed for the child.

Have a great trip. This is what I did for my two minors and never had any problems.

Yankee914 said:
I received passports for my children, ages 15 and 11. The 15 year old signed his name on his own passport. What do I do for the 11 year old? Do I sign my name on the passport or can he print his own name or do I sign his name? Anyone know?
I'm surprised that the 11yo can't sign his name. It might not be an "official" signature, but he/she should be able to do it.

My five year old signed hers. It's not the prettiest but it's hers. It didn't occur to me to sign it for her. I thought they meant infants.

I asked about this when we applied
(because I had seen a similar thread here on the Dis boards without a definitive answer)

This is what I was told:

Even if the child is under age 14, as long as they can sign their name (not print) just their signature is OK.
Otherwise follow the instructions posted by Lynderella and sign for them.

Truth according to my local passport processing office.
As always, your mileage may vary :teeth:

My nine year old signed hers and both the US and Canadian immigration officers said that was the correct thing to do. Parents should only sign if the child can not write or only prints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter